on 3 May 2011
this product took nearly three weeks to arrive .on arrival it was unpacked and plugged into the mains only to find that the grinding wheels were turning the wrong way .ie up and not down and was very dangerous. having waited so long for the grinder to arrive and being an engineer i decided to investigate and found that the whole motor had been fitted upside down and should have been found by quality control.the unit was dismantled and the motor was turned and is now running ok.
but what dose worry me is if this unit had been bought by somebody that has little or no engineering experience this unit was very dangerous and i hope that this review is printed and not deleted by the powers that be ...mal
11 comment| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2012
Have looked through all the reviews for this product.Reason for this is we recieved this item couple of weeks ago.my husband has used it 3 maybe 4 times to sharpen up some small chisels.
Today he called me from his shed ,telling me that the item has overheated,really hot to touch and he placed it in our garden for saftey.
very disappointed as have bought several items of this make(silverline).
Felt it very important to leave message as its obviously a fault in the item and could be very dangerous if this was used then left plugged in unatttended.
Obviously the motor has burnt out....Hopefully we were just unfortunate and no others has this happen to them.
66 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2011
A nice value for money product.Well balanced with no vibration and quiet runnung, comes with medium wheel for sharpening chizels etc. and a fine one that is useful for keeping kitchen knifes sharp.Good for light DIY work.
on 11 May 2011
Its cheap, looks good and works.

The rougher stone grinds the metal down quickly and the finer stone finishes the job.

It is not powerful and you do notice it slowing down under load.

The instructions for installing the attachments could have been clearer.

Very good for a small workshop.
on 7 January 2015
First of all, this is very cheap for what you get and considering its weight the free delivery is a further bonus.

Of course, at this price corners have to be cut and the most obvious cut is in the motor size. It's patently underpowered and over rated, getting far too hot to touch after 20 minutes. The manufacturer gets round this by quoting a duty cycle of 30 minutes on followed by 30 minutes off. In my opinion, it should be more like 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off. There is a slight imbalance when running but, not enough to worry about. I suppose that is pot luck depending on the stones fitted.

Okay, it's not brilliant but, at this price, who cares. It does what it says well enough. I use it primarily for drill and screwdriver sharpening because they only need light pressure. If you want to grind car parts or reduce welding errors and don't want the motor to slow down, spend five times as much and buy something with more 'oomph'.

If, like me, you have never owned a bench grinder before, it's almost worth buying this one just to see how you get on with it. You may well find this adequately suits your needs.
on 21 December 2015
This is my first bench grinder and that is because I never really knew where I could fix it as space is at a premium with me. The answer was really very simple, after a little thought, I drilled 4 holes in the top planks of my Black and Decker Workmate so that it would be firmly anchored when in use. At other times it fits into a corner of my work shop area separated from the workmate. Now I have the best of both worlds with a very useful machine that can be ready to use in 3 minutes. Yes I do always bolt it down for use even though there is no vibration from its smooth running.
on 15 October 2013
As the title says. Big mistake. OK you get what you pay for and it is cheap - but worse than useless. I wanted this for polishing and buffing, not heavy grinding. On arrival I replaced the two wheels. One sisal buffing wheel and one felt polishing wheel. Both could be stopped with the absolute minimum pressure. I've seen more torque in a Dremel type tool and dread to think what would happen if I tried to use it as a grinder.
on 7 February 2012
The grinding wheels work fine if you're sharpening a blade or a drill bit. However, I put the Silverline wire brush wheel on it to use it to clean up metal prior to welding. If I apply more than very light pressure on the work, it's sufficient to stop the grinder from turning. No comparison at all to the power of, say, an angle grinder.
on 31 August 2015
Some people say "You get what you pay for", this is simply not the case with this product. I have used this loads of times for various things, and it has never let me down. A great product with a course, and fine grinding stone. well worth thinking about if your looking for a bench grinder.
on 28 July 2014
The body seems rugged enough. The motor is Ok, though there isn't a whole load of torque, so you can't get in there and welly it, you need to work with what it can do and give it a moment every now and then to get back up to full speed. Slightly annoyingly, on my one, there's a very slight left to right wobble (very slight) on the coarse wheel. I'm sure it's the disc, so a replacement will probably sort that out.
For the little bits and pieces I occasionally need to grind It's perfectly adequate for the money I paid.