Customer reviews

Sonic Boom
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 October 2009
I was sceptical about this album because prior to all new releases Gene and Paul would always say this is the best thing they have done since Destroyer. Well it was no surprise when they saying the same thing again. However, this time it is different. The reviews have been consistently strong and based on several listens I am wholeheartedly in agreement. It is absolutely fantastic.
I do not think that Modern day Delilah should have been the first single - single as such - as it is, in my opinion, not the strongest on the album. For once, I am more of a fan of Gene's songs ont he album - true many of the songs were co-written with Paul and this could be the reason why there are so many good songs. There's not been many collaborations (Gene and Paul) since the 70s and for this album they have got together and this is reflected in the songwriting. Granted it will not set the world on fire in terms of songwriting but for a KISS album and a good classic rock album this is right up there.
"Hot and Cold" is one of my favourites and I also like "All for the Glory", "I'm and Animal" and "When Lightning Strikes".
Paul's songs are strong as well but with Gene's he has raised the bar and I think that the Gene-sung songs are on the whole better than Paul's.
There is some cheese on this album but it's good cheese - "Stand" and "Say Yeah" are two such examples.
Buy it if you have ever liked KISS, try it if you like classic rock. This is not all-70s, if anything it has more 80s sound to it. Not late 80s but Creatures/ Killers era sound, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.
on 10 July 2011
`Sonic Boom' is Paul Stanley's pet project - his attempt to give the band new material to play live, to keep them relevant, but most of all to produce something that really does hark back to their trademark superstar world-conquering heyday in the 70s. His fingerprints are all over it, both as producer and writer or co-writer of nine out of the 11 songs. And he mostly succeeds.

Many of the songs do in fact sound like they could have come out around the era of 1976 and 77's `Rock and & Roll Over' and `Love Gun' and all the songwriting comes from within the band. It has a big fat heavy sound, lots of stomping power chords that sound like they would be emphasized by fire bombs going off, lots of cow bells, dissolves into finger-picking guitar interludes, lots of fun, drive and energy. Stanley and Gene Simmons drop their singing register from 80s screeching back to their tenors of the 70s. All band members contribute on both lead and backing vocals, and there are a few songs where Stanley and Simmons duet on rock vocals a la `Rock and Roll All Nite' and `Shout It Out Loud'. Yet, it never sounds contrived in the way that their attempts at imitating those anthems in the 80s, 90s and on the first new make-up album, `Psycho Circus' did. `Sonic Boom' has an honesty and a commitment and the band sounds like they are having fun the way they used to.

There is a whiff of their 80s style, mostly in the tracks Simmons pens and sings, but they are nevertheless reasonable songs in the vein of his renewed late career song-writing ability on `Revenge', `Carnival of Souls' and `Psycho Circus'. But it is (expectedly) Stanley that truly shines. He even manages to pen a reasonable imitation of an Ace Frehley song with lead guitarist Tommy Thayer, which Thayer sings in the Frehley style -sounds corny, but it works. By now long-time drummer, Eric Singer, also does another fine Peter Criss imitation singing `All for the Flory'.

Some of the tracks are absolute killers - `Say Yeah', `All for the Glory', `Danger Us', `Stand' and `Modern Day Delilah'. And unlike a great many Kiss albums, nothing is dreadful. There is a sense of "what was the point", but for Kiss fans it is a great reassurance that the band is not dead. It may not be the sort of thing that will attract new audiences, but it is a late career resuscitation of the essence of Kiss - that is simply ... big, fun rock and roll.
on 23 October 2009
I am a Kiss fan from the days of Dressed to Kill, Destroyer etc and after The Elder, decided Kiss had parted company with my Kiss values. After watching them live many times over the last 30 years, I couldn't bring myself to buying another Kiss CD. I was told by a good friend that this album was worth listening to. I hesitated and took the plunge... By the time I'd finished my first listen of every track I thought I'd been transported back to 1977.

This CD is without doubt an incredible return to form of old. Crisp, sweet, classic Kiss and what a difference Gene and Paul have made. Whatever they're on, I want more. This CD is now embedded in my player and it will take a very good CD from any of my fav bands to get it off.

In short, CLASSIC KISS. Well done lads, worth every penny!
on 28 October 2009
I was initially a bit sceptical about the album because I didn't know how it would work out with Tommy and Eric stepping in. In all honesty it wouldn't have mattered because I would have bought the album anyway.

It is a fantastic album with a modern yet traditional sound and I can't say enough good things about it - it just keeps getting better and better the more I listen. Eric has great vocals and the quality is just obvious on all tracks from all members.

Number 1 album in the US and the same in Europe, it says it all. There is no one to top this band.......
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2009
Well here it is--Sonic Boom--and it looks fantastic. Especially if you've got the special edition doohickey with the KISS Klassics CD and Live In Buenos Aires DVD. But it's the new music we're really interested in. And, so it seems--for the first time in a long time--is the band.

After all, I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted their final album to be the piss-poor Psycho Circus.

Now, Paul Stanley's CD of a couple of years back, Live To Win, was a bit of a treat, so I'm glad to say that he has a hand in nine of the eleven tracks on offer here, as well as being the album's producer. You see, no matter that their greatest success was in the make-up-wearing seventies, their best songs were in the eighties when Stanley was running the show. And it's when he steps up and takes total control that this latest album really hits home.

The single "Modern Day Delilah" is a hard-driving treat, as is the Poison-like (yes, really!) "Never Enough." Gene Simmons' solo contributions, however, are by far the weakest on the album. This is something that should come as no surprise to anyone who has had the misfortune to hear his solo endeavors but, thankfully, he's restricted to just two songs. There are a couple of pedestrian tracks from Stanley as well, and I don't think anyone will be putting "Stand" on replay either. We probably didn't need vocal contributions from Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, but at least KISS are pretending to be a real band again.

Other highlights include the insanely catchy "Danger Us," the metalized "I'm An Animal" (which would have sat snugly on Creatures Of The Night) and the melodic rock treat "When Lightning Strikes."Visually it may seem like 1977 but musically this is KISS in their eighties prime, and much, much better than I ever could have hoped for.

The KISS Klassics CD is the greatest hits re-recordings they did for the Japanese market a couple of years ago as KISSology. Fourteen stone-cold rock classics (and "I Was Made For Lovin' You"). If it doesn't have the energy of the originals, it bumps up the production values and even strays into their make-up free years for the likes of "Heaven's On Fire" and "Forever." It may be heresy to some, but some of these, such as "Hotter Than Hell," actually sound better than the originals.

Also included is a mini concert DVD recorded at the tail end of the KISS 35th Anniversary tour in Buenos Aires, in April 2009. Now, I made a 1000-mile round trip to see their sole UK show on that tour, so I may be a bit biased, as the memories came flooding back. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but from the thunderous opening of "Deuce" onwards, the Argentinian crowd lick up the splendour of Kiss in full flight. Shame there's only six tracks, but KISS being KISS, I'm sure there's an enhanced, super-duper edition just around the corner.

Minor quibbles aside, Sonic Boom is an excellent albeit unexpected addition to the band's Kisstory.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 July 2011
I was a little bit skeptical going into this album, the band had talked about going back to their 1970s style, they had talked about producing it to sound like a classic record, they had talked about using old guitars and amps. Still, in all honesty, I didn't think they'd be able to recapture the feel of their 70s output, or if they did, it would be a sad nostalgia fest that wouldn't be good, despite being the style that I wanted.

Luckily, Sonic Boom is a great album. The band have managed to do the impossible and create an album in 2009 that is both fresh, relevant and also containing a classic 70s feel. The thing is, despite the style and the production, the songs are just plain good again, and that is what makes the difference. It could've sounded like the glory days and still been a collection of poor songs, but it good in and of itself.

Its been two years that I've lived with this, and still I keep coming back so this isn't hype, not release day excitement. Sonic Boom is just a great album, with enduring quality. Full of good songs like the explosive single 'Modern Day Delilah,' the Thayer featuring 'When Lightning Strikes,' and the furiously catchy 'All For The Glory.'

Like all the best Kiss albums, the album mixes a good ratio of Stanely to Simmons vocals, and Thayer even gets about as much of a slot as Ace would've back in the day. This, mixed with the fact that there are no guest writers, no over-sweet ballads and just a solid collection of vital, enjoyable rock music help Sonic Boom honestly be one of the best Kiss albums. How many bands from the 70s, in all honesty, can actually say that an album they made these days is as good as something from their hey day ? Not many.

Sonic Boom is a seriously good album and you should definitely overcome your cynicism and give it a try, you won't forget it.
on 4 April 2010
This is a real return to the glory days for Kiss. As the cover illustrates very rock n roll over LP style, the music is a return to the basic rock n roll sound, and they do this very well.

There are many stand out tracks on this CD, but mention MUST be made of Tommy Thayer, his guitar sound and style is very remeniscant of Ace Frehley's style.

All in all a superb CD. On first hearing i had the Creatues of the Night feeling in my gut, a classic CD that will stand the test of time.

Just buy it, you will love it...
on 7 October 2009
When I heard of another KISS album, I was wary to say the least. Psycho Circus was decent, and given the gap since 1998 I thought that would be it. This album is a real treat and echoes KISS at their 70s best, but with the benefit of 35 years in the business, it is strangely retro but refined to perfection. The songs are really strong, not like most of the latter Kiss albums which were esentially vehicules for brilliant singles. Simmons is great on 'Too Hot, Too Cold', Singer really impresses with the vocals on 'All For The Glory', Thayer is amazing in 'When Lightening Strikes' and is obviously a massive Ace Frehley fan with the homage-like sounds he lends to the solos, and Stanley is just amazing on the end track 'Oh Yeah'. Give this album a couple of listens and it'll make everything from Music from the Elder onwards seem like a bad dream and you've awoken to find that KISS are just as brilliant as you always thought they were.
on 11 October 2009
Absolutely lovin this! YEAH! You're in the palm of their hands after just the first listen. Great hooks, great lyrics. What more can I say?! BUY IT!
on 30 December 2009
I've never been much of a KISS fan and never thought I'd buy an album by them although I've liked a few of their songs in the past. I heard a few new songs from this album on the radio without really knowing who it was, but the songs were good enough to make me sit up and listen. I can't remember the last time I heard so many songs from one current album on the radio that I really liked. SOLD!

This album sounds good - better production in my opinion than some of their classics, but what really sold it to me was the quality of the songs. OK, it's a bit cliched and corny in places - but it's KISS so what do you expect? I expect that's part of their charm to many of their fans. The thing is, these are just good catchy songs that get stuck in your head. OK, there is a still a little cheese like 'Stand' but I reckon there are five songs on 'Sonic Boom' which are good enough to be singles - and I don't think many bands can do that these days. It's also one of the CDs which works really well in the car - hey, these guys know what they are doing!