on 27 May 2017
I am not sure about this book , I enjoyed it in parts, then other parts I just seemed to drift through it.
I do like this author but feel this was not him at his best
on 27 March 2017
I enjoyed this book from start to end. It kept you in suspense and had some good, well rounded characters. Well worth reading
on 6 July 2017
This is one of my all time favourite authors I can't wait for next book thank you and keep writing Chris Mooney ❤️
on 15 June 2017
Not quite as gripping as the first Darby McCormick novel but a great read all the same. I am now hooked and will be reading all the series.
on 9 December 2011
good and gritty well described scenes and scary at times, but half way through i found it a bit annoying when it became a "who dun it" for a while , thankfully that didnt last long and it went back to being good again.
on 5 July 2017
3 star rating , due to the fact that it was predictable. Nothing really exciting happen no twists ! .
on 30 August 2017
Good story, good plot. Can't put it down. Looking forward to reading No. 3.
on 31 August 2008
I first read The Missing and thought it was a wonderful read and would be very hard to repeat. Not the case Chris Mooney is a fantastic writer and I am now going through the web collecting the other books. The secret friend is a constant page turner, it grips you pretty much from the beginning.
on 29 July 2008
discovered Chris Mooney when I picked up his novel Deviant Ways. I instantly fell for Jack Casey and the mysterious Malcolm Fletcher. I have read all of Mooney's books and I have adored all of them.

The Secret Friend is the newest Mooney entry and I have to say that I ADORED this book. Our main character Darby McCormick, who we have seen in Mooney's previous novel is back and she is asked to investigate a body that was found floating in the Boston harbor. After some research, the body is linked to another murder - that of Emma Hale - who has a father with an endless supply of money and many, many connections. As Darby continues to investigate, she will come across a potential third victim which will lead the police on a wild chase to find the third victim before she is killed.

Surprisingly, Darby will get some unwanted help from a very, very important person - who makes a return appearance from Deviant Ways - and I am so thrilled that he is part of the storyline. Mooney made a great move in joining Darby and this character and we now get a tad more info on this character. There is chemistry between the two and from the very beginning, when they meet, you can feel a connection, although Darby refuses to acknowledge it.

What I also loved about this book is the location. Alot of the action takes place in a deserted, spooky mental hospital. Mooney does a great job of describing the hospital and makes it all sound almost supernatural. I thought it really added to the storyline. There is also an interesting twist towards the middle of the book that I was not expecting at all.

All I can say is that I am thrilled to see these two characters in the same book and I think it may be time to bring back someone else from Deviant Ways - please Chris???????

You have to buy this book - its a great read and will make the hair at the back of your neck stand up.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2011
'The Missing' was a very good book, taut, full of suspense until the end and, of course, the introduction of CSI Darby McCormick.

She's back for a second outing now, better equipped and highly regarded so that when another serial killer comes into view, she and her team are obviously the people to chose to prise out the killer.

Inevitably, she manages to find minute clues through her forensic investigations which help her track down the person in question but, halfway through, up pops another character from a previous book (not known to me at the time of reading) who, frankly, seems to know than anybody and who gradually guides Darby to the final outcome. Quite why remains a mystery.

This book is not as good as the first one, probably because the story, although quite gripping and intricate, doesn't build very much on the characters we already know. It's a little procedural. not in the police work which seems to be well portrayed but rather in the way the story unfolds. Few - if any - red herrings and always an underlying thought that with Darby in charge, she will save the day and the victim - just in time.

I gather we are supposed to regard Darby as a book version of Kate Beckinsale. Well, okay but do we, therefore, expect journeys into the netherworld sometime soon? We shall see as I'm just about to read the third outing for the girl.