on 19 March 2010
I really like this DVD. I have built up a small collection of yoga DVDs but this has to be one of my favourites. For a start it is the only one that really makes me sweat: sometimes, coming from a martial arts background I still need that. The sweating refers to the "fire" workout that lasts for about 30 minutes or so. The beauty of the DVD is the Matrix set up that allows you to mix and match, i.e. combining a challenging (sweaty)workout with more relaxing movements. You can programme yourself a "class" from 5-10 mins to 1-2 hours and then have the satisfaction of seeing it through from warm up to shavasana chill out. I intend to purchase some more of her DVDs soon and really enjoy both her mastery and exposition of classical yoga postures as well as her graceful invitation to dance through the movements. This prevents rigidity and encourages creativity and greater body awareness. Shiva Rea may well help you to personalise your yoga practice.
27 people found this helpful
on 17 April 2011
Then this is a great practice. It still might not be familiar because Shiva Rea really has her own style, quite different from other hatha yoga styles, with a lot of oscillations (she likes that word) and fluid movements involving, for example, undulating the spine whilst in downward dog or in cobra. This is very much Shiva's style and probably not something you would come across in a class, hence the confusion people seem to have with the movements, where they feel there is a lack of clear instructions, with phrases like `open the the back of your heart' not meaning too much.

I haven't seen any of her beginner series, but her Intermediate practices really are Intermediate, this one less so than some of her others, in terms of difficulty, but her instructions (to my mind anyway) are aimed at experiencing the pose, not understanding the fundamentals of the pose. That knowledge is assumed, so you are not going to find alignment pointers and lots of talk about modifications. As someone who has done a lot of yoga in a lot of different styles, I like that because I can just sink into the practice, but obviously that isn't going to be easy if you're not familiar with poses and have to have to keep watching the screen to make sure she's not in plank pose while you're still in downward dog, which has happened to me before!

So, if an accompaniment to class or a general home practice yoga dvd is what you're after, this may not be ideal. Instead, I would recommend looking at something more like 'Total Yoga' with Tracey Rich and Ganga White or one of Rodney Yee's practices. I don't generally like fitness instructor yoga dvd's and often find they miss the essence of yoga, but Karen Voight's 'Yoga Power' is also excellent, with precise instruction. Try these, and then move on to Shiva. If however, you are familiar with yoga and want to try something that is very different from a lot of what is out there, the Shiva Rea is great and makes a really nice change to more linear styles like Astanga. It's another well produced dvd with great music (I really like her dvd's for that), Shiva's soothing voice and a lot of variety. If only there were more like it!
10 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2016
I like this yoga dvd as it has all sorts of options to tailor your workout to suit you. She doesn't necessarily explain things in detail so if you're a beginner it may take a few goes to get it, but if you've been doing yoga for a while you'll soon get into the swing of it. Some of it is hard, some gentle and some spiritual. Something for everyone.
on 28 January 2013
This DVD is amazing. It's the first I've ever purchased from Shiva Rea, and I will be purchasing more!

I started my yoga journey with Ashtanga about three years ago but have since moved on to Vinyasa. This workout is for the more seasoned yogi and would not suit complete beginners. It mixes meditations with tougher practices, incorporating arm balances, back bends and core work.

Unlike other yoga workouts I've done, I have never ever got bored during it or wanted it to end. Even a thirty minute practice is too short and I prefer to do a good hour to get a decent work out.

Highly recommended. Shiva's instructions are very clear and concise and her voice is very soothing.
on 28 May 2013
As a keen yogi with over ten years of practise of mainly hatha and some Ashtanga yoga I thought I would give this a go, as it's easy to fit in small workouts with the choice of 8 20 minute sections. It can also be made into longer workouts which allows mix and match of these various sessions along with a warm up, abs and core if required. The DVD is great for those with a great deal of experience in the various asana's, but at no stage in this DVD does it say what level this workout is suited to. I would suggest advanced, as a novice may be completely put off by Shiva Rea's contortion poses! I am sure there are some people out there that could manage some of the more advanced asana's, but sadly Shiva does not take the time to explain options, very rarely mentions that you should only go to your 'edge' . This is the point at which you start to feel discomfort. No pain need be involved, as yogi's practise involves ahimsa. The action of being kind to oneself! a downward dog pose for example is very common, and unless the pose is explained properly then it won't be doing the stretching job that it is meant to do, and may actually cause injury! Over the years I have seen this pose look from anything like plank to a forward bend!
Don't get me wrong, experienced practitioners looking for a challenge may enjoy this workout, but I would advise watching it through before trying it as you may get into all sorts of knots in some of the sessions!
on 29 March 2010
This DVD is excellent. However it is not for beginners. If you are a beginner you would be better with Leah Bracknell Yoga & You which is a good basic introduction.
I feel the best feature of this DVD is the matrix which allows you to take sections & put them together to make a routine that is personalised & perfect for you & your needs on any given day. It also means you can vary how long you pracice for very easily. Some of the sections are just 5 minutes long, others 20 & by mixing & matching you can build these different blocks up. There are also pre-set routines, which I've yet to try. There are just so many variations it is incredible. I LOVE this DVD. Thank you Shiva.
on 21 August 2016
Love this Shiva Rea DVD.
I prefer to follow each routine separately, but it was very easy to build up the routines together to create a routine of the length that you want to follow.
One person found this helpful
on 29 March 2012
I bought this DVD to expand my practice a little - I have been doing the excellent Rodney Yee AM yoga every morning and thought this may add a bit of variety into my routine.

So far - it's ok but definately not really yoga in the way I've been used to but if I end up resembling Shiva and can radiate her calmness then I'm willing to stick with it; after all different doesn't always mean bad.

I don't get the same yoga buzz as I do with Rodney, however I did feel quite cool in an MTV street dancer kind of way instead of my usual clunkiness.

The one thing that is very very annoying is that her cues often don't match what she is actually doing so you have to keep one eye on the TV ( not easy in standing splits).

The matrix is good but the names of the sctions are very vague ... fire-water, air etc what does that actually mean?

At £6.99 is was a bit of a bargain so I don't feel too cheated but I can't see me splashing out over £20 to get her highly recommended yoga shakti dvd. I also can't see me doing it in the morning .. far too complicated but it might become my PM yoga fix.
One person found this helpful
on 19 April 2013
While this seemed like a lovely DVD, virtually all the poses & movements including the more advanced ones were performed too quickly & without much explanation. As a yoga novice I simply couldn't keep up. I've heard only good things about the instructor so can only guess that anyone with a good knowledge of yoga will find the DVD excellent.
on 9 November 2010
This is a very comprehensive yoga vinyasa practice. There are a lot to choose from and with the yoga matrix you can make your own combinations and lengths from short 10 - 20 min up to 60 - 90 min yoga practices. The different sequences are easy and relaxing or active and challenging. There are some poses that are out of many beginners / intermediate level yogis' reach but they offer a good challenge.

This DVD is not for beginners as most of the sequences are quite fast pace and if you don't know the poses and vinyasas you are going to have trouble following. I am at an intermediate level and after doing some of the sequences a few times I am starting to get the hang of it and remember the poses so I don't have to look at the screen every 2 min.

I mostly do a 55min practice with the earth + fire&water + core/abs + forward bends sequences or for a more challenging practice I do the earth + fire + fire&water (or chakra vinyasa) + forward bends.

I think this is a good addition to any at home yoga practice DVD collection and it gives good options to create your own personalized practice depending on your energy level and mood.