Customer reviews

Girl Friday
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 2 May 2010
I'd pretty much given up on Jane Green after the absolutely terrible, dreadful, Beach House, but picked this up in my local supermarket dirt cheap and decided to give it a whirl. I've read all her books over the years, starting with Straight Talking (that fab leopard print cover!) but found that I've liked them less and less as they've gone on - is that about my life changing and not identfying with them any more, or is it just that she's writing less convincingly? I understand she now lives in the USA, which is reflected in the latter books, and I've really not enjoyed those much at all.

Anyway. I romped through this in a day - a very easy read. I quite liked Kit's character, but thought the rest were weak and poorly developed. The "twists" in the plot were easy to see coming - I found myself flicking towards the end to check if I was right almost as soon as Steve's character appeared - and the ending was schmaltzy, but I found it un-taxing and a pleasant enough read.

Like other reviewers (of the hardback) my feeling is that she's churning these books out (I think Marian Keyes, another formerly briliant author, went the same way, and Adele Parks is showing similar signs) and they're getting poorer as they go. However, provided we keep buying them - which we do - and she's making the money, then I suppose that will just keep happening! Maybe the chick-lit bubble's burst and we're looking for different things, while the writers haven't moved on?
33 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2017
very enjoyable book
on 27 September 2011
Jane Green (or publishers) seem to have got into the annoying habit of giving the same book a different name based on if its published in US or UK. This is annoying as I buy all her books and am now having to research each new name to check it isnt one I have read and hope that Amazon lists a blurb of some type to allow me to do this.

Arghhhhh!
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2017
Great book
on 27 July 2009
Where has she gone? The Jane Green who had us enthralled with her earlier novels, has dissappeared. I felt a little cheated and let down after the 'Beach House', as it was weak and implausable. But I had high hopes for this one being a return to form .............. sadly now dashed. If anything, 'Girl Friday' is worset than the 'Beach House' in my opinion.

If you look back over the themes of Jane Green's novels, it seems she has drawn inspiration from the path of her life, and this has worked well for her in the past. 'Girl Friday', is set in suburban New England (like 'The Beach House') where Jane herself now lives. Other than that, I think Jane is flailing for material. 'Girl Friday' is incoherent on many levels - plot is weak and confusing, characters are shallow and unrealistic, and her style has taken a very 'Mills and Boon' turn for the worst. Quote from p.186/7 - "Robert closes his eyes, every nerve on fire. He has forgotten it could be like this,and he picks her up,and carries her to the sofa, all thoughts forgotten, aware of nothing other than the woman in his arms." Hmmmn. I smell cheese.

I was confused by this book - and the blurb was misleading. Was this a book about observing Suburban American life? (A Desperate Houswives Lite)! Or was this a social commentary about the credit crunch and the fall of corporate America? Or was this an insight into the life of a divorced woman (as the blurb had me innitially believe)? Or was this a dark look into the secrets of families and relationships? For me - none of these things sadly. It could have been any of them, handled well and developed properly. Instead, its a nothing book. Just a mish mash of ideas and themes, none of which were explored or explained very well at all.

I fear Jane Greene has lost her way and is either under pressure from her publisher to churn out a book each year in time for the summer market, or worse still, has sold out and is now being ghost written. Either way, I hope that the Jane Green of old finds her way back to us next year.
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2011
This is a book that has already been written by Jane Green and given another name. I was going on holiday and bought two Jane Green books I had never read, according to the titles, so you can imagine my dissapointment when after reading the first paragraph I said i've read this book already its just been called somthing different.
Promises to keep and Dune Road are both rewrites of books she has written in the past - what a rip off!!
on 16 June 2011
Dune Road, brilliant story thoroughly enjoyed it but had i realised at the time of purchase that it also has another Name possibly the english version called Girl Friday which i had read previously, i would not have purchased it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 July 2009
Jane Green has been writing since 1997 when she released her first book which was 'Straight Talking'. She has since followed that up with the following books:-

Jemima J - 1998
The Other Woman - 2004
Life Swap - 2005
Second Chance - 2007
Beach House - 2008

This current book Girl Friday was published in 2009.

This book introduces us to Kit and her children Tory and Buckley living on their own after Kits divorce from her husband of 15 years Adam. Although divorced they still get on well and Kits life is full with her surrogate mother Edie, her friends Tracy and Charlie and her job as an assistant to the famous author Robert McClore. Kits life is going well until her long lost sister turns up as well as a new man in her life. Her life soon starts to unravel when she realises that the people in her life are holding dark secrets that start to come to light as the book goes on.

I want to talk briefly about her books in general. I have been reading Jane Green since I picked up a book of hers in a charity shop. Since then I have subsequently reading through her books in sequence. However when I hit Babyville (great read), everything after that seemed to just not hit the mark! Jane Green seems to have completely lost her knack with this book. The story was easy to read, however extremely predictable and to be honest towards the end a little rushed. It feels like she didn't really complete the story and there are no real gritty characters to attach yourself to. The story seems to ramble along with no real substance to it. I almost struggled to review this because the story really didn't have too much impact on me and certainly didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Felt very disappointed after reading this as I have enjoyed some of her earlier books and I am now not so sure that I will rush to pick up another Jane Green!
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2016
I read Beach house and like others thought Jane was losing her touch. This book confirms it, in my opinion. The writing was clunky and basic, the conversations trite and the characters one dimensional. Reminded me of a bad Danielle Steele book with an obvious outcome. The only interesting character was the elderly neighbour but didn't get to know enough about her. Lazy writing and average chick flick plot. I used to like Jane Greens previous stuff, funny and heart warming but this is poor,
on 4 June 2010
Ok the title of this review sounds bad, but it really is that bad.

Jane Green is probably a really good writter, well she did get published, but her writting style keeps changing. I'm not sure whether she's third person narrating or not half the time.

I also think the back cover is wrong. It only mentions Kit and Tracy, giving the reader the impression that its a book about the friendship of these two women, but then the narration also follows two other main characters, and many more extra characters. It can sometimes get quite confussing.

I just couldnt get into the story. It was very slow and I just gave up on it. Other readers may enjoy it but I think I'll leave Jane Green to others.