Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.03

on 17 November 2002
I began this book with great interest. With his excellent anecdotes, I quickly became fully convinced of the value of working with emotional intelligence. But instead of going on to make suggestions as to how a person could improve their own emotional inteligence, or how to help employees/managers in this area, he continued on and on with more anecdotes, clear until the end of the book. I didn't need any more convincing--I was already convinced by the first third of his book--I wanted him to give some advice about implementation, which he didn't give.
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2000
This book covers Emotional Intelligence in a business context. It's similar in format to the first book, with lots of anecdotes. But again, contains no 'how to' techniques (some customer reviewers think it did - maybe they were reading between the lines or something). As a trainer of EQ development techniques, imagine my disappointment! This book will be most useful to managers commisioning or assessing EQ training.
on 16 June 2004
Daniel Goleman followed up his bestselling classic Emotional Intelligence with this equally classic sequel that focuses on how emotional intelligence is applied in the workplace. Insightful and richly detailed, Goleman's work educates and inspires without ever sounding trite or sappy, like some annoying quick-fix scheme. If you are leadership bound and think success is all about strategy and technique, this will provide some very useful insights into what people really think about managing and being managed. The most intriguing sections focus on the application of emotional intelligence at work, but it would be pretty useful at home, too (if we could just get out of the office). If you think that you don't need to be more aware of the emotional undercurrents all around you, we warn that you need to read this most of all.
on 20 September 2001
Are you one of those people who feels there is something not quite "clicking together" both professionally and personally? Do people say you are "clever, knowledageable and confident" but you can't seem to gain a promotion?
This book will help you understand what makes the the differance... it is not a book full of breakthrough messages but a book of that demonstrates the importance of how our behaviour can act as an enabler for our own prosperity and even more rewarding, how our behaviour can make a positive differance in the lives of people around us, our work colleagues, our partners, our friends and our children.
on 9 August 2014
I did expect to be given advice with examples of how to approach a specific incident...eg...how would you manage someone who you knew needed to have a specific experience linked to their health undertaken......and then guidelines.......the content of this book was, in my view, anecdotal and always linked to big business, rather than individuals per se. Some good points however.
on 8 December 1999
I couldn't help thinking as I read this book that this is a guide for what parents should teach their chiildren and how parents should act to be good role models for their children. I agree that emotional intelligence can be learned and that the most successful leaders "have it". In fact, perhaps the high turnover that we see in senior executives today is that we are no longer willing to tolerate those without emotional intelligence. Many of the 25 emotional competencies are values that we see during interviews where we match the candidate' value to those of the company's. In effect, we are valuing their ability to work together at an emotional level. The good news is that based on this book and the many case studies, you do not have to be strong in all of the areas. WORKING WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE also stresses the success of the optimistic, and goes beyond other books in explaining why this occurs. Finally, one critical strength of the emotionally intelligent is the ability to communicate with many people in many ways. I have just read THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION which has a chapter on the inability to make progress without good communications and what good communications requires. Their other stalls also complement WORKING WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE by describing the problems of not being able to accept new ideas or adapt to change or do what must be done. Combine learning how to increase your emotional intelligence with THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION'S identification of where you are "Stalled" and how to make rapid progress and you are well on the path to being a successful leader in family and business.
on 20 November 2013
The general idea of the book makes sense, and it is a good introduction to considering emotional intelligence and the role it plays; however, the authors structure isn't particularly logical and there is an awful lot of rambling. Reads a bit like 'this one time, at band camp....'. There is an awful lot of repetition and it really turns in to a chore to read.
on 11 November 1999
This book is extremely enlightening and well-written. If you have ever wondered how to become senior in your workplace, this book is for you.
During my education, I was convinced that success was proportional to intellect alone. This is not the case in 'the real world' however. In every company I've worked at the people at the top are not the brightest.
This book not only explains why this is often the case, but also teaches you how to boost your own EQ.
on 7 February 2014
If you are not very emotionally aware this book is an eye opener, If your good with emotion this book is affirming in your beliefs and has interesting studies and incites for you.

Daniel Goldman is able to analyse modern trends in science and condense a vast amount of proof for his theories across scientific disciplines.
on 10 April 2015
Excellent book. Good secondhand copy. I already had a copy and ordered this secondhand copy for my daughter. Gives a great insight into why people behave the way they do. Especially useful as a follow up to The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters.