Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.24

on 28 June 2017
Beautiful, simple, complicated and annoyingly honest. A must read for anyone wanting to explore Christianity.

I've been hearing recommendations of this book for a long time. And now that I have read it I understand why. Extremely intelligent, annoyingly honest and beautifully put together by an amazingly imaginative mind.
on 19 January 2017
Remarkably up to date yet also a product of its time period having been composed and written through the tragedies of WWII.

I don't fully agree with all of his theology but that is irrelevant. The thought sand passions expressed I. This book are a great starting point for any believer with questions about the subjects covered.
on 12 December 2015
I have frequently given this as a gift. It is simply the most accessible sensible introduction to traditional Christianity. Some of the social presumptions are a little dated now, and you may find Lewis's views on the role of women questionable, but skip those pages and teh rest is great.
on 30 November 2016
One of the greatest works of modern popular theology. As bright and as fresh as ever. I would argue it is one of THE great works of modern literature of any genre, for its overall style, impact and social/cultural importance.

An absolute benchmark. Often imitated, but rarely bettered.
on 14 February 2014
As a historical document I think it gives a very valuable insight into the way people thought during WWII and the immediate post-war period. As an apologetic I think it is far less effective today. I think that someone like G.B. Caird, an Oxford don, who was his contemporary, make a far more effective case for Christianity entitled The Truth of Christianity which was published in 1962. I think that Lewis' children's book are a far more effective apologetic today.
on 8 January 2013
Despite being over 60 years old, this book is still a highly relevant and useful book for Christians today. CS Lewis was a great writer and through the course of the book shares some very valuable insights. He first covers his reasons for his faith, which is a very interesting couple of chapters. Over the rest of the book, he discusses what Christianity is, and what it does (or should) mean, and the impact it has (or should have) on those who profess to believe it. Some challenging material, and some brilliant insights on a wide selection topics. Highly recommended for all Christians.
on 19 July 2014
I had tried to read this book previously but quickly gave up, but then took it with me when I travelled to Africa for 6 weeks. Having got past the initial arguments, I found that it was very valuable and read it through several times and expect to do so again. Lewis has the great ability of homing in on the heart of an issue.
on 9 September 2015
I'm not much of a reader, I've probably only read a handful of books all the way through. Absolutely loved this book though. The style of writing seemed to grasp me and I finished it within 3 weeks. That's epic for me lol. I personally think that every new christian should read this book as there is much to learn from this book. I loved it
on 17 September 2016
Despite a few dated references it is quite incisive. I was expecting it to be intellectually flabby but far from it. This is an illuminating book. Deceptively accessible, it challenges the reader with what could be called "No Nonsense Christianity".
on 27 December 2014
A stunning piece of writing. However, I will qualify that statement by pointing out that I gave this book five stars because it is a veritable treasure trove which contains many excellent examples of the use of logical fallacies and other manipulative techniques. Bald assertions? Check. False dilemmas? Check. In group, out group? Check. And many more besides.

C. S. Lewis was undoubtedly a skilled communicator, but the contents of Mere Christianity cast doubt on his integrity.