Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

Miranda's ex-lover is found murdered. She had a motive and the opportunity. After being arrested for the crime, Miranda is shocked to learn she's been released on bail--bail posted by someone determined to remain anonymous. Is someone trying to help Miranda? Or is someone trying to manipulate Miranda and draw her into the dark and secret world of a murdered man, where everybody's presumed guilty?

This novel is being promoted in February 2012 as "Tess Gerritsen's New Book" - well, it's a long way from new because it was published nearly twenty years ago when Tess was better known for romance than crime fiction. This isn't anything like her best work - I read it several years ago after enjoying Harvest and her three other medical thrillers, as well as the early Rizzoli novels, and soon discovered that her earlier work wasn't really 'up there' with these books. To her great credit she has simply got better and better as she has progressed, which isn't something I could say about many authors in this genre. Tess has written over 25 novels and she's still at the top of her game. Presumed Guilty, however, was written when she was a little further down that climb to the top!

If you're looking for her genuinely 'new' novel in 2012, you'll need to wait until 4th September (although this may change) for her latest Rizzoli/Isles outing called Last to Die. Also, there's another Tess Gerritsen novel called The Girl Who Lived which is also coming out in September 2012 but I suspect this may be another 'alternative title', possibly to The Last to Die. I will update this when I know for sure.

:UPDATE: 9 Feb 2012

I can now confirm that Last to Die and The Girl Who Lived are both one and the same story. Tess Gerritsen has just told me "Hey OEJ, nice to hear from you again! Yes, as you guessed, those are the same book. We had a working title of THE GIRL WHO LIVED, but my publisher ended up hating it, so they changed it to LAST TO DIE. I hope they correct that soon on Amazon.co.uk soon. tess"
88 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2012
Certainly not a new book - issued a long time ago- very disappointing. Why hail it as a new book ?
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2012
When did Tess Gerritsen last write a'new' book? This is copyright 1993 and published in UK 2009. I think it is very wrong to suggest this is a new book when it clearly isn't.
on 12 February 2010
Im very surprised by the reviews and by the somewhat low score for this book.

I'm not a big reader and have before now, stuck to the chiller/horror genre. I couldnt be more glad that I finally forced myself to read this book my mum gave me.

I was immersed in the story from the very outset and literally couldnt put it down - that just doesnt happen to me! I sat till 5am and when I rose the next day I completed the remainder.

The mix between romance and thriller works very well and the pace is perfect. I couldnt say enough about it and I am now reading my second Tess book, 'Harvest'.
I think this book reaches out to include people who usually wouldnt read a crime thriller.

Go ooooon Tess!
on 18 July 2004
MIRANDA WOOD'S EX-LOVER WAS FOUND STABBED TO DEATH IN MIRANDA'S BED WITH MIRANDA'S KITCHEN KNIFE. SHE HAD A MOTIVE - ALOVE AFFAIR GONE BAD - AND THE OPPORTUNITY.
BUT DESPITE HER PROTESTS OF INNOCENCE, MIRANDA IS SHOCKED TO LEARN SHE'S BEEN RELEASED ON BAIL - BAIL POSTED BY SOMEONE DETERMINED TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS. WAS THIS AN ACT OF KINDNESS DESIGNED TO BUY MIRANDA TIME TO CLEAR HER NAME? OR IS SOMEONE TRYING TO MANIPULATE MIRANDA AND DRAW HER INTO THE DARK AND SECRET WORLD OF A MURDERED MAN, WHERE EVERYBODY'S PRESEUMED GUILTY?
HOW TWO REVIEWS CAN BE SO DIFFERENT. ALTHOUGH NOT ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, THIS IS BY NO MEANS A BOOK TO BE PUSHED ASIDE.
THIS IS A WELL WRITTEN TAUNT THRILLER, WHICH I THOURALLY ENJOYED.
MS. GERRITSEN HAS PROVED HERSELF TO BE A FINE WRITER OF MODERN DAY THRILLERS, AS WELL AS HER RENOWNED MEDICAL THRILLERS.(you must read "never say die"). YES THIS BOOK IS A TOUCH PREDICTABLE BUT IT DEFINATELY DESERVES MORE THAN ONE STAR.
THE CHARACTORS ARE WELL LAID OUT, THE IDEA IS A GOOD ONE AND YOU WILL KEEP GUESSING WHO THE KILLER IS FROM THE START.
MIRANDA KNOWS THAT SHE IS INNOCENT AND SETS ABOUT TRYING TO FIND THE KILLER, SHE GETS SOME HELP FROM AN UNLIKELY SOURCE - CHASE TREMAIN, HER EX-LOVERS BROTHER. ALTHOUGH HE'S NOT CONVINCED THAT SHE IS NOT THE KILLER, SOON IT IS APPARENT THAT SOMEONE IS TRYING TO KILL HER - WHY?- THAT'S THE QUESTION.
IT SOON BECOMES APPARENT, THAT THERE ARE A GREAT DEAL OF PLAYERS INVOLVED AND THEY ALL HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE!
THIS IS A GOOD BOOK, WITH ENOUGH TO KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK.
on 2 February 2012
I have a copy of this so called new book sitting on my bookcase along with tess gerritsons other books. I have had it about 6 years and it was published long before that. This is one of her romances from earlier in her career and nowhere near the quality she writes now. I think it should be set as a re-release but it is definitely not a "NEW" book. The new book is due around Sept 4th
on 2 February 2012
Yet another re-issue disguised as a new book! I really like Tess's work but have been caught out before by books appearing under different titles or being re-issued and seeming to be new. It's got to the point now where I avoid buying her books until I'm absolutely and utterly sure it's totally new. Getting close to not bothering to pick her books up anymore and to keep a list in my bag of what I know she's written!
on 2 February 2012
Like others I was really excited to hear about the "new" book. I brought this book second hand about a month ago. It isn't as good as her latest books . Amazon should stop advertising these re releases as new books. Tess Gerristen isn't the only author they have done this too. Maybe if more of us complain they might do something. Though I doubt it. Just beware.!
on 4 June 2008
I wasn't sure I would like this one as I really enjoy Ms Gerritsen's medical thrillers Well I loved it It only took me three days to read it, as I just had to find out "who'd done it"
on 2 February 2012
I don't understand how Amazon can justify saying that this is a new book, when, as everyone else has also remarked, it simply isn't! The email I received was headed "Tess Gerritsen's New Book" - is there another interpretation of "New Book" which I'm missing? I've complained to Amazon, and received a standard email reply, saying that they're passing my comments to the appropriate department, but I'm not holding my breath. Surely this is contravening trading standards?