on 19 August 2015
Really only readable if you play a lot of Poker
on 4 January 2012
As a huge poker fan I enjoyed reading about the early days of poker before you could play online. Victoria Coren has interesting stories to tell about some of the well known poker characters and its interesting to get a female perspective in a male dominated game. I related to the feeling that the poker community is like your second family as well as the buzz around the golden years of poker when Moneymaker won the WSOP. Reading about the non poker related stories was somewhat bland and I found myself not caring for what happens next to Victoria or her friends and family.
on 15 August 2013
For all Victoria Coren's talents, I personally found this book very disappointing; as someone who has only ever played social poker I found the occasional advice on strategy and tactics fairly interesting, but that was all.

It started well, describing how the author became involved in poker and her early influences, but quickly goes downhill. Following this, as the title suggests, poker is discussed to the exclusion of all else which makes it very hard to care about any of the characters. If she had included more about her personal life (one anecdote about her father and her in the marketplace is actually very touching) I feel the book would be far more interesting. As it is we know nothing about her life outside the game; for all the reader knows she does nothing but play poker, a feeling reinforced by one particular paragraph. Referencing the day of the September 11th attacks, Coren briefly says how she was scared by thoughts we were all in danger, but later played poker, switching the TV off as it was nothing but a distraction. To me this is representative of her approach to the book, which is single-minded and reads more like a bank statement than anything else (made £x here with y hand, lost £a here with b hand)!

The writing is forced and the structure is poor, leaping from one poker event to the next and recycling the same bland clichés. Coren introduces Amarillo Slim and other characters more than once and after a hundred pages of déjà vu, the same old events, settings, characters and emotions, it becomes a chore to plough through the rest of this bland and repetitive book. At some points I found myself wishing the younger Coren and her "friends" would leave the poker table, go outside and stop wasting their lives with such fanatical devotion to a card game.

Despite my high hopes when buying it, I would not recommend this to read; for serious players it offers nothing, whilst for those with a casual interest in the game it strips away any glamour or fun. While the concept had potential, the execution is poor; read something else.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
I like Victoria Coren's sense of humour, but I confess I have no interest whatsoever in poker. Thankfully the book is more of an autobiography, amusingly told, but - and this probably deserves a "well obviously!" - there is a lot of content here about poker, strategies, and the outcomes of games. I admit I did skim some of these sections which by and large fall at the end of chapters where they describe the progress of a key game in Victoria's poker career. There is much talk of the "button", the "river", "flops" and so on, and these are explained in a brief appendix at the end of the book.

If you're a fan of poker and Victoria Coren you'll love it. If you're a fan of one but not the other you'll probably just like it more than anything.
on 29 December 2017
An absorbing, honest and heartfelt account of an unusual life - I know nothing about poker but I loved this book. Victoria Coren Is such an interesting, unique person and the story of how she found a ‘family’ in the poker scene of London and beyond is just fascinating. Despite not understanding what any of the poker terms meant, that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of this story, which is a history of the game at a point where it began to change from seedy underground to big business, but also an account of a woman looking for a place she belongs and feels happy. I love coren’s writing style and there’s plenty to ponder here on the themes of luck, faith, friendship, addiction and happiness
on 2 May 2015
Reading the reviews of this book by one of the funniest, brightest and most interesting people on television, I expected a clever, funny read.

And there are good moments.

Sadly they are sandwiched between layers of poker jargon. Worse still, the card games make up most of the book. It might as well be in code or a foreign language. If you don't play poker, you won't have the first clue what's going on.

Very disappointed as I bought this for my wife, who also gave up well before the half way point.

I fold!
on 5 December 2012
Have always been a fan of old VC - who plays with old men and basically gives anyone a shuffle, up the Old Vic, ever since Late Night Poker was broadcast for the first time on channel 4. Inspired me to start playing online when you could have dealers choice games and dealers made up games!!

A favourite of mine was Lamebrain Pete - with a hint of suicide guts thrown in - you had to be awake to spot that one and pi55ed off a lot of people of their virtual chips - LOL!

That was back when everyone was on dial up - so 30 seconds was enough to confuse everyone.

Just want to congratulate Victoria and "Mark" - must be the perfect marriage of geeky intelligence.

I expect a lot of these low reviews are by people who VC has taken money off or beaten at poker. God knows why anyone would complain or even read a book that contains references to poker - if you can read the blurb.

What was most poignant to me was a few sentences that she made in reference to one of her ex boyfriends. Think it was on page 200 and something. Really summed up my feelings to my ex girlfriend - of 5 years - 2 years after.

Stupidly I texted it to her - unsurprisingly I didn't get a response - lol!

Anyway - a great read and finished it in about 3 days on my holiday. Have had Devilfishes on loan for a while now but have been engrossed by Heist - possibly the best true crime book ever written.
on 28 January 2015
This book has enthralled me. I have a nasty habit of leaving books half-read by the side of the bed and then another half-read book gets on top of it and then another. This one grabbed me and would not let go.

She has interwoven her life as a poker player - obviously a much bigger part of her life than I had appreciated - with a hand-by-hand account of the biggest card game of her life. She talks about the big hands and the small hands; the bets and the folds, the successes and the 'bad beats', and weaves that together with the highs and lows of her own life; all in the present tense so you are with her step by step as she learns about poker and learns about life.

The two accounts suddenly come together as she reaches that point in 2006 when she was on the verge of winning a major tournament in London, in her home club amongst all the strange characters that have surrounded her through 23 chapters.
on 3 January 2012
I quite like Victoria Coren from what I have seen on TV, and have a passing interest in poker.
After hearing comedian Richard Herring praise this book I thought I'd give it a try and was glad I did.
If you don't like poker at all, you probably won't find it interesting.
However, I'm not a gambler, but found all the stories about casinos and wagers between players astonishing and eye-opening!
Towards the end I thought it got quite sad and poingant as it became apparent how desperate even the most successful players were, how much they needed to play and to gamble.
But overall, I really enjoyed this book, and completed it in just a few days of reading.
on 12 November 2010
This book is beautifully written by a fearless young woman who entered a mans' world and with her pluck and determination charmed them all. Her journey is AWESOME and she takes you with her all the way. The analogies with Alice in Wonderland are very clever, and the structure and pace well considered. It is a page turner. Even those who are unfamiliar with poker will enjoy the read. She writes about the rogues with whom she plays and with whom she has forged deep friendships with affection and compassion. The characterisations are terrific and very amusing. I laughed out loud many times. She's a winner!