on 18 July 2017
Yet again an excellent page turner from the start amazing story with twists and turns and only finding the truth in the final pages in the court room but not ending their!!! The final ending on the novel is really true to lift. I feel this novel is a read and deserves 5 stars more please
on 6 September 2017
Typical Dick Francis thriller; well worth a read
on 20 May 2017
Still the best and always will be,love all his books.
on 29 July 2017
enjoyed it
on 31 August 2017
His style of writing falls far short of his father's. Unimaginative, unexciting. A shame.
on 9 August 2017
Excellent
on 8 December 2008
I've been a Dick Francis fan for 25 years and have read and re-read everything he's written with glee and delight: even when the basic plots and what happened to the hero seem formulaic, the background research and the sparkling dialogue, and the quick way in which the author taught you about the new area of knowledge the book was dealing with always shone out against much less accomplished writers.

Sadly, the recent efforts lack that polish and clarity and Silks is even more longwinded than Dead Heat was. Perhaps some of the fault lies in the main character, a rather staid and straight-laced barrister who takes most of the book to be jolted out of his rather complacent life, but the dialogue seemed stilted, whole pages were devoted to complex backstory that previous books would have dashed off in a few succinct paragraphs, and overall I felt what was needed most was a good editor.

Once the story got going I did enjoy it, but getting to that point was a chore, no devouring page after page with gusto as in previous works.

Its great that Dick Francis is still writing, and I'm glad his son Felix is able to work with him but I suspect what we're really lacking here is the fine and sure touch of his wife Mary; it must be hard to change a writing team that had honed its skills to perfection. This is readable, and somewhat fun, but I hope the next book sees Dick and Felix getting into their stride.

Not one I'll be re-reading, sad to say and three stars mainly because even a poor Dick Francis is still a Dick Francis
on 13 July 2009
I'd had this book for a week before I had time to read it and was looking forward to it very much. I have all of his other books and have read them several times. It took a very long time for me to get into the book, Far to much legal waffle for me. The thing that upset me most was half way through a photo was found to be missing showing a dead girl with a foal. I recently read John Francome's Cover Up and I read on with dread that this book was going to follow the same story line, and it did. Surely someone involved with the production ot this book should have noticed the similarity, Cover Up was only published in 2005. I do hope He does better next time.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 February 2013
"Perry" Mason - (Geoffrey) is a fulltime barrister and a part-time steeple chase jockey.

A professional jockey, Steve Mitchell is accused of murdering his biggest rival, Scot Barlow. Geoffrey Mason is told by a man who he had prosecuted, to make sure that he looses the case, otherwise all those near and dear to him, will suffer the consequences.

I love Dick Francis books. I always learn something new about the world of horse racing. I also get to read a really good mystery. Once again - I'm not disappointed. This was full of all the right ingredients and kept me guessing as to the real purpose of the murder and also how "Perry" Mason was going to solve it - without himself or anyone close to him being killed off.
on 7 October 2009
Silks was one of those books I didn't want to put down! Dick Francis has the knack of describing the writer's feelings of fear and love together with excitement around the storyline. It was detailed regarding court procedures without being boring and taking one through a horse race as if on the back of the horse. His description of the injuries sustained in a fall, made one feel them personally! The life of a jockey is opened up for all to experience and literally feel!

The story kept me guessing about the outcome to the last page and cleverley involved a genuine fear for the main character's father.