Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 October 2009
'The Very Best Of Enya' really highlights the magnificent career of Enya, and is a great reminder of all the classic hits and memorable songs she has given us.

Naturally quite a few of the songs on this CD (in fact about half the CD) are similar to Enya's previous greatest hits package (Paint The Sky With Stars - 1997). It contains all the biggest hits from that album, including many iconic numbers, such as 'Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)', 'Caribbean Blue', 'The Celts' and 'Anywhere Is'.

The rest of the album comprises her songs from 2000-2009. This is the first time these songs have been together on one disc - and so, this alone is a very good reason to buy this album. All of Enya's most popular UK singles from this era are here, including `Only Time`, `Amarantine`, `The Wild Child` and 'May It Be` from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

The CD also features one track that has never been available on any Enya album before, `Aniron (I Desire)`, also taken from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

Unfortunately charting singles like 'Evening Falls', 'How Do I Keep From Singing', 'On My Way Home', 'Only If' and 'It's In The Rain' are missing from this compilation, thus only 4 stars.

Please keep in mind that the CD track listing is different on the CD/DVD version.

I would still recommend `The Very Best Of Enya` to any music fan, as it is a clear explanation of why Enya is one of the most successful singers of all time. A true icon!
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2009
Some might question the purpose of this album, as there already is a perfectly adequate collection available ("Paint the Sky with Stars"), and countless of box-sets on the market. But this one updates her catalogue of hits and highlights, and it is an ideal introduction. Included are all of her biggest and most well-known hits. From the very first "Orinoco Flow" from 1987, to the grossly successful "Only Time" from 2001. In-between are some truly lovely songs, such as an previously unreleased (and extended) version of "Aníron", from "the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" movie. Also included is her Academy Award nominated "May It Be", also from the aforementioned movie. Other highlights are "Storms in Africa", "Caribbean Blue", 2005's "Amarantine" and the formidably beautiful "Watermark". As a hits collection goes, you cannot do any better than this one. A special edition is also available with a slightly diffrent track-list, and a DVD of music videos.
on 1 February 2011
If you've been thinking about listening to Enya, and if something about her voice and her music has been intriguing you, then this album is the perfect entrance to her music. Spanning music from three decades, and featuring most of Enya's best-known hits, just let this wash all over you.

Some tracks might not seem as strong as others to start with, but get into the album over time and you'll be impressed with the beauty of Enya's music in all of the songs. Very few musicians have made popular music sound anything like this, one obvious exception being Clannad.

To anyone looking for pure, chillout music to listen to, this is highly recommended. And for anyone under 25 reading this, don't worry about the fact that songs like 'Orinoco Flow' were recorded in the 80s - the music sounds as fresh and timeless today as it was back then.

Welcome to the sound of the Ocean.
on 28 December 2013
I love this CD. It is perfect to listen to when you want to relax - it's in my car at the moment! I love her voice and am thinking about getting the Clannad CD to see if it is similar or not. The sounds are relaxing and peaceful which is why I brought it. It has the more popular songs on there that we know (Sail Away etc) and ones I hadn't heard before but I find I can listen to it over and over again.
on 6 December 2009
I have always loved Enya and thought her music was out of this world. The unique melodies, lyrics and voice that Enya and the Ryans produce are just breathtaking. I cannot imagine anyone who wouldn't enjoy it.
This album really highlights Enya's most beautiful tracks. I definitely recommend it to anyone, especially if it's your first Enya album. Five stars.
on 6 June 2016
WOW...Bought this on a whim having just heard a few tracks on AMAZON and so happy that I did buy it
and having played it a few times Sunday night that I have ordered two more of her albums to start
a collection .
Such a sweet angelic voice of a angel you can't help.. but fall in love with her songs .
Every track on this album is an impressive masterpiece just so fantastic.. it's so harmoniously beautiful
that words can't explain

Track 15 WATERMARK makes you dream chills you out
Track 16 BOADICEA one to hum along to once you know it
Track 17 A DAY WITHOUT RAIN sounds sad but a lovely tune
Track 18 MAY IT BE such a sweet ending to a fantastic album

Five Gold Stars for such a lovely album sung by ENYA, Bravo... More... Just Awesome
well here's hoping you get the chance to buy this lovely album an enjoy it as much as me
At first glance, this latest 'Greatest Hits' release from Enya might just seem to be a waste of time given the fact that 'Paint the Sky With Stars: The Best of Enya' was released a few years ago. There are some different tracks this time though but the real selling point of this package is that it also contains a DVD of most of Enya's finest work.

I am lucky enough to have a copy of 'Enya - The Enya Collection [DVD]' but that costs a small fortune now and is very hard to get hold of. As with that DVD, this latest collection contains thirteen DVDs and is exactly the same apart from two tracks being swapped. The older release has 'Exile' which is basically just extracts from the movie 'LA Story' and 'How Can I Keep From Singing?' but these are now missing and in their place we have 'Trains And Winter Rains' and 'It's In The Rain'. In my opinion these are better videos anyway so this makes it a worthwhile package.

Most Enya fans will have most of the tracks featured on the CD but it is the bonus of the DVD that will entice us to buy this and it really is worth shelling out the extra cash
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 December 2011
If you plan to listen to this CD on the bus or any noisy environment then this is a 5 star CD. The re-mix of the tracks is very highly compressed ( i.e. very little difference between loud sounds and quiet sounds ).

Playing in the car this is exactly what you need to overcome back ground noise.

However for me playing this at home in a quiet environment then the loudness and compression really grates. The original CDs sound way better at home but probably not great in the car.
on 29 October 2012
Very latest (Very) Best-of compilation by Enya which features nearly all her hit singles (7"+CDs) from UK charts from Orinoco flow onwards and then bang up-to-date with Amarantine with consistently (faultless) ultra high quality Irish-synth pop music (18 tracks in toto) taken from all her previous original studio albums.

NB: does not include two previous singles collaborations with P.Diddy/others.

An immediate and compulsory replacement for her previous Best of CD album.

Sound quality is first-rate.
on 16 June 2011
The Very Best of Enya is a very strong compilation of musical melodies by Enya that showcase her unique blend of singing and harmonious musical melodies. I first heard of Enya back in 2001 when I heard the musical gem that is "Orinoco Flow" on one of the "Pure Moods" collections ("Orinoco Flow" is also available on the first "Pure Moods" collection). In addition, one of my friends from high school (who I miss and was one of my "spiritual sisters") listened to Enya and allowed me to hear what I think was Enya's Watermark cd. My then fiancee that I met in Japan (who luckily is now my husband) also introduced me to her (he also had the "Watermark" cd). I decided to purchase this cd when I found out online that Enya was releasing this greatest hits collection, and I am very happy that I did. In my humble opinion, all of these songs on this cd are great to listen to and relax to. My top two favorites are "Only If" and "Only Time". "Only If" is an upbeat musical track that appears to be about making the best of your life, and taking decisive action towards your dreams. "Only Time" is a great song about how only the concept of time is going to truly tell the way certain events in life are played out (metaphorical references are made towards the relationships and emotions arena). One of the most joyful ways to determine if you are going to enjoy this cd is if you like music of the following genres and artists: Enigma, Celtic music, and/or New Age music.