Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 29 January 2013
Definately a 'must read'. You will not be dessapointed with this book. Skillfully written,exciting plot right up till the end.
on 6 December 2014
Love it, couldn't put it down.
on 2 February 2010
Diane Chamberlain has been compared to Jodi Piccoult, and I can see why, as she writes about circumstances that can make you question your morals and beliefs, and has you rethinking what is actually right and wrong. However I would go as far to say that I enjoyed this author more. I found her writing compelling and consistently engaging. I never felt bored or bogged down in detail and felt incredibly moved by the whole book. This is one that will have you thinking long after you close the pages. My best read of the year so far, I can't wait to pick up Diane Chamberlains newest book, The Bay At Midnight.
on 10 March 2009
This book is one where you read it until it ends without stopping except for a cup of tea when youre getting dehydrated! The writing is excellent, keeping you gripped from chapter to chapter. It is a beautifully told story about a kidnapping gone wrong and the consequences which result in massive secets and lies. A highly recommended read, this book is a gem and the best book I have read in ages. The characters are so loveable and flawed which makes them so believable. I cant wait to read more of this authors books.
22 Comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2009
totally loved this book. it gripped me from the blurb at the back. I finished it in 2 days, that is my only fault. I wanted it to go on and on. so many gripping characters and twisting story lines. I did not see the outcome coming at all..... all i can say is please read it!! it's one of those can't put it down books.... you will not be disappointed!
from a literary point of view, perhaps it isn't the best written..... however a book like this needs to be seen for what it is.... an amazing story!! i totally loved it and will be telling anyone who listens to go find it!!!!
on 3 May 2017
Love this author
As a huge fan of Diane Chamberlain I always look forward to her books. This one was no exception and I finished it in the same day as I started it. The Lost Daughter is a very compelling and gripping tale that definitely pulled on my heartstrings and had me thinking long after I had turned the last page. Would definitely recommend.
on 13 May 2016
This is the first book I have read by Diane Chamberlain and I loved it. I couldn't put it down and when I wasn't reading it it was still on my mind! Finished it on my holiday and I was gripped the whole way through with interesting twists and turns. I'm now suck looking for which book by Diane I can read next! I wish this one never had to end! Great book!!
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2009
This was a wonderfully thought provoking book covering many topical issues. Beautifully written and believable, it fully deserves its good reveiews.

It's difficult to précis the story without giving too much away.
Cee Cee is just 12 when her mother dies and she is left in care without love. When she meets Tim Gleeson she falls head over heels in love. In the first chapter we are told that Tim Gleeson is on trial for his life so we know that he's not the great catch that she thinks he is but the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are gradually added as we read on.
At the end we are left mulling over the moral issues, which are never really clear cut. We wonder what we would have done in the same situation, and most of all, whether we would have admitted our part in it. It's a heart wrenching decision and affects so many people.

Brilliant, life-like characters, all very different from one another but melding together as a whole.
I shall definitely be passing this one on - and looking out the author's past work.

NB: The Lost Daughter and The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes are the same book by two different titles.
11 Comment| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2011
I downloaded this as something that looked interesting enough for a quid, and enjoyed it. It's a nice easy read, keeps the pages turning, and it was stupid o'clock in the morning by the time I finished it.

Good idea for a story, nicely paced (mostly) and the dialogue flowed. I liked the characters and was definitely rooting for CeeCee. I would, however, have liked to know a bit more about the workings of SCAPE as it seemed to be a device for explaining how things magically fell into place.

The ending was a somewhat convenient and a little bit far fetched, but I still really enjoyed reading this book and I'm glad I spent my quid. Like I said, it kept me awake reading into the night, so that's always a good sign.