Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 2 October 2016
I read a lot of books like this as I am interested in true life accounts of people facing challenge and/or danger. So I am not exactly a stranger to reading about hair-raising situations. However, the description of the 'Matthew Ford' mission was so tense that I had to literally put the book down and walk away for ten minutes just to steady my heart-rate before reading on. There were parts where the jargon was a little hard to follow for a non-techy person, but that in no way detracted from the sheer adrenaline high of reading about Ed Macy's adventures. Just make sure you can lie down in a darkened room afterwards to get over it.
on 23 March 2017
This is a very good book gives a good level information on how the team went about the war in Afghanistan and is a good story. I wanted to keep reading right to the end.
on 27 April 2017
interesting from the start and the action parts were well written,i had read about the jug room incident from the ground troops perspective
so interesting from the chopper pilots view
on 23 March 2017
Excellent first-hand account
on 9 March 2017
So gripping I finished it in one sitting
on 19 October 2009
Apache is a girl's book! Ok, ok, so it's really a boys book but don't be fooled by the stereotypically masculine cover and the macho hard hitting words, it really is a girl's book too.

How did I end up reading it? 3 grown men in my family have read it and they've all had big crocodile tears rolling down their faces, I swear. I've seen them punch the air in triumph, explode in raucous hilarity and then sit giggling for hours as they read on. I even had to endure the constant "you're never going to believe this", "this is incredible" and after catching them try to hide their damp cheeks "you're going to have to read this". If that wasn't bad enough I was then shown the footage online. "Yeah alright, I get the point; it's a true story..." I thought my hubby was arguably sad for sitting up until 3am in the morning reading and finally when he'd finished it I was a happy lady.
Apache was sat on the kitchen table waiting to be loaned out (yet again) and whilst waiting for a cake to bake (sorry, they don't all come from the supermarket!) I had a peek at the pictures. By pure accident I started reading the text next to the pictures on page 102. I burst out laughing and found myself engrossed in no time (a girl Apache pilot, never!). For the next 2 days I couldn't pull myself way from it. I tried, I really couldn't and he had to put up with the bedroom lamp on until 3 in the morning for once.

I took it to book club and all the ladies reluctantly purchased it and began reading. Remarkably they ended up sitting up until all hours too and it's the first time we've all completed a book in the same week. The comments were unanimous. We all experienced every emotion possible and couldn't quite believe we would like a book about a current war. This isn't for the faint hearted either. If you have a family member serving in Afghanistan and don't want to know the very scary truth, give it a wide berth; it will suck you in and before you know it you will be crying with worry. I've never felt so compelled to write a book review before, despite being an ardent reader. Pleasingly it doesn't go into politics or question what we are doing in Afghanistan in the first place. It just tells the story of what it's like to fight in the world's most hostile country. It's a firsthand account of what it's like to do the job so many of us wish would never have to be done in the first place. You will really feel like you're in the helicopter and that you're making Ed Macy's decisions for him. It's surreal to be that immersed and absorbed in another world. In fact, so bizarre I found my heart racing and often worried if I would make it out alive - 'IT'S JUST A BOOK' for Christ's sake! Whether you're for or against the armed forces, or the war in Afghanistan, or of a need to fight instead of talking, you will have no doubt after you finish Apache that this is simply a book about what our young men and women have to put up with everyday. Rightly or wrongly, they're our children getting paid to do a job, that's all. If there's one thing I've learned (and I learned a lot reading Apache) it's that our troops are compassionate and care for the Afghans. There is no macho attitude or killing spree going on. The Apaches are governed by very strict rules when it comes to shooting and the pilots always think about the effect they will have - often choosing not to shoot rather than risk hitting a house (just in case there's someone at home in the warzone/greenzone!)
Afterwards I felt like I could fly an Apache but then I pinched myself and decided to stick to cakes. It's a real rollercoaster of a ride so don't say I didn't warn you.
Kitchen Diva

PS. I'm new to reviewing so I hope I haven't gone on too much. Oh, have a box of tissues ready when they go into the fort (men included) and don't put a cake in the oven....
77 Comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2017
A bit technical
on 27 March 2010
Since getting this book, i couldn't put it down, only having to release it once i'd got to work! For the first and only time, i hoped the train or tube would break down. The details, the feelings conveyed, it was a stunning piece of writing from first hand accounts. Ed puts you in his head, in the Apache, in the action, you imagine yourself sitting in the front seat trying to find, lock & destroy the target, then suddenly your in the rear seat, protecting your front seater whilst trying to avoid being shoot down. Highs, lows, emotions a plenty!!!

To anyone who loves military books that aren't fiction and wants to know how it feels to be there, without having to struggle and put there body onthe line... LOOK HERE!!!

The men & women out there are the best!!!
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2008
Having only retired from the British Army in Jan 2008 the author has already produced this awesome book. I'm not going to review the "plot" as that information is readily available elsewhere on this page. The book is a totally unputdownable true story, focusing on the rescue of a captured lone marine. You are put into the heart of the action, feel the adrenaline and what must have been terror at what really goes on out there. definatley an eye-opener in terms of giving you a taste of life on this particualr front line, and not the carefully edited version we are all fed by the BBC and Sky news....

Illustrated with detailed diagrams and a good selection of photographs I finished this book the same day - which I hate doing as I always feel I haven't had my money's worth !! But without a doubt - it will be being read again....

I really can't recommend this book highly enough. If you want a damned good thrilling factual read then this is for you.
1212 Comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2011
I literally 'LOVED' this book. From start to finish it was easy to read, I couldnt put it down and finished it in a day (i had nothing else planned and even if i did, i would have taken it with me). If you like Andy McNab's factual books, and you like reading or learning about the forces from a behind the scenes perspective....get this book. Every person I know who has read this book sings its praises. I would have loved this as a present as opposed to some of the other books i get ! ;)