on 29 June 2014
Said it before about Iggulden's books, if they were used as history books at school I would have me a err my a lot more than I did!
Took some getting into after the Emperor series, lots of unusual names!
But, well worth it. Just downloaded the second book.
My only gripe isn't with the writing or writer, it's with whoever produced this e version. Why, when it says you have read 85%, does the book end and then give the first FIVE chapters of the next book.
Really disappointed when this first book just suddenly ended at 85%.
And, I don't want to read ANY of the next book. This isn't necessary in a series.
Maybe at the end to introduce a new book or series. Even then, not 5 chapters.
on 17 March 2015
I heard Conn Iggulden on the radio when one of his books was reviewed and listeners gave their review. They were so good I took a mental note to remember the name and I am glad I did. I am a fan of writers like Bernard Cornwell and have read all his books so was looking for another author to thrill me as Bernard has over many years. Wolf of the Plains was the first book by Conn I've read and I was hooked from the start. It tells the story of the early days of Genghis Khan growing up on the plains of Mongolia. A tough life and one that was full of adventure and conflict. I loved it and couldn't wait to read more and am onto the second in the series already, where Genghis Khan unites the tribes of Mongolia and then marches into the lands of Xi Xia and Chin (ie China) and we see how he overcame his enemies with skill, courage and ruthlessness. I'll probably now read everything by Conn and eagerly await future books as they are published.
on 5 January 2017
This book is about the early life of the legendary Genghis Khan. If you like fast-paced historical faction like Iggulden, Scarrow, Cornwell you will like this. And I found it more enjoyable than most in the genre. There weren't a plethora of ridiculous fight/battle scenes, which I personally sometimes dislike. There was also an interesting character for Genghis from child onwards with other good characters. I think it ranks alongside Iggulden's work in the Emperor series which is a compliment. As I say, fans of historical fast-paced faction, you'll enjoy this one.
on 1 February 2015
This is an absorbing chronicle of an extraordinary pioneer who shook the world with his grasp of politics and warfare. No doubt various aspects of Ghengis' life have been embellished or even invented but it's clear that it must've taken a remarkable character to achieve so much. This is an account of the events in his early life that shaped this amazing man and the times and traditions that also must have influenced him.

Iggledun makes no apologies for changing aspects of the known facts in order to create a more exciting narrative but the story rings true and many of the more outlandish episodes are taken straight from the historical records. I thought that perhaps some of the characters weren't very distinct but overall found this a fascinating venture into largely unknown territory for me and the actions, cultural values and motivations of the characters are vividly captured. I look forward to the rest of the series.
on 9 March 2017
I would rate this as 3 Burnt Toasts. That's how many times I burnt my toast in one chapter when reading it!. So I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to escape from the mundane world of kinds, cleaning, washing up and smoke alarms.
on 10 September 2011
"Wolf of the Plains" is a great way of stimulating one's appetite for a period in history which remains alien to many of us. In it Conn Iggulden uses his skill as a page-turning author to arouse one's interest in Ghengis Khan & the rise of the Mongol Empire in Asia.
The story of the young boy who is forced to fend for his mother & brothers in the hostile lands of the north is a real adventure which hooks one's imagination from beginning to end. I felt impelled to read the subsequent books in the series immediately . What is even better, I am now tackling a more academic account of the period. This would never have happened without the initial stimulus of the fictitious work.

Definitely a five star book at any level.
on 4 August 2012
I have now read the whole 'Conqueror' series in the full knowledge that it is historical fiction i.e. a work comprised of some facts, some assumptions, some speculations and some fabrication and on that basis it delivers the goods. I appreciated that the author took the trouble to provide some clarification of fact from fiction in the historical notes section.

If you enjoy historical novels with a bit of gore and pace then you will not be disappointed.

I have read the 1 star reviews and it appears some have misled themselves and some are simply using the review process to carp about poor service .....
on 14 February 2018
This is the 1st in a series of 5 , I’ve read them all about 4 times and will read them again . This book was the only one I didn’t have in hardback. The series of books are not just for men, the author lets you feel like you are right there in the books. Conn Iggulden is an amazing author and his books never disappoint.
on 14 December 2013
I didn't expect to enjoy this anywhere near as much as I did, as I don't usually go for historical fiction. This was different. The life and times of Mongol warriers and their families seemed well researched, but it's fiction not fact and so any modifications to the real events didn't worry me. The author included an Afterword with some factual notes, which was helpful. This is a very very well told story of Ghengis Khan's early life, brought to life interesting detail. I was gripped from the first pages onwards, and immediately bought the next books in the series.
on 6 September 2017
What a great book about a fascinating time in history, the beginnings of one of the most feared men in history. Very well told and incredibly easy to read. I highly recommend this book..... now for the second one