on 29 March 2010
Like you, I was probably sceptical about whether this cut-price item could do the job, especially when compared to it's higher-priced cousins from the Canon and Nikon worlds.

I needn't have been concerned!

The wireless transmitter and receiver performed flawlessly, every time, although it did begin to falter occasionally after a 20-foot-plus distance. Understandable, I suppose, as none of them work flawlessly up to the (maximum) distance stated, in my experience.
But for small to medium distances, this combination is very well worth the money! Quick response, and I had no trouble with frequencies - although you can change the frequency range to one of 4 possibles, just in case your neigbour's remote controlled garage door is causing interference!

Lightweight and reliable, I'd recommend these to anyone.
Now ... if only I could work out how to set flash power properly when firing remotely, I'd be laughing! :o)
on 29 December 2010
This is a great way to set your flashguns off, all at the same time. I have a Canon 500D and I bought this to use on my very own set up.
Work out the exposure, set the camera in manual, the speed, set flash power, focus and shoot.
Again I bought this item from BV electronics as I did with the flashguns and they work very well together ( see my other review on these flashguns ).
I would recommend these triggers from BV electronics to go with their range of flash units.
on 24 June 2010
So you know enough that you want to get the flash off camera but you're just starting out and you only have one decent flash unit (that Elinchrom or Profoto system is just a tad out of reach for the mo), what are your options? Well it comes down to two: either a flimsy sync cable trailing everywhere acting like a treacherous trip wire or an expensive add on transmitter. Or, you could try this as a cheap and cheerful alternative okay you won't get E-TTL but trust me you'll live. It's not pretty to look at the receiver is shoe mounted and is a bit on the bulky side which means you'll miss the center of an umbrella even more so, (Some say this will affect the quality of the light hitting your subject), but then again going by the design of most flash/umbrella brackets and small flash units you're going to do this anyway.

When starting out the most important thing is to take pictures and if this encourages you to do so then job done.
22 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2011
Photography is a sport that usually calls for the big names... Canon, Tokina, Manfrotto, Giottos, etc. So naturally, most people would be scared off by a device such as this one, which is basically non-branded. I would leave those concerns at the door though. The product works very well and I have not noticed any misfires so far. Just be sure to set your shutter speed a little bit below the sync speed (often 1/200th or 1/250th) just to completely avoid any strobing effects. I have shot at 1/160th and it has worked just fine. The flash will only work in manual, but this is not a problem.

As far as I can make out, the receiever can also act as a remote shutter release cable - I assume you plug the 2.5mm jack into the side of the camera, and you can use the 'fire' button on top of the trigger to fire the flash and the camera at the same time.

I won't lie, it is not a PocketWizard, but for this price, it's hard to miss. Even if it does break (and I sense a strong life expectancy from it anyway) then it's not very expensive and you won't miss it. I just had to buy something urgently to do some Speedlite work. I would reccomend this as a basic set up for anyone starting their own home-studio or wants to work with flashes. And once you do get it, save up for something like a PocketWizard, and buy that whenever this product fails or you find you need more functionality. It's definately a good starter kit.
on 23 March 2010
They work fine, but i-ttl and fp and other fancy stuff on new flashes doesn't work...but for manual control they are really great. The only misfortune for me was that there was just one sync cable....two receivers but only one cable... :(
on 5 August 2010
I have just received this item. It works very well and at a respectable distance. I have tested it up to 15 metres out-of-sight indoors and up to 5 metres outdoors, it fired every time.

I am using it with a Canon 5D Mk II and two Sigma (EF-530 DG and older 500) flashguns. I set both Sigmas to slave flash, wireless (not ETTL) manual and channel 0. The Sigma flashgun LCD will show "wireless connect symbol alone, M, Zoom, C0, SL" else it does not fire. Adjust the power ratio from 1/1 to 1/128 and set zoom as required.

The transmitter has no off switch so I assume it powers down automatically. The receivers require 2 AAA batteries each.

It came with instructions in Chinese but they were not needed. It is not likely to be as robust as a Pocket Wizard but for me it does the same job and looks reasonably well made for the price. I am unlikely to use it that often so am very happy with this trigger.
on 29 February 2012
I was a bit confused as to which type of wireless triggers i should buy. i did some research and went for these ones which are very cheap. it was not a risk, i knew from my research, that these triggers would deliver.
They delivered as at when expected. The are easy to assemble and set up. I am well impressed with the way it performs. The only thing I haven`t checked is the operating distance. great equipment at a decent price.
on 20 August 2011
I bought these unbranded PT-04 flash triggers to have other options to the camera pop up flash or my Nikon SB400.
With a lot of these reviews I am often left wondering what equipment the product is being used with. To be clear at the start, my kit comprises of a Nikon D3100, 18-55 VR Kit lens, Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8 prime, Nikon AF-S DX 55-200 VR, Tamron 70-300 non stabilised zoom, Nikon SB400 Flash and YongNuo YN-460ii manual flash.
The triggers are much bigger than the images suggest and although they are at the lower end of the price range for triggers, they feel quite robust. The shoe is plastic, with a 1/4" thread for attaching to a light stand or tripod. There is an on/off switch, channel selector and led to confirm the unit is receiving a signal from the transmitter. Each trigger takes 2 x AAA batteries however the transmitter unit must contain a button type battery as there is no on/off switch or visible battery compartment. I can only assume that when this battery goes you have to take the unit apart. There being a small philips screw on the underside of the case. The transmitter fits on the camera hot shoe (another plastic shoe) and fires faultlessly on each shutter press. There is a test button on the transmitter for you to check their operation. I left the channel selectors at the delivered position and they both worked without any problem.
The triggers will not work with the Nikon SB400 flash.(To be fair, they do not claim to work with this flash)
The triggers work exceptionally well with the YN-460ii. I have not tested the maximum operating distance but can confirm that they work well at 25-30 feet, which I believe will be more than adequate for most purposes.
In summary; they are better than expected for the money, have never failed me yet, and if you are looking for something cheaper than a branded trigger or are just confused by the numerous different triggers out there, I would have no hesitation in suggesting these as an excellent cost effective option. ( I can also recommend the YN 460ii flash, which for the money is a great bit of kit)
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2011
I use these with my Canon 5D MKII and two 580EX and they work like a treat. There is no worry the flash will fall off since the securing method is very good. Highly recommended.
on 28 September 2010
I wasn't too sure about this but thought, at that price, it's worth the risk. Really glad I did. Sure, it is a bit plasticky and a little rough around the edges, but it allows me to have a really good multi flash set up with my Nikon D300 and SB600 + (old) SB28 flashes. It just works. I use it on manual to get the right exposure, but that's fine for digital. A few test shots to get the right exposure settings and then work from there.

The range is pretty good too - I couldn't get far enough away for it to stop working (indoors).

The instructions are in Chinese, but it really doesn't take much working out. There's an on/off swicth, a channel switch and you plug it into your camera in the usual way. That's it. You'll need some AAA batteries too.

I'd definitely go for the multi reciever version - which someone else recommended - much more flexible than just the one. Obviously, you need two flash guns.

I haven't given it 5 stars since I haven't had it long enough to know if it lasts but assuming it does - then it will get 5 stars.