Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Over the past few years it has become fashionable for rock singers, pop singers and even country singers to dip into the Great American Songbook with varying degrees of success. Here, Harry Connick Jr shows himself to be the real deal adding some newer songs to the concept and four classic songs penned by Brits.

One great advantage that this CD enjoys is in the strength of the fifteen selections, there is not an ounce of filler on the entire album. There are the perfectly delivered standards: "All The Way", "Some Enchanted Evening", "Mona Lisa", and "Besame Mucho". Then, tipping his hat to more rock oriented songs we find subtly reworked versions of Taupin & John's "Your Song", Don McLean's "And I Love You So" and Lennon & McCartney's "And I Love Her" plus an alternate version of this number where he duets with Carla Bruni,

The simple beauty of the classics "The Way You Look Tonight", "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" and Ewan McColl's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" are handled with restraint and sophistication.

As singer, piano player, arranger, conductor and producer Connick has wrought one of the albums of the year. Everything about the orchestra and the arrangements smacks of class and, as Harry's voice caresses the lyrics and glides over the melodies, you feel a sense that when he sings the world can't be all bad.
on 7 May 2017
I've always loved Harry Connick's voice but found his interpretations of standards too jazzy for my taste. However, on this album he seems to hold back on the excesses of his jazzy side and by doing so allows you to appreciate his silky voice more. I firmly believe if he had recorded more albums like this he would have been as popular in the UK as Michael Buble.
on 18 July 2017
Great singer, great songs.
on 19 December 2009
I've always liked Harry Connick Jr's singing, and always resented the accusation that he was aping Frank Sinatra. He is ten times the musician that Sinatra was, even if his voice is not so instantly memorable. He proves it on this album by taking songs that have been done to death (I groaned when I saw the track list) and producing new and innovative takes on all of them. Yet you never feel like an old favourite has been destroyed in the process. One interesting moment is hearing Connick sing Mona Lisa (a song that Sinatra turned down). He sounds warmer in voice as he is getting older, and it's interesting to speculate whether Sinatra would have done it any better than the beautiful version that Connick turns in.

Another surprise is the presence of Carla Bruni, who has a sweet voice that reminds me of Astrud Gilberto, on the Beatles track "And I Love Her". It's typical of the album, taken at a slow and relaxed pace, with a little bit of a funky feel to the rhythm.

All in all, if you listen to it carefully, there is layer upon layer of musical sophistication to enjoy. Yet it's also perfectly pleasant to listen to it late at night, curled up on the sofa with a glass of wine. It's perfect chilling out music in that way. My only gripe is that there's no "wow" moment, but then Connick has always been above that.
on 4 November 2009
GOOD SELECTION OF SONGS WITH AN INTERESTING ORCHESTRADET MUSICIANS ARRANGED BY HARRY. MICHAEL BUBLÉ IS FANTASTIC BUT HARRY CONNICK JR. OPENED FIRST THESE STYLE IN A MODERN TIMES, AND NOW IS BACK AND WE CAN TO ENJOY IT AGAIN.
on 26 March 2011
Most people have heard of Michael Buble but I think that Harry Connick Jnr seems to have taken a back seat lately in people's opinions. Indeed, I have Michael Buble albums myself and those by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett and more recently the complete American songbook by Rod Stewart. All of them are brought down from the shelf occasionally and find themselves in my CD player.

When I first heard Harry Connick, yes, I thought he sounded like Frank Sinatra but years later and having listened to him more carefully, it is more obvious now that his technique is more mellow even and dare I say, more refined.

If you are a person who likes easy listening music, the kind you can leave in the car and just instantly sing along to (your tensions eased as you sit at the traffic lights) then give this CD a try. You won't be sorry you did!
on 6 January 2010
This was my first experience of Harry Connick Jnr singing and I really enjoyed it. Lovely tone and expression to his voice.
on 23 May 2010
I bought this album as a present to my better half. I like it too as well, and I must say that I personally think he sings the Sinatra song better than Frank did. It's a pleasent album that makes you in a good mood. An in comes in 180 gr. vinyl in quality innersleeves, no flimsy cheap paper here.
on 19 March 2014
This is a great CD, a pity his others i have bought off the back of this havent been. Not a bad song on this and shows he can sing, he does a great job of disproving that though on his first 2 CDs though in my view. 8 out of 10 from me.
on 17 April 2012
As expected, Mr. Connick did not fail to deliver. This is a very nice set of recodings, and helps make for a calm drive to work, rather than listening to the tripe some radio stations spew out.
Your Songs