on 3 January 2013
Well written volume that brings back childhood memories of toys long forgotten but does not cover all toys just a select few that left you wanting more.
on 28 January 2016
Seller is fine / no problem.
Nb: to other buyers not a great book by any means.
on 13 February 2013
The book text is fine , and it only cost me a pound I think. I have the printed version, but part of its success was pictures of the toys , the kindle version has virtually no pictures so hence my major disappointment , buy the printed version and you will have lots of fun
on 21 May 2013
A real treasure of a book by Steve Berry. This will no doubt take you back to those childhood days, and to many a Christmas morning to see if the toy of your dreams was under the tree. Excellent nostalgia.
This book proved invaluable to me as a really useful little conversation starter during my recent cruise around the Fjords. It is a real trip down a 70s and 80s Memory Lane, even if it does inadvertently stir up a residual resentment for Father Christmas or your Auntie Vi or whoever else it might have been who never seemed to come good with the right toys when they were supposed to. It is packed full of photographs, which at least are all in colour - we're not THAT old then!

For the most part, the writing style is engaging and very humorous. Beware though, there is quite a bit of swearing sprinkled liberally throughout. Personally speaking, I don't think it adds anything to the work. Indeed, it detracts a little from the rest of the text, which is a great shame. Nevertheless, this book not only reminded me of toys I had forgotten ever wanting, but also the reasons why getting my hands on them seemed so important at the time. It isn't written with a rose-tinted slant either - most of the toys that looked so appealing in the Argos catalogue of 1978 I would not even give houseroom these days... unless they were worth a bob or two, of course. This book even gives an indication of that in , what it calls, 'eBayability'.

If the gadget did nothing but sit there eating batteries, this book will remind you of that fact. If it had a particularly neat advert to accompany it, that too will get a mention as well as perhaps one or two screenshots of the ad. The most personally satisfying additional little category is 'Envy'; In other words, how likely was it that someone in your class would give you a Chinese burn if you happened to mention being the proud owner of one of the toys from within these pages. That doesn't include 'Little Professor', because anyone who had one of those would have more than likely been given a Chinese burn anyway just for being rather sad.

I was not so much bothered about using this book to engage the vast majority of my fellow passengers on the cruise in idle chit-chat, since their average age must have been well within shouting distance of treble figures and consequently they were unlikely to have ever coveted a Stretch Armstrong anywhere near as much as I did. No, this book was a vital part of my plan for Getting My Ex-wife To Speak To Me. For reasons I won't go into here (but which involve my stinginess, her stubbornness and some rather significant threats to my long-term wellbeing), instead of cancelling a cruise I'd paid for before the spectacular self-destruction of our marriage, we found ourselves sharing an inside cabin. Neither one of us wanted the other to enjoy themselves, that's what it was.

Anyway, I was faced with two scenarios - either she was planning on completely ignoring me for the week (the lesser of the two evils, without question) or she was going to use our close confinement to remind me of just how much I'd ruined her life / broken her heart etc etc etc. I feared the latter was the more likely, given that The Silent Treatment is actually rather a perk for the bloke concerned and she certainly wouldn't have wanted me to enjoy anything like that. I needed a way to divert the woman's attention away from my role in her downfall and to focus her ire on someone else entirely. This book was the answer. And, the victim? My ex-wife's sister. Who was it who always got the Sindys and the Barbies and the Big Yellow Teapots? She did. And who was it who always got toys so boring that they don't even get a mention in this book? My ex-wife. All I had to do was to nod sympathetically once in a while, shake my head disbelievingly every now and again and to completely keep a lid on the fact that I once owned a couple of Barbies myself. Suddenly, I was her friend! Fair enough, I couldn't get a word in for the entire week, but that seemed like such a small price to pay under the circumstances.
on 20 May 2013
I really enjoyed being reminded of toys from my childhood. The footnotes are especially funny!! I would recommend it, buy it now!!
on 13 September 2013
Very interested book, loads to jog your memory about a lot of forgotten toys and even some you may not remember or heard of
on 27 February 2015
Loved flicking back through my youth. Had a fair number of these gems. Great memories, great days, great toys, great book.
on 27 September 2012
This is a lovely book for a child of the 80's. Very nice to pick up and flick through and read something then put it down again. You could read it all in one sitting but I prefer to look through, have a read and remember things before moving onto the next thing. I remember most of the things in this book so seems to be aimed to a UK market which is good as a lot of these types of books are written by Americans so there are things I don't recognise but this one is different.
on 9 December 2012
Very informative and I like the humorous asides
I would prefer however, not to have to keep flitting to the end of each review in order to read the additional text indicated by the numbered keys which crop up in the body of the text.