Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 11 April 2017
So enjoyed this story, as much for its twists and turns as for its horribly vivid description of life in the Middle Ages. Peddlars, magicians, and thieves abound, all vying for the coins of the terrified and the desperate. Lies are as valuable as gold to some and I didn't guess the main protagonists secret, even as I read the last pages.
Right, off to purchase another book by Karen Maitland.
on 2 January 2016
Overall a good and immersive read. It was a pleasure to see medieval characters bought to life faithfully and a microcosm of life represented so well on the page - the black death has been written about in many forms but this is the first book to use it convincingly as a supporting character rather than a main plot device. I did find the ending contrived and unfortunately wasn't as believable as the preceding chapters . This did ruin it slightly but I have re read the book several times with the awareness of the ending and still enjoyed it somewhat. A good debut.
on 29 May 2017
Another page turner from this author. As I've said previously, being a widow I tend to avoid ghost stories, especially as I read mostly at night , but her books are spooky rather than frightening. As usual the reader is kept guessing and intrigued. A wonderful book. Highly recommended.
on 1 June 2012
I expected an historical novel but, although it's billed as "a novel of the plague" on the cover, there is an underlying fantasy element to the book which made it less compelling for me. The story is told by Camelot, a seller of dubious relics, who gathers together a group of nine misfits who travel England in an attempt to escape the pestilence. Each has a secret - hence the title. It's a well written story and if it had been purely historical I might have enjoyed it more but once we were presented with the supernatural I lost interest (it's just not my cup of tea). However, I'm not one to stop reading half way through and I persevered until the end. Some of the secrets are good and some are very good and the author does an excellent job in surprising the reader when they are revealed. If you like fantasy then give it a try but if you want Wolf Hall I wouldn't recommend it.
on 21 May 2017
Wonderfully brilliant. .. you sense the tension slowly building, the country slowly worsening, despair increasing ,the misery as the plague surely increasing its grip bringing out the best and the very worst in people
on 19 July 2017
Great cant put down book. Excellent writing, captivating from the beginning to to it's conclusion. Well worth a read.
on 12 May 2017
An unusual story. I enjoyed it but it was very different to what I might normally read. I liked it being set in history I've not been keen to read historical novels before. I'd try another.
on 4 June 2017
My fave Karen Maitland book, yes I have read them all :)
on 6 June 2017
An intriguing journey through a Britain menaced by the Plague, with an engaging cast of characters
on 11 July 2017
Loved it loved it Loved it loved it Loved it loved it Loved it loved it Loved it loved it really I loved it x great x