on 24 November 2009
Received this from amazon next day, previously few reviews of this model around on the internet.

The hi-res 1366x768 screen really does make a big difference compared to other netbooks i've seen with the lower res options. Windows 7 seems to run very well, boot up-time is very quick, and playing some AVI & DivX movies, no problem at all in that, and the quality of the screen is fantastic, so looks great too!

Windows 7 Starter has some strange things like no wallpaper changes, and you dont get the aero features but other than that can't really find anything much different. Uninstall a load of the Sony pre-installed bits and it appears to go quicker as well! I also upgraded the memory to 2Gb, despite what it says on the Sony site, it works fine and isn't that tricky to do

The pictures shown of this model aren't quite right. This is the model with the 6 cell battery, resulting in what appears to be around 6hr battery run-time so far with wifi/bluetooth turned on... i expected it to be bigger, and it is! The battery sticks out underneath the netbook more than the pictures show, some people will have an issue with that, it means that it sits at an angle, which is actually quite nice for typing on the keyboard, but equally makes it a little less compact
66 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2010
I bought this netbook in December for a Christmas gift for my wife, and having used it now for a month, it's strong point is clearly the quality of the screen. I own a Samsung NC10 myself, and the higher resolution makes an enormous difference.

I upgraded the RAM to 2Gb and upgraded the Windows Starter to Windows Premium 7, all of which went fine, although the RAM upgrade is much fiddlier than it need be, thanks to Sony hiding it under the keyboard.

Unfortunately, it does have some problems. The keyboard looks lovely, but feels flat and has virtually no feedback. It has to be one of the most difficult keyboards I've ever used for touch typing. It's not because of the size, but rather because of the unresponsiveness of the keys.

The big battery is a drawback as it ruins the lines of the case, although it does prop the keyboard to a slightly more usable position. The battery life, however, is extraordinarily long.

However, the biggest problem with this netbook is the sound quality. While you may not expect much from netbook speakers, the sound is so tinny as to be virtually useless. This might be forgiveable, as many people will use this machine with headphones, but unfortunately the sound is also poor using a pair of Bose on-ear headphones.

The screen beats every other netbook I've seen, but for day-to-day use, I tend to stick with the older, but more comfortable NC10.
on 11 January 2010
EXCELLENT NETBOOK WITH EXCELLENT PICTURE QUALITY VERY PLEASED WITH IT.WINDOW 7 STrter does not allow to setpicture as desktop.
IT WAS THE BEST NETBOOK I PURCHASED OR SEEN IN THE MARKET.I AM UPSET PRICE HAS GONE DOWN SINCE I BOUGHT IT. IT IS FAST WITH AN EXCELLENT BATTERY LIFE.I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH IT EXCEPT PRICE DROP.THESE THINGS CANT BE HELPED. AMAZON DELIVERY WAS PERFECT THANKS VERY MUCH
on 28 January 2010
First class service from Amazon , and a excellent little netbook, screen is the best out there, and item is very well made. Its not the cheapest but happy I paid the extra having viewed the competition.I wanted this to surf the web and read my emails etc and it does this perfectly. Connected to my home network and vodaphone dongle with no problems at all, Windows 7 is very st forward and simple to use at the level I need it for.Battery life is great at around 6 hours as this comes with the bigger 6 cell battery which was a little unexpected, will prob get myself the smaller battery as well to have the option..Best quality netbook out there , o and it looks the part aswell, big battery spoils the lines though.. if that matters to you.Over the moon with it.