on 6 February 2012
Been using this to stream music from pc/mp3 player/smart phone to bluetooth speaker in kitchen, and a QED UPLAY receiver linked to a stereo. Both the bluetooth speaker and the QED support the apt-x codec in this jaybird, and it really does make it sound fantastic. There is a huge difference from a normal bluetooth connection, and it sounds crisp and bassy. I also tried it with non-apt-x speakers, and it worked well, but sounded just average, with some small distortion as expected with regular bluetooth.
Worth the money in my opinion for easy and cheap multi-room wireless music.
on 12 February 2014
I've bought two of these now. The first one for myself about 2-3 years ago. It's still going strong. I use it to stream from iPad/iPhone and various other devices, where I want the APT-X quality from my Sennheiser APT-X headphones.The big benefit of APT-X is you don't get any "lag", which you really don't want if you're watching films etc over Bluetooth. The sound quality is also better. How much better is open for debate. I can hear the difference. I suspect many won't unless you are playing lossless music.

The second one of these I bought for a relative, who wanted wireless headphones for a Yamaha Clavinova keyboard. I bought a set of the Sennheiser APT-X headphone along with one of these dongles as this ensure there is no "lag" between pressing a key on the keyboard and hearing the sound in the headphones. In short, it works a treat.

Overall, the quality of the item itself is great and the sound quality is superb. It's super-easy to pair with a Bluetooth device and comes with a neat USB charging lead (don't lose it!!). It will last a good few hours of playback.
A status LED shows you are connected and in what quality (APT-X or normal).
on 1 March 2013
I am using this product with an i pad and entry level smartphone to play music to my hi-fi. It worked first time. The audio quality superb and indistinguishable from a wired connection.
on 25 September 2012
I have been trying for years to find a hi-fi, professional audio Bluetooth transmitter that could be connected to any audio device, in order to stream my huge collection of thousands of digital audio files from my portable devices to my audio system.

Unfortunately, as most Bluetooth users probably know already, the standard AD2P Bluetooth SBC compression codec (which is typically used by most Bluetooth interfaces to compress wireless audio), creates a great deal of compression artifacts, which are particularly noticeable in any kind of music using acoustic instruments, like jazz, classical, orchestral music, etc.

As a matter of fact, the typical SBC compression usually turns the higher frequency ranges into a shrilling garbled mess of unbearable noises, which can be easily noticed on instruments such as violins, flutes, and high-frequency percussions such as hi-hats, cymbals, shakers, sleigh bells, tambourines, etc.

So, until today, all of the traditional Bluetooth transmitters I have tried turned out to be almost unusable, other than for standard pop/rock music, at least to my discriminating musician ear.

Luckily, in recent years the APT-X Bluetooth high-quality compression codec was introduced, producing much less artifacts in wireless compressed audio streams. (Actually, now there are even _lossless_ APT-X codecs, which should completely solve this problem, hopefully)

Since APT-X-compatible transmitters, receivers and devices have become more and more available and common, I read many positive reviews on the various devices using this codec, even if they are _very_ costly, on average; so, I finally took the plunge and decided to try the most readily available couple of transmitting/receiving devices I could find on Amazon, i.e. the Jaybird uSport transmitter and the Qed Uplay receiver Qed UPLAY-PUCK UPLAY-PUCK Bluetooth Receiver with Apt-X Technology.

IMPORTANT: please note that, even if APT-X devices are usually also backward-compatible with the standard Bluetooth SBC audio compression codec, in order to take advantage of the better sound quality of the APT-X codec you MUST use APT-X compatible devices BOTH on the transmitting AND the receiving devices.

This point might seem obvious, but I noticed _a lot_ of negative reviews from people who just bought an APT-X transmitting device (a dongle, an APT-X phone, etc.) OR an APT-X receiving device (amplified speakers, headphones, wireless receivers, etc.), and then complained about the quality being identical to that produced by standard Bluetooth devices. (Or even worse than that, more on that below...)

Unfortunately, as you will notice by looking at the lists of all the APT-X enabled devices currently available on the market (there are a couple of such lists on the Web), although there are lots of _receiving_ APT-X devices (amplified speakers, headphones, earphones, audio systems, receivers, etc.), the available non-dedicated APT-X _transmitters_ are very few (apart from those embedded into _very costly devices, such as some of the most recent Samsung/HTC smartphones/tablets, for instance).

As a matter of fact, at the moment I am writing (September 2012) as far as I know there are only _a couple_ of actual APT-X transmitters which can be connected to _any_ audio device through an ordinary 3.5mm jack: one of them is an old Sennheiser one, which is very difficult to find at the moment, and the other one is the uSport, so I did not have much choice in choosing the transmitter...

But how did it work in the end?

First, I must say that this transmitter is _extremely small, much smaller than it seemed by judging from the pictures: it is just an inconspicuous 3.3x4.5x7 mm elegant and very light black plastic box with a fixed short 6.5cm cable ending with a 3.5 stereo male jack; the transmitter can be easily hidden under any audio device, although it offers no attachment system, and has just a single button, a power input female micro-jack and a red/blue small led.

The transitter must be first charged for a couple of hours through the provided USB power cable, which must be attached to any standard USB powered port or USB adaptor (not provided).

Then, you just have to turn it on pushing the power button for a few seconds, and wait for the device to pair automatically with any receiver it can find. It pairs automatically with the first device it can find using the "0000", "1111", "1234" or "8888" codes, which are used by most Bluetooth devices, so there should be no problems about possible pairing incompatibilities, as it happens sometimes with other devices.

Please note that this device can be paired to just ONE device at a time, so if you change device, _you need to repeat pairing_ by keeping the on/off button pushed for 3-5 seconds until the blue/red led flashes again.

I connected the uSport cable to my Samsung S8500 phone, which has a good sound chip, great sound quality and several equalization options, and which I use as huge portable media player.

Just as an experiment, at first I tried to pair the uSport to a standard Bluetooth receiver which was NOT compatible with the APT-X codec, and the results were, in my opinion, _terrible_.

The audio was heavily distorted as soon as I increased the volume over half on the phone, and even at low volume the sound was "shrieking", with excessively high-pitched frequencies and a shrilling overall sound, not to mention a noticeable lack of bass frequencies. Even using equalization, I was barely able to obtain a decent sound, since I realized that the output signal of the uSport was way too loud for the standard Bluetooth receiver. So, I would NOT recommend using this device to stream audio to a STANDARD NON-APT-X Bluetooth receiver/device. My old, cheap B-Speech TX2 Bluetooth transmitter, in comparison, is way better in terms of sound quality and definition.

Then, I finally paired the uSport with the QED Uplay puck, (no problem in pairing them, either), and only at this time an entire new world of wireless audio opened to my ears!!

The quality is _astonishingly_ good! The garbled high frequencies of the standard Bluetooth audio transmissions magically disappear, replaced by a wonderfully detailed, _almost_ perfect sound, which closely resembles the one you can get from a wired connection! High frequencies are clean, well defined, without any noticeable distortion, and low frequencies are reproduced properly and clearly, too, without sounding muddled or distorted... PROVIDED YOU DO NOT RAISE THE SOURCE VOLUME over approx. 50-60%!

As a matter of fact, again, as soon as I increased the volume on the phone over 50-60% (depending on the source material volume level), some distortion appeared again, especially on mid-low frequencies, and this was more noticeable when the uSport was connected to smaller amplified speakers (whose line input saturated more easily), while on a Hi-Fi system the distortion was much less noticeable, and the sound stayed cleaner even at slightly higher volume levels.

So, in my opinion, the most negative aspect of this transmitter is that its output signal is so high, that in order to keep a clean sound you should always keep the volume of the player it is connected to as low as possible, and just raise the volume on the playback device (speakers, amplifiers, etc.) This unfortunately might be a hassle, if you do not have any way to control the speaker/amplifier/headphone volume wirelessly, too, of course... I solved this by setting the amplifier/speaker volume at almost the maximum allowed without distortion, and then reducing at minimum the volume on my phone/media players, using their 50-60% volume level as if it was 100%.

I also noticed that using any equalization on the phone usually made things worse, too, depending on the source material; luckily, since the uSport frequency range reproduction is already very good, in my opinion you should just avoid applying ANY equalization on the source player (or just minimal adjustments), and adjust the equalization on the amplifier/speakers/headphones, if possible.

Please also note that I heard some slight hiss on quieter music passages and/or extremely low-volume audio files, but this is a common behaviour in most Bluetooth audio connections. On the other hand, I noticed no audio breakups or interference, even in a small room with several active cel phones and electronic devices/computers around.

Another relative limitation of this device, instead, is that its rechargeable battery is built-in and non-user replaceable, so in a couple of years (or even less, depending on when the battery was manufactured) it might probably become unable to holde a charge, as it happens with all Li-Ion batteries, even if you do not use them. Anyway, by that time I will be probably using directly an APT-X phone or player, considering the incredible quality difference with the standard SBC codec I have experienced! ;-)

Anyway, these minor limitations, in my opinion, are negligible compared to the huge leap ahead in quality you get from such an incospicuous and relatively cheap device; so, all things considered, I am totally satisfied with this little gem, and I absolutely recommend it to more demanding users who actually care about the quality of wireless audio. I can't wait to try soon an APT-X -_lossless_ device!
77 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2013
good sound quality and battery lasts well too.
Very pleased with this product and would definitely buy another \
Charges via USB cable supplied
on 7 May 2015
I actually like this but it far to fragile. I hardly use it and when I do it is not subjected to any stress, it simply plugs into my system an it not touched. I have never use it in a mobile way. The unit has developed a connection issue making it un-sable. I need to get a replacement.
on 23 July 2013
Maybe I didn't read the specs properly or the reviews. Be aware this is only a transmitter from a 3.5mm output to a compatible bluetooth device. I was looking to replace a kaput QED Bluetooth puck in my car and alighted on this - and purchased it. What appealed was that it came with a USB charging lead which would have allowed me to replace the mess of cables in my car.
Credit to the online chat provided by Jaybird - they told me I was wrong almost immediately. Ah well.
Got to say it is a neat little thing and I will attach it to a device of some sort (it's just that I can't think of any I own already that don't have Bluetooth....
on 23 June 2014
I am well pleased with this kit - used with the Jaybird earphones - and use it regularly in the Gym. The charge lasts for three sessions and the sound quality is superb!
on 15 April 2014
The Jaybird uSport Universal Bluetooth adapter works perfect with the Jaybird Bluebud Earphones. I don't doubt it will work with other bluetooth devices also
on 5 June 2014
Works well but the range is a bit limited and its a bit bulky. Plus you have to pair it every time you use it....boaring!