on 25 October 2001
The best book I'v read in my whole life.A perfect balance of suspense and exitement what with the fierce Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the heroic deeds of Sam at the tower of Cirith Ungol.The first part tells how the Riders of Rohan come to the aid of Gondor in the defence against the ever growing Shadow of Mordor.It tells of a great battle between Good and Evil,Life and Death,Light and Dark.The second part tells the tale of Frodo and Sam and how they enter the Black Land and come face to face with the deadliest of enemies in their heroic attempt to destroy the Ruling Ring.It is my favourite book by my favourite author and I think it is well worth buying.It is the last part of The Lord Of The Rings where it reaches its awesome climax.It is well written and one of the best books you will ever read.
on 31 March 2000
This box set, released and distributed as Tolkien intended for the first time, is the best I have seen and owned. This TLOTR Milliennium Edition and the CD of JRR reciting his own writings is a real bonus for any collection. When I first read the advertisement on the Amazon Web Site, I thought the price would be astronomoical, but it is so cheap, every TLOTR fan should own this.
Rating (Out of 5 Stars): 7 at least !
on 23 March 2014
At the age of 58 and a dyslexic I have completed my first set of proper books. Why did I not force myself to overcome my reading horrors years ago, only a dyslexic will understand this statement. I could not believe the places that I visited in my mind, Mr Tolkien thank you for helping me to overcome and carry on, what will be the next book, a new world to visit. These books were fantastic, I never got bored, or skipped pages, I loved these book's, if you want to lose yourselves in a different worlds this is the read for you.
on 27 March 2016
7 volume set of Lord of the Rings, divided the way Tolkien intended. I already have the 3 volume sets and the single large volume but this is the best set to have. Easy to hold and read and they come in a nice slipcase, looks attractive on my book shelf.
on 23 September 2003
After seeing my girlfriend struggle (as she is dyslexic) through the first two books of the trilogy i thought i would give her a break and buy this for her so she could enjoy the final part of this classic fantasy book. It was great, she was able to get through the book and enjoy it at the same time especially as it kept to the book and was not a dramatization like other copies, meaning she felt as though she had the same experience as the rest of us. Rob Inglis narrates clearly and at a good speed. also suitable for younger readers.
on 6 January 2001
Continuing on from the superb cliff-hanger ending to the previous book "The Two Towers", this the third and final part of The Lord of The Rings is probably the greatest of all. The first half of "The Return of The King" is incredibly exciting as the members of the Fellowship of the Ring who were separated from Frodo and Sam prepare for a great war against Sauron, who finally sends his forces out from Mordor to try and conquer the city of Minas Tirith and the land of Gondor. A highlight of the the first half of the book is very action-packed chapter "The Battle of The Pelennor Fields". In the second half of the book, we return to the land of Mordor where Sam is faced with the task of rescuing his master Frodo, so they can continue on their terrifying journey to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring. With a number of fantastic and often ironic twists along the way, "The Return of The King" is a brilliantly written and perfectly structured masterpiece which confirms that The Lord of The Rings is indeed one of the greatest books of the 20th century.
on 24 November 2001
There are surely few people in this world who have never heard of Tolkein's Lord Of The Rings. Originally meant to be published as 8 separate books, they were eventually amalgamated into three of which this is the third. Hence, you would be more than a little well advised to begin reading the other two first because unlike some serials, they are ESSENTIAL to your understanding of this one. It is not a second sequel to the original, but instead a direct continuation of a story.
So it is better to talk of the story as a whole...and a thousand words would never be enough. This third novel then continues an truly epic work which tells the story of a battle of good against evil set in a fantasy world. Your basic premise puts a band of hobbits(small hairy humanoid characters) on a quest to destroy a magical ring which would give the evil lord the power he needs to crush the forces of good. The only way they can do this is to cast the ring itself into the cracks of doom - lava filled chasms deep in the heart of Mordor...the enemy lands.
The Lord of The Rings series may be fantasy novels, but they have a universal appeal. i have never come across anyone who would argue that they didn't enjoy reading them. Tolkein has a way with words which can draw the reader deep into his work, so much so that time will fly past and you'll find yourself reaching the end of the story far too soon and be left gagging for more. You can't ask for more than this offers, and thats the bottom line - five stars isn't enough.
on 4 January 2012
The conclusion to an awe inspiring trilogy written by a master of literature, "The Return Of The King": Volume 3 is a true jewel of a book. Still full of thrills, it never fails to transport me back into Middle Earth. The adventure continues for Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. There are many moments in the story that make me angry or sad or incredibly moved (nearly to tears), just as there are the occasional light hearted, happy times, particularly at the very end when all is said and done, such as the one chapter concerning Eowyn and Faramir, as they are my two favourite characters among the race of Men, and I see them as the ideal couple. Sam, my favourite character out of the Hobbits as he evokes such care, compassion and determination to do what is right comes out as a true hero, which gains him a good deal of praise and good fortune. Pippin, my second favourite of the Hobbits is as troublesome as ever, earning him a trip to Minas Tirith where he is far more concerned about what is the best place for a pint of ale and a bite to eat, until he finds that bravery outstrips the need for food for thought. The songs and poems are just as lovely as ever, the Elvish language is positively enchanting and Tolkien's use of the English language is epic and masterful; he was a true genius, and his spirit lives on in this classic tale of adventure, good versus evil, love and self discovery.
on 19 July 2014
The Return of the King is the conclusion to Tolkiens epic saga, The Lord of the Rings. Widely considered as a classic, this trilogy begins in the rolling fields of the shire and takes us through a journey of enormous proportions till at last we reach our destination in Mordor. The character development as we go through this saga is second to none as we watch our heroes Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir all do great deeds,to enable the fellowship to complete it's quest.

In this version of the book, it has a wonderful cover design which draws on the story itself and beautifully depicts the white tree of Gondor. As this is part of a set, it also has a sleeve design which when placed together with the other books in this set forms one of the most prominent images from the three books, the white tree of Gondor. A well crafted cover, with maps featuring inside the sleeves, I would recommend this version of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King to any one who wishes to own their own version of this masterpiece.
on 25 February 1999
Tolkien's descriptive writing is 100% if not more as it outlines the true emotional terror of evil in realistic and gripping epic fashion. it certainly left me out of breath by the last page. Frodo's situation sits as a double edged sword as the fight between the ring and his conscience, and his mission proves whether he succedes or fails. Interesting twist at the end makes this the most popular book this century. A must. The appendix is worth reading as well as it outlines the history before and after this series and completes the story in true epic style.