on 14 August 2005
Having avoided a lot of the produce from the over-hyped Class of '04 (Keane, I'm looking at you...) I eventually bought this on a word-of-mouth recommendation. Thanks to the friend who convinced me, because otherwise I would have missed a little gem.
Of course it isn't strikingly original, there being nothing new under the sun, and the influences have been well-documented, but Franz Ferdinand mix up driving guitar riffs with 80s pop sounds and occasionally quirky lyrics to great effect, the result sounding fresh and perky. 'Matinee' in particular comes over like a rockier Divine Comedy (no bad thing), while 'Tell Her Tonight' has strong overtones of early Adam and the Ants (ditto).
Basically, if you like the formula that FF are working to, you'll like this whole album, as all the tracks are strong, even if the majority are a little out of the same mould. My first impression was it was too short (38 minutes) but given the similarity between some of the tracks - the chorus in 'Take Me Out' sounds like a reprise of 'Jacqueline' - I think it's wise that it doesn't outstay its welcome, instead keeping its rapid, zippy sparkle and leaving the listener wanting just a little bit more. It's a record that stands up to repeat playing, and I would go so far as to say that, while no American Idiot or even a Hot Fuss, it's definitely one of the Top 5 albums of 2004. If I had to pick a favourite track, I'd say 'This Fire' just shades it.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2017
Quality band, excellent album, what more can I say?
on 12 August 2015
Packed full of catchy riffs and clever lyrics.
A decent addition to any collection of post Brit pop albums.
on 13 August 2009
I don't know why I waited so long to buy this album - it's great! If you like noisy guitars, smart key changes and interesting lyrics, buy this record! 'Take Me Out' is the stand out track, but there are a lot of other great songs on here too.
on 29 June 2016
Great CD great service
on 14 November 2016
Quality music which I always have wanted.
on 22 January 2016
Good. Lots on here!
on 11 August 2017
Ordered one night,,delivered the next day. It plays perfectly
on 3 August 2017
thanks
on 9 June 2016
great product, quick delivery!