Last year I bought a Cliptec USB/SD hub for my PC laptop, and it worked perfectly, but three days ago it refused to load up - and rather than scrape about wasting hours trying to faultfind it, I took the plunge and ordered this little black box.
The hub is about 2.5 x 1.5 inches small, and you can see exactly what you get, socket wise, from the photo above.
It's true what the other reviewers have said, the lead is extremely short - about an inch long - but I need it for a static laptop, and it fits the bill perfectly.
The USB sockets fit snugly, unlike other hubs I've had in the past that were extremely flakey, with any movement leading to a dataloss, and there is ample space between the sockets for your connector to fit without crowding themselves. A quick trial with an SD card of images proved that side of the hub, and for a USB 2.0 it's fast enough transfer wise.

Just a small word of warning, predominantly I'm a Mac user (non Intel) and use my old steam driven PC laptop to access applications that are Windows only - so I'm used to immediate plug and play.
When I first plugged in the hub to my pc.... it plugged... but didn't play.

I spent ten minutes changing connections to no avail and had resigned myself to a refund when up popped all the kit I had plugged in, working perfectly, and everything was tickety boo.

I now realise that the Transcend must spend a bit of time installing it's own drivers onto the pc (it was instantaneous on my Mac), and this took a few minutes on my machine - it will possibly be only a few seconds on a really modern laptop, but this is just a heads up, don't worry if it doesn't seem to work immediately, it's just going about it's business installing what it needs to work correctly.
The Transcend works perfectly on both my PC (Win7) and Mac (OSX 10.5.8) and even though I paid more for this hub than my last one, it's far more substantial, with a better build quality.
All in all I'm happy with the purchase, and Amazon's super 1 day turnaround of the order.
Highly Recommended.
Hope this helped.
on 28 July 2013
Lovely and small (slim) for carrying in my laptop bag. Works with both my laptop and my tablet. The built-in USB cable is useful (don't have to carry a separate one); it's short but long enough that the reader doesn't interfere with the power cable alongside.

The one thing that could be better is if it supported USB3 as I have a USB3 port but it's not a problem for me that it's USB2. It seems pretty quick at transferring larger amounts of data anyway.
on 14 September 2013
The attached USB cable is very short, but that is fine for a laptop (when traveling). The USB sockets are very tight and the memory card slots a bit fiddly, especially the microSDHC slot (I nearly returned this thinking it wasn't working). Despite having three memory card slots you can only use one at a time.

Comes in the sort of packaging that you need scissors to get in to.

My search for a good portable card reader continues.
on 13 February 2012
I use this adapter for my microSD cards. But it also works well as a USB hub. Stores very neatly by having a cavity for the lead.
on 18 January 2012
A nice neat portable USB hub and card reader. However it only supports one memory card at a time. It does not support external USB disk drives, presumably because there is not enough power; however it appears to be able to recharge a mobile phone and a kindle at the same time through the two USB ports.
on 28 December 2012
The item arrived on time and in good working order. We have connected it to our laptop and it works perfectly. I may need to buy a second in the near future and would use the same company.
on 14 June 2013
The usb wire could have been a little bit more longer. Although it has 2 USB ports next to each other, unless you have a slim pen drive, you cannot connect two together at the same time.
on 31 August 2015
I needed this for my desktop computer, I was not worried about the short lead. It works great. I attached it with some double sided tape to the top of my PC, Perfect solution.
on 19 October 2013
Works fine. Although would have liked a longer wire to usb port on iMac - dangles in mid air. Would be ideal for mac laptop.
on 16 April 2014
Easy to use and well built product, I would recommend this to my friends.
small but mighty gadget. thank you