on 31 August 2010
I bought this in June 2010 after several months research and wanting to find an eBook I could carry around with me. I also bought the hard cover with light so as to protect the screen.
I love the eBook itself, the functionality is great and I love reading it - even outdoors in bright sunlight the screen has no glare. However...
...it's now the end of August 2010 and the screen has developed a fault where cross-cross lines have appeared all over it. I've been advised that the manufacturer's warranty will not apply as the lines are consistent with damage - ie, a drop or something sharp pressing against the screen. Sony have estimated the cost to repair at just over £100 (on an item that originally cost £149 new).
I've been carrying the eBook around in my handbag and know it has not been dropped. I also have no knowledge of anything sharp pressing against the screen - particularly as the case should have prevented this. If I'd known the eBook was so delicate I would probably have left it at home apart from holidays - it's unusable after just 2 months usage.
I'm lucky in that my credit card provider gives me 90 days purchase protection including accidental damage, so I'm currently pressing ahead with an insurance claim through my provider so I can get the eBook repaired - but I just wanted to warn others that carrying your eBook around, even in a case, is not really advisable and you should probably stick to reading it at home (which kind of defeats the point of having a portable device that hold lots of books...)
I woon't be recommending this particular model to friends any more.
on 24 July 2010
I REALLY, REALLY wanted one of these, but as I have been unemployed for over a year, thought it prudent to wait until after Xmas, when they would be reduced!
My beloved, however, fed up of my whimpering when passing them in a shop bought it for me, and I LOVE IT... possibly, even more than him!

I have over 650 books on - James Patterson, Stephen King.... all sorts, but I did compress them all as I got them, and I still have room for more!

You can read a number of books at one time, it keeps note of where you have got to for your return, the print is fantastic, in sunlight and lamp light (dependant on the quality of the ebook you download, but 99% of mine are good quality)
The only down side at the moment is the problems locating and then the consequent cost of any new books (about the price of a hardback), but, there are lots of freebies out there, and old books out of copyright date, so I'm happy to wait a bit for prices on new stuff to drop.

I take it EVERYWHERE, the battery life is so splendid (6 hours reading a day on a week hol, and only recharged once)

Did I mention I loved it?!?!?
His money, well spent!
on 11 January 2010
This was bought for my wife for christmas and she hasnt put it down yet. Really pleased, easy to use and a great price.
I'm not altogether thrilled with this older-model Sony reader, bought as a present for my friend's pink (colour, not artist)- and reading-obsessed 10-year old. My biggest gripe relates to colour. The ONLY reason I opted for this model rather than a Kindle 4 or a Kobo Touch (white with lilac backing) was that it purported to come in pink.

I was, therefore, less than impressed to find that the reader isn't really pink at all. Most of the device's plastic frame is a dark shade that's a pretty close match for my own RED PRS-T1, and a Sony brand sticker detailing the colour on the box even lists it as 'Red'. The only truly pink section is a narrow band of light pink plastic running around the edge of the reader. Judging by net responses, it seems that device colour (when not black/silver) has plagued this model of reader: with purchasers unhappy about the mid-tone shade chosen.

Colour irritation aside, this works pretty well from what I've seen - nice, crisp e-ink display, good size to hold - but is clearly an older model e-reader, with button-control interface and rather smaller storage capacity than newer versions. In the box you get: the reader, a soft cover (black) for it, a USB cable (no mains charger and a USB to mains conversion plug won't do the trick - a separate mains adapter is needed) and warranty/support documentation.
on 4 May 2010
Bought this after alot of debating, however, it is not as good as you'd expect. I saw it held 'up to 350 books' and realised this depends on the file size etc but guessed even if I had 50% stored that should be over 150 books - fine for my study. Put 32 on and attempted to put another....told NO SPACE!!!! What!? Stupidly I didn't check the tech details and took the write up of "up to 350 books" as fairly believable...der idiot! It only has a 512mb storage with NO expansion capacity, bear this in mind when buying. Ok if using for holiday books or don't want to hold LOADS; very disappointed. In the end i have bought a netbook, 60GB storage (so holds all my books easily!) plus get benifit of web access...now why didn't I do that first!?
on 27 June 2010
I find this a convenient size to carry around comfortably. The screen is a good size and offers a choice for the size text you require. The charged battery lasts for many hours. It is very easy to navigate. I haven't stopped reading since I purchased it .
on 26 June 2013
Love the colour, love the ease of use, best thing I have bought in ages!! I was a bit against getting one of these, but I love to read and this is perfect if like me you don't have a lot of room to store things! Just FAB!!!
on 6 February 2011
I love the Sony Reader. It is small enough to slip into my handbag, to take on a plane or train, or read in a queue, so I'm not lugging round heavy books now. I can switch it off at the page I'm reading, and turn it on later to the same page immediately. There is no glare at all across the screen, even in broad daylight. I can download my books quickly. It has lots of battery time so I seldom seem to need to charge it. I can change the font size of the print, or rotate the print from portrait to landscape. I can bookmark pages. I love the fact that my Sony Reader is pink - sooo feminine.
The fun thing for me is working out at a gym with the Sony Reader propped up in front! No longer is the gym mind-numbingly tedious but a time to open my mind. I read it on the cross trainer and bike. Just reading whilst running on the treadmill is more tricky!
I can't think of anything negative about it. I think everyone should have one.
on 22 January 2010
The only thing I have to complain about this product is that it isn't really red but PINK!

Otherwise it do what it says in the box
on 21 September 2010
Looks great, light weight, Downloads a bit difficult at first but have got the hang of it within a log day trying, need more sites for free books, Delivery took almost a month but they kept in touch by email of progress.