on 21 December 2005
I was given a dog-eared copy of this book while in a rehab centre in Dublin and found it wonderful. The book is written on Marion Keyes own experiences and manages to give an incredibly accurate account of "life inside" without being bogged down with sentamental tales of suffering or sounding like a martyr. It is uplifting, funny and very honest. I for one found it a great help in my recovery, and would even go so far as saying, the fact Rachel is so funny and normal she helped me admit I had a problem and not feel like a freak ! I also lent it to my mum and sisters to help them understand my state of mind at the time. If you or anyone you know has a problem with drugs or alcohol please buy this book, and if you don't, buy it anyway. It's really good. I have read everything she has published since, she is a fantastic storyteller !
ps and that original copy is still doing the rounds as far as I know !!!
on 11 July 2004
Having read Rachel's Holiday for the first time 5 years ago, I've since read and re-read it and I just never tire of it. It's more than a girly read. It has more depth than that. I've read all Marian Keyes books and this one by far is her best and strongest novel. However if you plan on reading Rachel's Holiday (which I strongly urge you to do) first read Watermelon,Rachel's Holiday and then Angels. They are a triology of (what I hope will be 5 books) 5 sisters. The Walsh sisters. Claire (Watermelon), Rachel's Holiday (Rachel) and Angels (Maggie). I'm already looking forward to reading about Anna and especially the hilarious Helen.
(PS There was a tv drama based loosly on Watermelon which was awful and not a patch on the great read that it is - that's just by the by!)
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2002
Rachel's Holiday is about another sister in the Walsh family written about in Marian Keyes' Watermelon. Rachel is the middle sister, an Irish emigree living in New York with Brigit, her best friend from Dublin. They seem to be having a normal time in NYC, partying away while taking the occasional drugs ....
Then Brigit finds Rachel overdosed on drugs and her family takes Rachel back to Ireland to rehab at a place called the Cloisters. She does not understand why she is there, it's all a big misunderstanding, she's not really an addict, but the Cloisters has a reputation for having celebrities and there should be a gym, sauna, massage .... heck, she'll stay to please everyone and leave in 2 weeks.
Through a series of flashbacks by Rachel and visits from her parents and friends in her group therapy, the true extent of Rachel's problem unfolds to both the reader and Rachel herself. Intertwined in this is her relationship with Luke from NYC and how drugs destroyed it as well.
In short, a great read, written in a fun style, which you wouldn't think you'd get with such serious subject matter.
Excellent ! This was the first of Marian Keyes books I have read and thoroughly enjoyed it. Laughs from start to finish with an excellent storyline. The characters are strong and well defined with the right amount of description, sympathy etc for each. I shall certainly be reading more of her books and would think that she would appeal to most female readers.
on 13 June 1999
I first read Keyes in hospital during my pregnancy. it was Watermelon, and I hadn't laughed so much in years. After reading Lucy Sullivan, I eagerly grabbed my copy of Rachel's Holiday and tucked in. This book didn't disappoint. On the contrary, I could not put it down. The story grabs you. Having read Watermelon, I felt as if I already knew the family and the old familiar feel helped to jig the story along. Rachel seems so sweet, but a bit like every girl I've known. Where Keyes really excels is that Rachel is an addict and we see life from her point of view. It is scarey. Like a rollercoaser out of control at times. Yet Rachel has a problem and Keyes really gets at the heart of it. This is a truly wonderful read. it is therapeutic, and should be given to all people trying to quit a habit. perhaps doctors should prescribe it on the NHS! BUY, BUY, BUY!
on 10 January 2005
Let me begin by saying that I cannot stand 'Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel'. Although they are marketed to the same demographic, there is no way should you confuse Keyes with Fielding's neurotic, pathetic, 2D schlock.
Sadly, when I first read 'Last Chance Saloon' I was in the confident bloom of my twenties & its truths went straight over my head. My verdict at the time was that it wasn't as engaging as 'Watermelon' or 'Rachel's Holiday', but having re-read it five years later I bow my head in shame. Keyes clearly has some Irish gypsy mojo going on that she was able to predict my (and many others') future so well. If I had paid a little closer attention to the incredibly human detail of this novel, I might have saved myself three years of the confidence dissolving agony that comes with dating & then being engaged to a manipulative loser.
My lesson from this? I've resolved that the next time I think I'm in love with someone, I will read a Marian Keyes novel & have a long hard think about it.
on 9 December 2005
If you want a book that will make you laugh and cry, then this is the one for you. I loved this book and I couldn't put it down. The best line in the book has to be the one that follows Tara's body wrap experience commenting that she looked like she had just been exhumed. As I had just had a body wrap myself and knew all to well the exhumed look, I was almost falling off the chair laughing at this observation. There were many more observations that had me nodding and laughing in agreement too.
There is also an underlying message in this book that life is short and that we should make the most of it whilst we have it. I would love to read this book again. If you buy this book you certainly won't regret it.
on 7 September 2001
I cannot praise this book enough. It definitely transcends the genre of British Chick Lit (and don't get me wrong, I'm a big CL fan). It's funny and witty and full of romance, but it's also dark, shockingly painful, and full of realistic loneliness. Keye's masterful storytelling sucks you in - the books starts out breezy and full of laughs (even though we find Rachel, our protagonist, in the hospital after she's almost killed herself with an overdose). Her family whisks her out of New York City and back to Ireland, to rehab. The use of flashbacks can be tricky - in the hands of less adept writers, they're jarring and annoying - but Keye's uses flashbacks to carefully reveal to us just what a horrible, horrible mess Rachel was. At the same time, you get inside Rachel's head, and despite what a wretched mess she is, you start rooting for her. The supporting cast is perfect, and they evolve too - as you read, Luke moves from a macho caricature to a wonderful, sweet man (that the old Rachel truly didn't deserve!) But how many of us have had times in our lives when we felt about a wonderful guy the same way that the "bad" Rachel did about Luke - too caught up in what was supposed to be cool to notice the things that really matter. I especially found sister Helen to be a hoot - at first I didn't like her character, but by the end you see that she loves Rachel in her own way and wants her to be well. Overall, you get much more than just a piece of lightweight fluff with "Rachel's Holiday", it's funny and ultimately romantic, true. But it's thought-provoking and inspirational, as well. I'd also recommend "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" but Rachel's Holiday is in a class of its own. (Although I do have "Watermelon" in my stack of books to read - the story of Rachel's big sister.)
on 15 October 1999
Marian Keyes is absolutely my favourite author. If she wrote a shopping list, I'd read it. And laugh my head off. I first read "Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married" in 4 hours whilst lying on a beach in Barbados (annoying my boyfriend by reading nearly every line out loud to him and laughing hysterically) and have since devoured all her other books. I've just finished her latest, "Last Chance Saloon" which I enjoyed very much but it's when she writes in the first person, as she does in "Rachel's Holiday" when she really comes into her own. I read this book on holiday (Cyprus this time - don't I get around!) and stayed up reading till 3.30am to finish it. I read the end 4 times, sobbing all the while, then got up again at 8.30am to read it all over again. I could totally identify with everything Rachel goes through - and I don't even drink, let alone take drugs! Please buy this book and while you're about it, buy all the other titles from Miss Keyes as well.
on 2 August 2006
I loved this one (as all of Marian's)... I saw another reviewer saying that she was awake until 3am to read on and find out what happens - but I'm even worse, as I stayed up until 3am (well, 2am to be precise) to RE-READ the book!

The three stories of the main characters touch upon different life situations which most of us have come across one way or another, and are therefore very touching. However, even the serious situations are made lighter through Marian's usual and well-loved humour.

The underlying message that we should enjoy our life is very strong - and useful...

A very good read!