on 19 December 2009
I've always liked Harry Connick Jr's singing, and always resented the accusation that he was aping Frank Sinatra. He is ten times the musician that Sinatra was, even if his voice is not so instantly memorable. He proves it on this album by taking songs that have been done to death (I groaned when I saw the track list) and producing new and innovative takes on all of them. Yet you never feel like an old favourite has been destroyed in the process. One interesting moment is hearing Connick sing Mona Lisa (a song that Sinatra turned down). He sounds warmer in voice as he is getting older, and it's interesting to speculate whether Sinatra would have done it any better than the beautiful version that Connick turns in.

Another surprise is the presence of Carla Bruni, who has a sweet voice that reminds me of Astrud Gilberto, on the Beatles track "And I Love Her". It's typical of the album, taken at a slow and relaxed pace, with a little bit of a funky feel to the rhythm.

All in all, if you listen to it carefully, there is layer upon layer of musical sophistication to enjoy. Yet it's also perfectly pleasant to listen to it late at night, curled up on the sofa with a glass of wine. It's perfect chilling out music in that way. My only gripe is that there's no "wow" moment, but then Connick has always been above that.
on 7 May 2017
I've always loved Harry Connick's voice but found his interpretations of standards too jazzy for my taste. However, on this album he seems to hold back on the excesses of his jazzy side and by doing so allows you to appreciate his silky voice more. I firmly believe if he had recorded more albums like this he would have been as popular in the UK as Michael Buble.
on 26 March 2011
Most people have heard of Michael Buble but I think that Harry Connick Jnr seems to have taken a back seat lately in people's opinions. Indeed, I have Michael Buble albums myself and those by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett and more recently the complete American songbook by Rod Stewart. All of them are brought down from the shelf occasionally and find themselves in my CD player.

When I first heard Harry Connick, yes, I thought he sounded like Frank Sinatra but years later and having listened to him more carefully, it is more obvious now that his technique is more mellow even and dare I say, more refined.

If you are a person who likes easy listening music, the kind you can leave in the car and just instantly sing along to (your tensions eased as you sit at the traffic lights) then give this CD a try. You won't be sorry you did!
on 19 March 2014
This is a great CD, a pity his others i have bought off the back of this havent been. Not a bad song on this and shows he can sing, he does a great job of disproving that though on his first 2 CDs though in my view. 8 out of 10 from me.
on 18 July 2017
Great singer, great songs.
on 17 April 2012
As expected, Mr. Connick did not fail to deliver. This is a very nice set of recodings, and helps make for a calm drive to work, rather than listening to the tripe some radio stations spew out.
Your Songs
on 11 December 2016
what's not to love...oh harry x
on 4 April 2016
bought as a gift.
on 4 October 2017
marvellous singer, marvellous songs, i love this CD
on 23 March 2015