Customer reviews

The Supernaturalist
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 23 October 2005
Well I stand corrected because i thought that Eoin Colfer would flop without Artemis but this book is pure, total genius. It's actually really unpredictable (although there are various hints throughout as to the ending). I love the characters, there are a wide variety of personalities, from Cosmo's slightly awkward sweetness to Stefan's relentless self-loathing. The plot is just as mental as any of the Arty books, but actually i think this could just have (shock horror) slightly more potential, although Colfer seems to be making a habit of some things. I have to admit, i wasn't expecting much but this book was brilliant and i absolutely LOVED it. Bring on the sequel (you could smell it at the end) because this plot deserves one, unlike many of the books I've read recently.
6 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2005
I've just finished "The Supernaturalist" and I have to say I enjoyed every minute of it. It was neither too long nor too short. One of the best books I've read in a while.
Eoin Colfer has created admirable characters with unique identities and I ended up (in my mind of course) giving voices to each character. The plot is very thorough and original and the feeling of excitement or anticipation never left me. For such a futuristic story, any non-science-fiction person will find it easy to cope with and the equipment and setting is well described with flair and simplicity.
I hope he does more of these single story novels or, if not, a sequel to this. Come on Eoin, my lad! Write, write, write!
One person found this helpful
on 27 November 2004
From the award winning author of Artemis Fowl comes a magnicifent escapade of the future set in a not too distant future a band of children are fighting a secret blue alien race that sucks life force out of innocent humans....
A great insight to "The Big Pig" and the descriptions are incredible, Colfer uses his writing style to capture the minds of the readers and take them to a world where everything is beliveable
With wonderful characters and an amazing twisting plot all Artemis Fowl fans will whoop with joy when reading it
2 people found this helpful
on 6 June 2004
The first book I read of Eoin Colfer was Artemis Fowl, which was a great and original read. Since then I have read all his other books and this one is no exception from that originality. The story is a lot darker than in preveous books, set in a future where man has destroyed the enviroment and countries are run more or less by corporations. It's plain to see that Colfer has very strong views on the enviroment
The characters, whilst lacking in depth, are quite suited to such a fast pased comic-strip-like story. Colfer's inventivness at creating fictional technology in a way that is totally believable is stronger than ever here, but it isn't quite as funny as the Artemis series. The greatest thing I can say about this book is that it brilliantly realizes a fictional world. I must have for anyone who enjoys children's fantasy or is looking for nice engrossing book that will utterly absorb them.
14 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2015
Excellent
on 19 April 2011
Getting straight into this, it isn't Fowl, but its still distinctly an Eoin Colfer book; the engaging charaters, natural humour and believable dialogue all add up to make this my favourite of all Colfer's books. Suitable for any age, it is a rewarding and subtley brilliant read, original and with a clear and imaginitive story. Typical of Colfer; my only disappointment is the lack of a sequel. Definitley recommended! (see description for a plot summary)
on 10 July 2016
Stefan should've snapped that B*****s spine
on 9 January 2005
I have been a big Eoin Colfer fan since the first days of Artemis Fowl. Before reading this book, I had recently read 'The Wish List' reluctant at first as i felt it could not live up to Artemis Fowl. I was proved wrong with a very funny and enteraining book. So with this book i was rebounding off Colfer's other two works thinking that this would work on the same format, being funny yet having a really engaging plot. However i was dissapointed as although i found the plot engaging enough for me to be read the book through, i didn't laugh out loud once something that is rare in a Colfer page let alone a book. So i suggest to anybody who reads this book not to be disaponted by its lack of Colfer's trademark humour.
on 1 July 2007
I liked this book. It was much tougher but more fun than the fowl series. I would say it was more original, but It felt like across between loads of things. Good, but could do with a unique twist. This book is NOT predictable and I love it, no matter what is wrong with it.
on 23 October 2014