on 11 April 2016
Sweden is indeed enigmatic; perhaps all countries are? This is a novel which becomes addictive even with its darkness and violence. Larsson crusaded against the mistreatment of women and corruption in business. These are the themes of the book, which unravel in a complex plot. As the plot progresses we learn something of Swedishness, and the Swedish landscape is more than a background. The book has a reincarnation of Pippi Longstocking, and the hero is nicknamed Kalle, Astrid Lindgren's boy detective. Nordic Noir is a complex genre, or does it merely depict the complexity of the Swedish psyche?
on 28 April 2017
Terrific read. Has to be read before embarking upon the 2 books which follow this. Watched the film first which was a great help. Such intelligence within this story: a tragedy that the author never lived to see his extraordinary success with this trilogy.
on 27 June 2017
The main story is excellent - an investigation into the disappearance of a teenage girl in the sixties. The back story, of the principle character's issues with a dodgy financier, works well... as a back story. However after the main story comes to an excellent climax the book drifts on for another 100 pages with the back story taking centre stage. That doesn't work. It is weak and unconvincing compared to what came before.
on 3 June 2017
A real page turner, it is very difficult to put it down. The plot rattles along and the characters are well written. It bears comparison to the Reacher books. It is such a shame that the author has died.
on 22 June 2017
The girl with the Dragon tattoo was very slow to start with I could easily have put it down and read something else but I read on and was not disappointed the story got better and better
on 3 September 2013
I loved the film even though parts were horrific to watch but I then brought the trilogy because I thought reading would be easier than actually watching the films. The main characters were believable and excellent.

The books were very scary and still horrific but I was definitively happier reading these stories rather than watching. After all I knew what I was buying so I'm not moaning.

KARRIE
on 16 June 2017
read the book on kindle (thoroughly enjoyed it) but was it abridged - have been listening to it on audio book format and there defiant ely is many passage missed out in the book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 January 2017
A very interesting and enjoyable read. The beginning of the book is a bit slow, but once you're a few chapters in, the author manages to keep you engaged and you never want to put the book down!
on 15 November 2014
Recommended to me by a naked man at the Monte Marina Hotel in Fuerteventura. I decided to give it a try as a poolside book and was amazed by the strength of the story and the characters.

My first encounter with Scandinavian literature since Pippi Longstocking was a revelation, strange how Pippi gets a mention ..

Came home and bought book 2
on 9 June 2017
Just purchased e-book after reading it when it first came out in English - then written by a new author who I wish was still with us. Some books are timeless and this is one of them, I felt I must have it so I can re-read it again and again in the years ahead.