TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 October 2010
This is not normally the kind of book I would buy, but as it was recommended to me by the daughter of an economics professor I thought I'd give it a try! I really enjoyed it. The combination of a professional economist, with an obviously divergent mind, aided by a journalist has created a thoroughly readable book that uses the tools of economics to tease apart the factors influencing human actions and behavior. Some of the topics concern things that one wouldn't expect economists to be interested in, such as, does the name you're given at birth affect your likely success in life; are sumo wrestlers fixing their matches; or, more controversially, did the easing of abortion laws in the USA lead to a reduction in the crime-rate nearly 20 years later? As you can see the authors broached a wide range of subjects and weren't afraid to deal with highly contentious issues.
I've got the feeling that there's been a recent trend in the field of economics to try and put values on things like human happiness rather than deal exclusively with hard-nosed business and markets: a change of tack that broadens the appeal of their work to the general public. This book epitomizes this change and certainly had me thinking about a range of issues in a different way.
on 15 July 2017
I liked it and found it interesting, useful for my job as an journalist for an economist magazine, especially in looking at unique way to view stats.

It does go on a bit. I recommend it though.
on 10 August 2016
Very interesting book - definitely not your average economics books - makes you realise how much we are manipulated....
on 12 September 2017
This is actually the second economics book I have read of late, despite having no interest in economics whatsoever. I think I was a bit late to the party as a lot of these statistical anomolies I actually heard before in the other book. Still a good read though.
on 3 June 2017
Swift delivery. Item as described. A brilliant read.
on 17 May 2017
My partner loves this books and has started to implement some of the ideas in his work
on 8 September 2017
The bottomline of this book seems to be the ever present theorem of neo-liberalism or late-capitalism, which is "everything is economy". However, they use solely sociological anecdotical arguments that for the most of them haven't got anything to do with the economy as such.
on 18 June 2017
Funny, thought provoking, honest and incredibly well written. Even if you don't usually read non-fiction often this is an easy and very entertaining read.
on 13 September 2017
This book was one of the best books I've ever read. The unique layout of facts surrounded by humour and abstract thinking makes it a perfect read!
on 11 May 2017