on 26 April 2017
Good, useful book.
on 25 November 2009
This really is a tremendous book that offers so much to those in grief, and to indivuals working with people who are grieving.

Both authors are experts in this area having worked for many many years with people dealing with bereavement. They also share their own history and journey with grief, which happens to be helpfu not indulgent.

They describe helpfully the stages of grief, which will be immensely reassuring to anyone who thinks they are going mad whilst trying to cope with their loss. They convey strongly that when a loved one dies you don't get over the loss, it is always there, but you learn to live with the loss, but it takes a long time and there isn't a neat 'end point' when grief is finished.

Written with great compassion, heart and their skill and experience is in every sentence. It feels authentic and that you are in safe hands as the authors share their wisdom about death and loss.

After I had read it, it gave me the confidence to buy this book for someone whose parent died more than a year ago, although I did so with some trepidation in case it was ill received. I couldn't have been more wrong and they were so touched that I understood that they were still grieving for their Mum and they 'hadn't got over it' just because it had stopped being mentioned. What a gift of a book that encouraged my gesture and has openend my eyes and heart on this topic. I strongly recommend this book.
on 17 March 2008
EXCELLENT BOOK. This is essential reading for all of us you have/will lose a loved one - grief is such a personal thing, but this books shows the common demoninators, a book to be read and reread during a time of grieving - cannot recommend highly enough. I have given this book as gifts to grieving friends and they could not believe it when they read in print how they were feeling. In fact this book should be read by everyong on the planet - it will equip us better and help us find the way, not only for ourselves but for whose who may need our support in their dark time of grieving.
on 19 January 2010
I recently lost my partner of mor than 50 years and am suffering greatly, as is my daughter at the loss of her mother. It was suggested that we read books by this author and of the 3 that I read, this was the most influential in easing my grief. I bought this book for my daughter and she also has found that it gives her some relief from her grief. I would suggest that anyone who is grieving should get this book. I'm sure they will find it as helpful as we have
on 13 December 2008
When I lost a loved one I searched the bookshops for something that could help me through such a traumatic time. I bought some books which were quite helpful and some that were not. Then I bought 'On Grief and Grieving' and finally I had the answers, the understanding and the help I had been searching for for so long. This is an absolute must for all those who are suffering the awful hopelessness of losing someone. I can't recommend this book enough and recently bought another copy for a relative who had just lost her husband. It covers every aspect and stage of grieving whether it be for a parent, partner, child, soulmate, sibling or pet.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2005
At times of great grief, when it seems difficult to come up with the right things to say to the grieving, one hopes to run into a companion, a book, anything, that shares the experience of people who have gone through similar experiences before and emerged in one piece. Much to one's dismay, one finds a whole parade of grief counseling peddlers. Garden variety touchy-feely advice. Precious little for people with brain cells in the right places.
That is what makes this Kubler-Ross compilation an absolute treasure of a find. It is intelligent in its narrative of moments one goes through at times of deep sudden loss, and the kinds of things one can do or think to ride the emotional rollercoasters that inevitably ensue. The prose is sane, easy to identity with. There is a rich cornucopia of examples and real life experiences that go to great lengths to cushion the self-doubt one could quite easily feel while indulging in a book on the subject.
I cannot recommend this muddle-through read highly enough. A smart, sensitive companion. Look for the paperback if possible, there is one. As you are reading this review, may I also offer to point out that life's curveballs may appear random at times, with very little explanations offered for unpleasant things one has to live through, but life goes on. You will get through it. Best wishes.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2010
My doctor recommended this book. I've begun to read it slowly, a section at a time. I've realised what I'm reading is what I'm living. It helps to know that.
on 21 August 2011
Having suffered the loss of my 26 year old son 9 months ago, I found this book most helpful. I had no idea that grief has a basic pattern, the detail of which usually varies from person to person. I found that I have shared some or part of the experiences of the many cases described in the book used to illustrate certain situations. During grief it is sometimes difficult not to feel alone, even within one's own loving family. In deferring to other people's feelings, you sometimes forget your own and, as this book points out, it is most important to keep your own in focus and nurture them. People often will not broach the painful subject unless you do first because they do not know how to.

This book is a must for anyone who has suffered a loss which need not be only a death. There are many things we need to grieve over.
on 31 August 2010
This was a great find. There were good examples which put things in context and the information was clear, easy to read with no unnecessary technical terminology. Whichever stage you find yourself at in the grieving process you will find this book useful. As a foster carer I have also found it useful when dealing with young people who have suffered loss.
on 20 May 2009
This is a book I have used both professionally and personally; I suggest it to clients who are experiencing loss as it has been a great solace to me when I have been bereaved. It is written by one of the greatest experts on death and dying, grief and loss, and is very easy to read and speaks from the heart to the heart.