Customer reviews

The Bell Jar (FF Classics)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 5 September 2017
Buying this book several years ago second hand, a withdrawn library copy - which now almost falls apart, because it has been read a lot in the library and I have been re - reading it two times too. It is one of the best books I have ever read, and I am not able to specify exactly, why this is the case. It is autobiographical on the one side, yet on the other side, it reads like a novel. It is perfectly honest and written very straight without trying to change some accents. It is written by a person, who could see the world very clear, which absolutely convinces by what she is writing. She has a point and she makes it.
When it is talked about her, often depression is named, yet for me it would sound more than some bouts of a psychosis. She was a very bright person, her father dying, when she was very young, was surely very difficult for her, she had a extreme good self reflection and awareness and was a very realistic observer. Normally a psychosis is the breakdown of the ability of the processing system of the brain - it is often stigmatised, yet it quite fairly simple as this.
She writes: "There ought, I thought, to be a ritual for being born twice - patched, retreated and approved for the road." Yet, I am not so sure about this. I mean, yes nobody can tell, how another person feels, but every person is unique and beautiful in his or her own way. What would patched and retreated mean? What should be changed, when maybe the one thing such a person needs is maybe more quietness and more stability than an average person would need. Her brain was very creative, so on the other side, for the balance, it probably would have needed more rest. Changes in body- linked differences are often treated more accurately, than those of the soul. If a person is sitting in a wheel chair, nobody would ask this person to run one hundred meters in a record time, why then are in terms of the mind exactly the same performances are awaited from everybody?
The answer is laying on hand - physical differences are easily to be seen, the ones of the mind stay often somehow invisible. People often seem to be able to believe faster, what they can see with there own eyes, and then maybe act adequately on it, whereas what is not to be seen easily often and fast gets dismissed or approached maybe not in the way needed. This book is a deep account of her own beautiful personality and her honesty evokes deep empathy and the fact that her book is read this often, gives her life a deep meaning of what it means to be an individual with all different sides and aspects of it.
on 13 October 2017
I hated this book until I think half way through...
Before then she was horrible. Nasty to everyone and judgemental. After a horrible event, the nasty judgemental comments calmed down and the focus went to her sanity. It went dark but I loved it. It was fascinating and I was hooked. I have depression myself so I could relate to the pain which I think helped me empathise with her more. I just wish the first half had been shorter.
on 19 September 2017
Anatomy of depression. Smart, wry, sad. Some startling imagery which makes you wonder what might have come later, except it stems from her illness and maybe they were inseparable.
on 14 June 2017
This book was on a list of books that you should read before you die so I thought I would give it a go! It was hard work to begin with and seemed to jump around a bit but I stuck with it! I'm now sorry that it has come to an end because I was just starting to get to know Esther and I want to know where she ended up!
on 12 March 2013
It seems a thinly disguised auto biography; but is it a novel? It was beautifully written, well paced and gave the reader plenty of work to do. I detected in the first half an Adrian Mole tone. But before Plath fans jump on me, don't forget Adrian Mole too was an intellectual. Nevertheless, a wonderful read.
on 30 July 2017
Absolutely outstanding novel. I really wish I'd read it years ago
on 20 July 2017
Better condition than described so delighted
on 19 October 2017
Bought for A level English course, good buy.
on 2 November 2017
Had been curious about this book for a long time. I found it to be deeply poetic, lead by a strong female voice that I felt immensely empathetic for. Startlingly honest and often brutally funny. I highly recommend for anyone who has struggled with depression in particular.
on 18 November 2017