Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.68

on 22 April 2017
Love Mr Bennett, he is without a doubt one of the greatest modern writers the UK (and the world for that matter) has in its midst. I found this collection a bit of a curate's egg. In parts fabulous and everything you hoped it would be, full of wit and self deprecation and in others dull as ditchwater. Not finished it yet which is not like me and probably won't. For hardened fans only!
on 28 April 2016
I first read this book when it was first published.
Always loved his style which is modest and unassuming on the surface but what depth below, the book is now well known for "The lady in the van" but it's all a perfect gem.
My daughter who was doing an English degree thought his essay on Russell Harty was one of the best pice of writing written in the last Century.
If Bennets persona is phoney I don't care he can in my opinion do little little wrong.
Any one reading this book should also read "Untold Stories" possibly a look at the real Bennet.
on 18 April 2017
Ala Bennett is always very readable
on 27 April 2017
Alan Bennett rarely disappoints and he doesn't disappoint here - I first read this book a few years ago and would happily read it again ! I loved the diary style of the book and would definitely recommend it .
on 4 May 2017
Recommended for anyone who is interested in the eccentricities of human nature along with the odd famous name thrown in.
on 9 May 2016
Good Read. Enjoyable.
on 18 July 2017
You couldn't make it up
on 19 July 2017
Excellent read
on 8 December 2005
I have returned to this book several times. I have laughed till I cried at the hilarious observations and choked up at the most poignantly sad passages, both aspects of Bennett's writing especially evident in 'The Lady in the Van' reproduced in its entirety in this collection. A gem of a book from a rare gem of a man.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2010
Much as 'Untold Stories' which is the second volume, read arse about face by myself, mixes diary and prose, so too does this volume. Again it is for my taste a bit unweildy and gives the impression of having been padded out to justify it's publishing. Having said this Faber and Faber (the publisher) come in for some stick from Mr Bennett, so this observation could be wholly accurate. That said in any format Mr Bennett's works are a joy to read; personally I would have edited the non sequential diaries of 'Writing Home' and 'Untold Stories' into one volume, but of course, these books are not warts and all exposes, and Alan Bennett only treats us to the sanitised diary entries which he feels comfortable to share.

If you are a fan of Alan Bennett's wry observations and enjoy reading works which make you repeatedly smile, and in my case agree with, then this book is for you.