Customer reviews

The Siege
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 10 May 2017
Having been to St. Petersburg I have seen what a fantastic city it is. The siege must have been horrendous and its only when you walk in the parks you realise they chopped every tree down for fuel. How do we know this ? because they replanted after the war and all the trees are roughly the same height. How they survived is a miracle and just shows how if you have the will you can. A very interesting book.
on 2 January 2017
This is a well written description of what it may feel like to try to survive through a winter siege with little food and heating. To cling to life, to barely exist, to channel your initiative, your limited energy and compromised brain power to keeping you and your loved ones alive, whilst others in the city of Leningrad are doing the same.
on 21 April 2017
She has written this so well and has researched it brilliantly. Couldn't put it down and was thrilled to read the first chapter of her sequel, The Betrayal. We were in St Petersburg in July so I was able to visualise it too.
on 29 June 2017
The tragedy of Helen Dunmore's untimely death strikes harder with every book of hers I read and re-read. There is simply so much that I want her words to define; so many stories I want her to tell; so many subjects I want her skill to explain. I've come to her work late, discovering and devouring so Lyn of her novels in such a short time and relishing each of them in turn for their sharply perceptive and poetic observations. There are few books left unread, although I do have Dunmore's poetry to discover. If only there was more. If only...
on 21 March 2017
A simple, incredible, soul searching book. I was held in its grip and so pleased that the outcome brought some happiness. I want to learn more about Russian history and would love to visit St Petersburg.
on 3 September 2017
I am not one to read books with so much descriptive language - I tend to skip over those bits. But in this case they were so clearly expressed that you know that they are analogies to the human suffering.
I won't repeat what all the more articulate reviewers have said about how great the book is, but just finish with 'What they said'
on 18 July 2017
An amazing book,telling the story of one family during the great siege of St Petersburg.Horrendous hardships to endue.It was a fascinating story told almost as it happened.I go there in a couple of weeks and I am pleased I read the book.
on 22 July 2017
Loving this book. The context of the siege of Leningrad evokes clearly the horrific impact on ordinary people who were dying of hunger. Well written and compelling. Well crafted characters and exciting moments. Evoked many emotions. Will recommend this to friends and family.
on 2 February 2013
I agree with both 1star and 5star reviewers so have gone middle of the road. This is a really good and well written story, but as others have said it is hard to get any empathy with any of the characters so I found I didn't care enough even though they were living through such harrowing times. Good story but very dull writing.
on 4 July 2017
I enjoyed the book. You really feel that you are in Leningrad....cold and hungry. She creates a menacing atmosphere. The descriptions are interesting and clear