Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.49

on 16 July 2015
I really enjoyed this book and found it quite inspirational how a young boy from rural China could go on to achieve so much in his life. He was lucky to be chosen as "Mao's last dancer" but his hard work and sheer determination to succeed just shone throughout the book.
An interesting read for those keen on China as it opened up to the West. .
on 8 December 2012
I loved this book, probably because it gave a very heart-rending account of life in Mao's China for the very poor, while underlining the strength of family love and loyalty, and the responsibility felt by a young boy to succeed for his family's sake. We in the western world can have no concept of what life must be like in a dictatorship. I cried, frequently and couldn't put the book down. Thank you Li!!
on 4 October 2014
Brilliant. A very interesting account of life in the commune under Chairman Mao and a very positive,
moving and uplifting story of how, if you have the talent, with dedication and commitment there's
no saying what you can achieve. I enjoyed every page and was sometimes moved to tears.
Perfect. Loved the book
on 11 August 2011
The true story of a small boy plucked from his family in a remote Chinese village to become a ballet star. You feel everything with this humble, sincere man, including - most exhilaratingly - the sensation of dancing. An inspiring story and beautifully written: a very deserving bestseller. I defy anyone to give this book less than 5 stars! So why is the DVD of the film still not available in European format?!
on 4 January 2004
Being the first biography I have ever read...I was unsure on how I would adapt to the texture of the piece. Raised on Edith Blyton and later fed tales of love and war by ultimate classics like Ludlum and Grisham, "Mao's last dancer" did something that previously I have never really found in books. Sure it would be great to be a walking talking James Bond, or to fulfil my destiny to rid middle earth of 'the ring to rule them all' but in my head they are just dreams. Li Cunxins dreams seemed so impossible, and yet against all odds he became a successor. Living now in a world many light years away from the then China, its almost incomprehensible to me, but yet his story has enlightened the way I see things, and the way I will continue to see things.
From the Chinese prophecies to the details of Cunxin's 'dia' and 'niang', every aspect seem to carry about a balance that draws you in deeper to his life. By the third chapter I was completely hooked and continued reading on and on into the night, until before I knew it, I had finished the book in only one day.
I felt like I was there with him on the entire journey, page to page; and as in any book, this is an important factor. I would like to thank Li Cunxin and those who made it possible for me to feel part of such a wonderfully colourful, yet sometimes dark, life embrace.
I would recommend this book to people of all ages, as I am but 16 and found it inspiring to the heart. 5 out of 5 Stars.
By Bianca Newman
on 18 November 2008
I loved this book. It provides a fascinating insight into the lives of rural peasants in Mao's communist China - the propoganda, the unbelievable poverty, lack of opportunity and the brutality of the communist regime. Li's story of being taken out of the impoverised but loving environment of his family when he was chosen to train at the Beijing Dance Academy, evokes in detail his terrible homesickness,the tortuous training regimes he endured, and the dedication and support of new friend and teachers. The second part of the story, of his adult life in America, is skipped over with less detail and feels a bit crammed in. However the reunion with his family after many years without contact is very moving and overall it is a great story, well told and very readable. You don't need to know anything about dance to enjoy this book.
on 31 December 2003
I hardly ever read books, so for me the propsect of sitting down to read a biography of a ballet dancer was daunting. I have to say though, Li's story is amazing, not so much for the journey from physical and poilitical hardship to all the west has to offer, but more for the resolve a small boy had to muster in order to find his way out of the well.
I liked the manner in which the story is told, open, honest and without pretention. It held me from cover to cover. A great read.
on 26 March 2014
I ORDERED THE BOOK AND HAD TO WAIT 2 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY. WHEN IT ARRIVED IT WAS DAMAGED THERE WERE ABOUT 30 PAGES THAT HAD BEEN CUT SHORT AND TEXT WAS MISSING FROM EACH PAGE. I RETURNED THE BOOK AND ASKED FOR A REPLACEMENT. THE RETURN HAS NOT BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED AND IM STILL WAITING FOR A REPLACEMENT BOOK. IT IS FOR A GIFT AND I NOW URGENTLY NEED DELIVERY OR SOME INFORMATION AS TO WHEN IT WILL BE REPLACED
on 18 December 2008
This is the Young Readers' version of the adult book of the same name. There is no indication on the Amazon blurb or on the front cover image that this is the case. I have given it a 5-star rating, as I'm sure it will be a total inspiration to young people and will be as beautifully and gently written as the adult version.