Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Ed Sheeran on Amazon Music Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 March 2010
I like the show, I like the cast, and I like most of their song choices. I just feel like Volume 1 was a much stronger album overall, and although there are a few stand-out moments on this one, it just wasn't as good.
The standout songs for me on this were:
Don't stand so close to me/Young Girl
Jump
And I'm telling you I'm not going
Proud Mary.

Amber Riley's version of "And I'm telling you..." is probably one of the best you're likely to hear, her voice sounds fantastic. The cast version of Van Halen's classic "Jump" really works well, although it's no "Dont' Stop Believin'".
The problem I have with volume 2 is that although I think Lea Michele is a seriously talented singer, as are the rest of the cast,their versions of some of the songs are almost copycat - notably "My Life Would Suck Without You" and "Crush". The faux-English accent on Lily Allen's "Smile" is almost cringeworthy.
All in all, a good accompaniment to volume 1, but not strong enough on its own.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2010
I explained why in my review of Glee: The Music, Volume 1 If you haven't read it, please do before continuing. It could save your life.

Okay, I think we're alone now. There just us no-hopers left who have fallen victim to Glee's insidious spell. We're already ruined so I may as well get on with the review.

It occurred to me that it reminds me of a BBC1 Saturday evening show about three years ago in which amateur choirs competed against each other. The songs were, like Glee, very varied but more so. While there were solo vocals, the strength came from the harmonies. To my surprise I really enjoyed the show which, with hindsight, explains why I fell in love with Glee despite my normal predilection for edgier music.

As for this CD, if anything, I think it's slightly better than vol.1, only slightly though. It opens with a terrific version of Proud Mary. Other standouts include I'll Stand By You, Imagine, and True Colours which is just great; the rest of the songs are all fine too. As I said, the harmonies really make the CD, but Lea Michele and Cory Monteith are terrific singers whose playing off each other is particularly striking. This is simply lovely enjoyable stuff and if you liked the first CD then you'll like this just as much as it's more of the same.

My previous review was tongue in cheek but I'm being serious when I say that this isn't deep or profound music and is all the better for it. Sometimes we just need a little light among the shade. You may not always get what you want but sometime you get just what you need and Glee is it.
on 11 December 2009
Glee is one of the best shows to happen to TV in recent years, the writing is flawless, the performances impeccable and the soundtrack is incredible.

This volume takes you up to the episode titled "Sectionals", the fall finale for the show before it breaks for hiatus in the States.... until April. "Sectionals" was, simply put, an amazing episode.

Stand out tracks:
Lea Michele's "Don't Rain On My Parade" was truly fantastic
"Proud Mary" was a great energetic track
Amber Riley's vocals on "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" are sensational
The cover of Van Halen's "Jump" is also a really fun track.

It's really difficult to narrow down which tracks are the best because that's how good this show is.

Enjoy!
on 21 March 2010
Fan of the show, love the music, but why oh why didn't they include the version of imagine shown in the show? It was one of the most moving scenes in the whole show and they've cut it out to include this standard version, not cool!
on 3 January 2010
Quite simply - I love Glee and the music. Every song (nearly) never fails to put a smile on my face. Second volume just adds that much more to the first.
on 12 March 2010
Altough I consider that this is not exactly to the level of the first volume, it's still a great drive-to CD that always gets me smiling.

Most of the tracks are good enough to stand on their own, but the fact is that what I also enjoy is that the songs bring me back to those moments of the show, giving me my dose of Glee until they come back in April... That's why I always smile at "Jump" "Don't stand so close to me/Young girl" which were hilarious moments on screen (I won't spoil it for the UK viewers saying anything else).

My picks for the best tracks, based on music alone, are "You can't always get what you want" and "Proud Mary".

May Glee have a long successful life! I for one will be along for the ride.
on 16 March 2010
I love this album! it is hugely uplifting and covers such a wide spectrum of songs that no genre is left out.
Brilliant performances and amazing originality to all the arrangements.
A must buy for all music fans.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2012
There are still some standout songs for me on this album, although not as many as there were on Volume 1. I still think it's worth buying though if you like Glee and can pick a few tracks you like from it.

I would have purchased it alone for I'll Stand By You, Don't Stand So Close To Me / Young Girl, True Colors, and My Life Would Suck Without You which I thought were all brilliant.
on 15 May 2010
i'm a bit of a gleek so i loved this CD just as good as the first one.
on 30 May 2010
Unless you've lived in a cave for the last year I am sure you know what "Glee" is all about; lightweight, throw-away, feel good pop songs. This second album whilst good, is not quite as strong as the first one I feel, namely because there are too many slow numbers & ballards and are fewer up-tempo ones. (Proud Mary & Jump are good ones, and a stand out song is the brilliant mash-up of Don't stand so close/Young girl) but there too many slow songs; Endless Love, I'll Stand by You, (You're) Having My Baby, Lean on Me, Imagine, Smile (Cover of Charlie Chaplin Song) etc etc)
There are also some glaring omissions: where is the BRILLIANT "It's my Life/Confessions" and "Halo/Walking on sunshine" mash-ups?? and "Crush" had about 2 lines in the show before Mr Shuester switched off the CD!
Minor gripes aside, this is a great little album, easy listening and popular for all!