Customer reviews

Price:£12.50+ £1.26 shipping

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 September 2012
Live from The Royal Albert Hall is probably the best DVD
that I have seen and heard from The Killers. No doubt
being a first live album makes all the difference.

This pack contains two discs, the DVD of course and a CD
offering 17 tracks recorded live, with over 78 minutes
on the CD alone. All of the old favourites are here.

Human, Mr Brightside, This is Your Life, When You
Were Young, Jenny Was A Friend of Mine, Somebody Told Me and
lots of incredible others.

I was doubtful about buying a live album, many of those that
I have bought in the past from all pop genres have had too
much crowd noise which can drown out the artistes. Not so
on this recording. yes, there is audience participation but
it is not intrusive, and is only apparent between tracks and
when Brandon calls out for it and eggs them on.

There are a few bonus festival performances included on the
DVD. Oxegen Festival, Hyde Park and the V Festival giving
tracks from each. Some backstage material is included too.

Brandon the quiet unassuming Mormon from Las Vegas becomes
something raw and alive on stage and along with his Killer
buddies backing him, the whole thing is very special and
recreates that concert atmosphere. The Killers at their
best.

The whole DVD/CD experience is of 2 hours 40 minutes.
Well worth buying.
Well enjoyed by this 66 year old fart!
on 29 September 2017
Love this album/DVD. Listen to it all the time. Classic Killers.
on 26 July 2017
Brilliant!
on 5 January 2014
The Killers are super slick live, and this is exacly that. got it as a present for my Dad and he loved it
on 26 June 2010
I just bought a Panasonic blueray player and decided I would use the Killers live as a reference, as I already own the DVD version.
The depth and detail of the Albert Hall in this format, even when briefly glimpsed is sensational, and the richness of the picture was fabulous. I did notice that the sound synch missed a beat a few times - just slightly off with the drum beats, but I had read about that beforehand. I was surprised that this didn't annoy me but by the time I noticed, I was too happy with the show to be bothered. Sadly, I feel I may have bought my last DVD, and it feels like groundhog day when I had to replace my record collection with CD's. It goes without saying that the concert was fabulous, so I won't.
on 12 November 2009
This is a majestic performance from beginning to end, and The Killers prove themselves well-worthy of the beautiful Royal Albert Hall setting.

I saw the band live at T in the Park earlier in the year, and while some elements of the performance are similar (the set list is almost identical, and some of the songs are introduced in the same way), the overall "feel" of the Royal Albert Hall gig is more refined and intimate.

Highlights, for me, are the extended Day and Age Tour versions of "For Reasons Unknown" and "Bling" (both of which drop down and take a lull while Brandon Flowers encourages some crowd interaction, before picking back up and exploding into their utterly climactic conclusions); the surprise-packages of "I Can't Stay" and "Sweet Talk" (the former in particular is performed stunningly), and the one-two smackdown of "Mr Brightside" and "All These Things That I've Done"... "Spaceman" and "Dustland Fairytale" are a pretty powerful combination too. Generally speaking, all of the tracks sound far better live than they do recorded; there's more energy and clarity to them and Flowers' voice sounds tremendous when it isn't needlessly roboticized as it sometimes is in their albums.

The only song that I feel somewhat drags is "The World We Live In", but that's more to do with the fact that the studio version was never a favourite of mine anyway, not because it's a sub-par performance -- if you like the song, you'll like the live version more than I did.

The DVD begins and ends with new versions of "Enterlude" and "Exitlude", and features bonus performances, including one of my personal favourites "Tranquilize" from the Oxegen festival. In terms of bonus features it's a bit sparse; there's a nice little Behind The Scenes documentary which is worth watching, but that's really about it... The quality of the primary content renders this irrelevant anyway.

Speaking of quality, in terms of production and sound -- top notch. My only criticism - and it's a minor one - is that I'd like the crowd noise to have been brought into the foreground just a notch more for certain songs such as "Mr Brightside". Other than that, the balance is pretty much perfect.

To put it succinctly; buy this DVD, it's one of the best.

[As a further point of note, I posted this review on the American Amazon and was asked about crowd noise levels throughout the performance and whether there were too many "singalongs" based on the teaser clips that were released... The answer is that the only song in which the crowd are almost as audible as the band is "When You Were Young" -- throughout the rest of the set the crowd noise is generally dipped with the exception of the moments where they are invited to sing by Flowers while he has a quick breather. Therefore it isn't a "singalong" by any means, and for the vast majority the music of the band takes center stage.]
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2015
The Killers were one of the very first indie rock bands I fell in love with, and can quite clearly remember watching Brandon Flowers and his boys playing their then latest single 'Somebody Told Me' on the Jonathan Ross television chat show. Quite bizarrely, considering their huge success, this remains the only live DVD available - but what a thing of beauty it is.

This twin set provides very good value, consisting of both a CD and DVD. Really, it's worth having for the latter disc alone, which lasts for over two hours. The beautiful Royal Albert Hall is a perfect venue to play and film a gig, and this one, recorded over two nights, contains all the band's biggest hit singles like 'All the Things That I've Done', and 'Bones', as well as the best songs from their then latest album 'Day & Age', of which the clever artwork of this package resembles.

The quality of the concert footage really is superb, both in it's visual and sound, and if anything, I'd say that The Killers sound even better live than what they do on a record. The good-looking, strong vocalist and Killers' frontman Brandon Flowers was truly allowed to demonstrate what a great showman he is for the whole world to witness, and the band were able put on a fantastic rock concert for the cameras without the use of any gimmicks.

The DVD's special features include bonus festival performances of seven songs, including 'Tranquilize' at the 2009 Oxegen Festival, 'Human' and 'Mr. Brightside' at London's Park, and both 'Smile Like You Mean It' and 'When You Were Young' from V Festival 09. There is also a wealth of behind-the-scenes footage, including intimate behind-the-scenes interviews with crew and fans.

The CD contains every track on the DVD, without the bonus songs, and that in itself is a great souvenir, to be able to listen to a full Killers' concert on the go is a treat, and as it's the only live record available from the band thus far, it's so a must.

I have many live DVDs from arguably some of the greatest musicians ever to have lived, and The Killers' 'Live From The Royal Albert Hall' is among the very best I own. If you're a fan of The Killers - this package is indispensable.
on 29 November 2009
Let me start by saying that i'm not the world's biggest Killers fan. I like them, and a lot of their songs. And I have seen them live as support for U2 @ Cardiff Stadium on during U2's Vertigo tour. But I'm not a blinkered fanboi of Messr's Flowers and co..

But credit where it is due. This is a live concert DVD of immense brilliance. It's not unusual these days for concerts to have audio and video captured in high quality, but sometimes that is not enough. What makes this so special is firstly the setting of the Royal Albert Hall and secondly the way it has been edited to give a very intimate and revealing glimpse of the band pre, during and after a concert.

Setting: To shoot this DVD @ RAH is a stroke of genius by the band. I am so glad they choose not to record one of their more ubiqitous festival performances (although there are some extra tracks on the disc from festival performances...). To be honest I have been getting a bit tired of seeing The Killers every year on TV during the summer headlining this or that festival. The RHA show is small enough to be intimate, but big enough to be impressive. And it is a fabulous venue, and they have made it the centerpiece of the show by having outside the venue street shots as well as 'flying' down the hallways and backstage with the band. It gives you a real sense of the venue missing in so many concert DVD's where a band is playing some anonymous concrete arena. This emphises on the building creates extra feeling and intimacy for the concert. For example, following Brandon during a song out from the stage back into the public concourse and through a door way back onto a balcony in the hall shows how interconnected the place is - with only a short distance between the stage and any part of the hall.

Editing: This too is very good. Far too many concerts are edited with a million different camera shots a minute, so you literally flash from one band member to the next over and over. They have avoided this by having longer shots on one of the guys at a time, or sideways shots that capture two or more of the band. It's been very well thought out, and respectfully edited. Some nice crowd shots, overheads and black and white film bits only add to it's greatness.

A very good set list is chosen by the band (although sadly no Glamourous Indie Rock & Roll..), and they are all in excellent form as musicians. Sometimes I've felt they seem a bit wayward playing the festivals, but not here. They are tight and on the beat.

I have about 30 concert DVD's from various bands. This is without doubt one of the very best I have seen.

Well done to The Killers. Showing how it should be done, this is stunning concert DVD (and CD of course)
on 16 July 2017
I was there with my sister at this gig and we couldn't believe how good our seats were not to mention The Killlers! Awesome and didn't want it to end. Flawless and such energy - Brandon was so energetic and the rest of the band were nothing less than superb.. May they keep escalating to even greater heights...will always keep playing ....' When you were young' not to mention 'Mr Brightside', 'Spaceman', 'Human' and my personal fave, 'Somebody told me' . KEEP ROCKING. love u.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 December 2013
Have had this for quite a while now but after another viewing I felt I just had to place on record my review of this stunning Blu Ray from The Killers.

The show, from 2009, is a 22-song set from the amazing setting of The Royal Albert Hall. It begins, after a brief intro, with Human which I still feel is the perfect track out of their setlist with which to start a show. I simply can't listen to this track anymore from any other source without wanting to add 'LONDON" at the appropriate moment. Brilliant and wish they did it this way when I went to see them at Hammersmith back in November this year (a much shorter setlist than the Blu Ray too). What follows is a setlist that takes in all of the hits, live favourites (Sam's Town - superb!) and more and all performed with energy that clearly shows the band felt this was a special night. The crowd were superb throughout - all in all one of the best liver performances I have seen from The Killers.

As for the Blu Ray it doesn't disappoint. Excellent picture quality and with a 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack that sounds fantastic. A nice touch with the pop-up menus which appear while you watch so you can easily select another track with the minimum of fuss.

Unlike many other live Blu Rays this one comes packed with extras. There is a great behind the scenes short (25 mins) that shows the fans, the band and the support crew and the huge amount of work that goes in to putting on a show like this. All of this done is an informative and, on occasion, funny way. Unusual for me that it was so good I watched it all! Also included are several extra tracks from live shows such as their Hyde Park performance. I have put up a scan from the rear cover should you want the full track list and extras and this can be found above.

In summary I find this to be the perfect blu ray for an amazing band that has captured them at their peak. Just wish we could have one for the Wembley show now!

Highly recommended.