on 16 October 2011
This is my first router, although before purchasing a router of my own I borrowed from friends and tried different models.

I chosed this router because I wanted something for a saltuary DIY use, with a solid body, base plate and guides, and the possibility to mount 1/2 shank bits. Last but not least this router have the impressive power of 1500W.

I wasn't expecting too much from a low-cost Chinese router, but I was positively surprised by many things.

Ok, once I got the package, I found my first pleasant surprise. Since I am from Italy I thought I had to change the plug, but no, the mains plug on the cable is the european/german standard schuko, and on it it's fitted a standard fused UK square plug adapter. So all I had to do was to remove the adapter (just 1 screw to remove) and that's it, the plug becomes european-ised.

Beside the router itself, in the box there is a sturdy parallel guide with two rods and a roller guide, a circle guide, a template guide, five collets (1/2, 1/4, 6,8,12 mm) plus the chuck spanner, spare carbons for the motor, a dust extraction port and a measurement bar.

The feeling of the handles is good, the commands looks all in the right place. The plunge up-down movement is quite difficult, since the spring inside the vertical guides are too strong and to push it down you really have to push with energy. However, seems it's not so uncommon, since I found the same behavior on other routers, like the Bosch pof 1400 (while the pof 1200 have a very smooth and delicate movement, weirdness of life...).

On the body there is a 7 levels speed knob, a professional like depth gauge (perhaps a bit exaggerated on a DIY level router), a spindle lock button and a depth stop lock.

At the first start I noticed the router have a soft start function, it prevent the router to yank at startup.

I did some trials with the router handheld, using the guides, and I managed to have some nice work done. The speed control really make the difference for working different wood type.

Since I couldn't really stand the hard plunge movement, I replaced the hard springs with two new ones that I got in a local hardware store. Now the movement is quite smooth and satisfying.

Now I'm using the router on a router table and, so far, it's working great.

In brief, I think this is a good DIY tool. I would recommend this router to beginners not willing to spend too much money but at the same time wanting a sturdy and powerful first router.
77 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2014
We all know what we're getting when we buy Silverline, a cheaply manufactured product and this router is no exception. I only want it to cut two worktop joints and if it lasts any longer for other jobs it will be a bonus, it will have paid for itself with the cutting of two joints as the going rate I was quoted by a worktop supplier was £45 per joint.

However, as usual with Silverline tools I discovered this one needed a bit of fettling to bring it up to standard, the first job is to check the flatness of the base, try it with the plastic base plate in situ, place it on a known flat surface and see if it rocks, if so remove the base plate and try it again on the cast alloy. Like lapping in a cylinder head, tape a full sheet of abrasive to said flat surface and rub in a figure of 8 pattern.

I don't know if word has got through to Silverline's manufacturers in China or wherever they are but mine arrived with a 30mm guide! This too will need a bit of fettling to get it to sit flush with the base but as I'm probably going to make a new base plate out of some rigid sheet polypropylene I have I'll deal with that then.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone who purchases one of these machines is to give each of the handles a sharp tug outwards, both of mine had no screws in them! Fortunately I have, lots, M5 x 20mm cheese head ideal but csk will do. I dread to think what might happen if one or both handles had parted company with the body during operation.......
As someone else mentioned earlier, don't tighten the base screws too much, mine is showing stress cracks at each hole fresh from the factory! I also advise going over all visible screws carefully just in case like me you find one or two only just over finger tight.

Haven't used it in anger yet but fired it up a few times and it sounds the dogs proverbials, love the soft start, reminds me of a big Elu I once had the use of........

Later.
Came to set it up to use this morning, fitted the 30mm guide, the vac connector, tightened all base screws carefully, took steel rule to check base flatness and found the 30mm guide too thick thereby causing the base to bow a long way. I mentioned the need to fettle it so as to keep the base nice and flat but feel the need to mention it again for those who have said they couldn't cut an accurate worktop joint, there's no way anyone could cut anything accurately with a wobbly router especially with a long worktop cutter fitted!
on 4 February 2014
I wanted to buy a simple router to cut an accurate mitre of 44mm thick kitchen worktops with an appropriate jig (which I bought elsewhere).
Having read the minimum requirements of a router to do this job, I began looking for a half inch model as these were deemed best suited to cut worktops as the quarter inch ones apparently deflect the cutting tool to easily under load, resulting in a poor and innacurate cut. The power of 1500 Watts is sufficient for the job I needed it to do, but any less and it would have struggled.
I was unable to afford a higher quality branded router as these can cost several hundred pounds and took a punt on the Silverline model. After all, I never intended the tool to be for professional use, rather occasional use instead, which it seems suited to.
The first one supplied by Amazon came with a broken spindle lock which initially put me off it but I perservered and Amazon immediately supplied another (great customer service)
The second one was in A1 condition and as described. It comes with a variety of chucks to fit different sized bits which is a bonus and I also bought some good quality router bits (Tungsten Carbide versions) specifically for cutting worktops. Don't scrimp on cheap ones as they will not last a single cut, let alone multiple ones needed to form the joint and the recesses for the bolts to pull it all together.
The router has a spindle lock to enable easy bit fitting and a slow start function to prevent 'snatch' on cutting, which works very well.
The 30mm guide bush supplied is far too shallow in depth to be of much use in following the jig accurately and I bought an Amazon recommended bush made by trend which does not actually fit this router without some modification, but its depth of 10mm gives far greater accuracy in following the jig and one I would highly recommend it.
The actual quality of this router is poor in places, the castings are very roughly made and some of the plastics used are very brittle and easy to break (such as the spindle lock) but if care is taken and for the money paid, I can see no real arguement for not buying it.
Profesionals would avoid this like the plague, but for DIY careful use, I have no hesitation in recommending it.
on 4 November 2011
My one was damaged on arrival, so I had to return it for a refund.

Also discovered that none of the 2 supplied guide bushes are the right size for the Silverline worktop jig (requires 30mm). Unbelievably, Silverline do not sell any accessory that make their router work with their jig - I contacted them and they confirmed this.

However, I did notice that this router lookes remarkably similar to the more expensive 1500W router made by SIP, and discovered that there IS a 30mm guide available for the SIP version (google for part number SIP64484).

Took a punt and ordered the above part (£18 from SIP) plus the Silverline router again from Amazon. I can confirm that they DO work together.

Other than this unwanted expense/hassle the router does seem like pretty good value for money. Just a shame they don't supply the right sized guide as standard.
on 20 May 2011
I chose this router purely because it was cheap and had a 1/2" collet. I needed a 1/2" collet for a specific DIY job that my normal 1/4" Bosch Router couldn't handle due to it's plunge depth limitations and the length of most 1/4" bits. I'm happy to say that the Silverline 1/2" router was capable of doing the job and the plunge stops the collet a few mm short of the base, which is good.

Obviously this is by no means a professional router and is meant for the DIY'er market and you basically get what you pay for here. Yes, it is a router, and yes, it has a half inch collet, but that's about it.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it comes with 4 spare collets of different sizes, and two differnt sized bushings. Otherwise it comes with a parallel guide, compass guide, spanner, etc. The parallel guide has one of the screws bent straight out of the box which clamp onto the guide bars, I think this was due to either the screw or the screw hole not being machined properly. Either way it is unusable without a replacement. Good job I have no use for the parallel guide right now and maybe it was just my unit that has this problem.

The router itself seems solid enough but I already put a crack in the base plate when tightening the bolts to hold the bushing on. The base its made of very cheap brittle plastic. On the plus side the router has a welcome soft start feature which is not advertised, and a variable speed ranging from a sensible 1 to an insanely fast 7. The depth gauge seems really over engineered for such a cheap router. They'd have been be better off with a metal bar and plastic pointer setup like Bosch use, as it least then you can reset your depth to zero and measure the depth of the cut from there.

So in conclusions, it's cheap, basic, and does what it says on the tin, but not much else. I would also worry about safety and reliability in general as it doesn't have the quality of build of more expensive routers. If you want a decent router that you can use on a daily basis and be safe, then you need to pay a bit more.
on 5 April 2015
I bought this router and the base plate is nowhere near square to the plunger, so if you cut a worktop with it holding it flat, the angle of the cut is about 15 degrees out of perpendicular. It is so badly put together that they don't even have the most basic quality control. I tried to fit shims between the plastic base plate and the cast alloy plate to get it square again but honestly you might as well just throw £50 away rather than even contemplate this thing. Since the purpose of a router is to get clean, square cuts it is absolutely useless!
on 26 August 2014
I used to be a professional but am now long retired. This router seems quite powerful and is initially well up to the job. It is however let down by cheap plastic adjusting parts. I hardly used it before finding that the fine depth adjustment thread become useless, fortunately the main adjustment facility accommodates. The dust extraction bag is literally worthless and I feel that this item is only worth the money if like me, you are a very light and occasional user. Since I've only used it for a few hours so far, I don't feel qualified to make any further remarks.
on 21 November 2014
Cheaper that some routers that cost double the price. Used to mitre cut my new kitchen work tops.
I used some fairly cheap cutters and they where good for the job but did start to lose there cutting edge
after 5 runs so I would advise paying the extra for some quality more expensive cutters if you want to
mitre more than a couple of tops.
on 7 December 2011
I bought this as I specifically wanted a 1/2" capacity router for doing heavier jobs like kitchen worktops.
Its not a professional quality machine intended for day in, day out use but is perfectly adequate for occasional jobs. It is comfortable to hold, easy to adjust and generally feels well balanced.

The soft start function is nice, although since you never start with the cutter in contact with the work anyway it isn't really essential. Maybe it just puts less strain on the high revving motor.

The base plate has a plastic piece that fits with 4 screws, giving a smooth and non- scratching sole plate. It looks pretty flimsy and I can see that piece cracking before too long. Especially as it has to be removed each time you want to change the guide bush plate. It needs to be supplied with a spare, but it won't be too hard to make one whilst I can use the supplied one as a pattern.

It comes with two guide bushes neither of which is 30mm - the commonest size for use with kitchen worktop jigs. I used the smaller one which measures at 21mm, giving a 4mm offset with a 1/2" (12.7mm) cutter. But there were two significant problems. The lip of the bush is very short, extending barely 2mm below the face plate. It takes a good deal of care and concentration to prevent the guide bush riding up over the edge of a template, especially if the template has slight chamfers on the edges, as mine does.

The second problem is that the guide bush is poorly stamped out and when fitted it isn't exactly concentric with the cutter so that the offset distance varies as you turn the machine to follow your template. I eventually corrected mine by enlarging the fitting holes with a file to allow for adjustment, but only after puzzling for a while about some erratic cuts made against a straight edge!

Despite these faults, it is a pretty good machine for the money and I certainly don't regret buying it!
on 16 May 2012
The Silverline range is made in China. On the strength of a Silverline biscuit cutter that has given me good service and the attractive price, I bought the 1/2" router for use when cutting raised panel doors. As the Chinese tend to copy features of US, UK, and German models this one has all the bells and whistles you'd expect paying double the price. Its 1500W motor makes the chips fly and the variable electronic speed keeps the revs down where they should be. A good buy. I'm pleased. It comes boxed with accessories.