Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 10 February 2004
I have just listened to the album for the first time in the last half an hour. I was very impressed. I loved "Take Me Out" and "Darts Of Pleasure" when I saw them on the music channels, but with all the hype, it was obviously going to be hard for Franz Ferdinand to meet expectations. They have met mine. There are a few weak tracks, (I didn't particularly like "Tell Her Tonight") and the lyrics could do with some work, (although I have only just heard it once, it may grow on me). The best track apart from the two singles, I would say is Matinee. It has the same sort of catchiness of Take Me Out, with a more complex tune.
PS. I would like to ask people not to review albums they haven't even heard, as the two bad reviewees obviously haven't. If you don't like the singles, don't tell us you hate the albums. Nobody likes everything, and we don't need people putting up unhelpful reviews. If you have bought (and listened to it) the album, and don't like it, then review it by all means.
on 9 July 2004
In 1990 Glasgow was named "European Capital of Culture." In 2004 it finally merited the title by serving as the launchpad of one of the most cultured rock bands on the planet: Franz Ferdinand, a group of four musicians from different parts of the UK, who met less than 2 years ago on the Glasgow student/club scene.
Their cultural depth is nowhere more evident than in the skillful use of Surrealist collage and Soviet Constructivism to highlight the mechanical, brutalised feel of the music on the video for "Take Me Out."
Although often called a hard city, musical tastes in Glasgow have always been more fey, louche, and decadent, in an old-fashioned Weimar Republic sort of way, leading to music that is both more unique and, until now, less commercially successful than the beerish, laddish rock or druggy blip-blip stuff that has (mis)represented Britain over recent years.
Franz Ferdinand's take on post-punk, retro 80s, art rock (with globs of funk and lounge singing thrown in) is among other things, an expression of this. The attitude -- angular guitars/ rushed, glib, affecting arrangements/ detached, ironic singing -- fits perfectly with the slightly peeved way people feel in big cities, unleashing some of the same modernist angst still associated with bands like Joy Division, but with a Talking Heads sense of fun.
Catchy yet edgy; traditional yet fresh!
on 16 July 2004
Franz Ferdinand have experienced a metoric rise to fame, one week they were on once every couple of days on mtv2.. But as all good things are sure not to last neither did the bands underground-lite status.. They were catapulted into BBC radio 1+2 A list (I remember hearing them 4 times in one day), this really killed their singles for me and when playing the album they irrated me so i'd skip straight through them. The album tracks are all good with no filler, all tracks are worthy to be released as a single, 'Michael' is definately the albums high point, funky, subliminal and extremly camp! On the whole a great record, but as with all over played pop singles i cant sit through them so I would say definately buy it for the album tracks. 8/10
on 5 January 2005
I believe this is the band to save us (and the music industry) from falling asleep with the same old boring pop. I first heard of Franz Ferdinand at the beginning of 2004 with their hits Take Me Out and Matinee, needless to say I was impressed. I wanted to get the album but thought of it as a gamble as they might only have released the best songs on the album, but as soon as I heard the first track on the album (Jaqueline) I knew that Franz Ferdinand were something else. My expectation levels grew song by song and time after time I was satisfied and was proven wrong about my thoughts of 'might be one hit wonders'. Not one song on the album is wasted, they are all great but if not at first the tracks (namely Tell Her Tonight) will grow on you. The album sounds like something out of the early 80's which makes great listening to anyone of any age. The sound of Franz Ferdinand's debut album is refreshing and has given hope to the music industry that not all bands are the same old boring plastic pop (Busted and McFly especially). All of Franz released songs are excellent but unreleased Jaqueline and 40 Feet have got to be listened to. The self entitled album is one of the few that can be listened to and enjoyed the whole way through. What annoys me is the dismissive comments about Franz Ferdinand when most of the people making these comments have never listened to the album. I have managed to change some of these peoples minds and they have begun to like Franz so that shows that they aren't too bad after all. Franz Ferdinand aren't boring art freaks but even if they are were there is no way that, by proof of the album, they don't make great listening. Clever lyrics, great beats and quirky rythms make the album what it is. Thanks to the music style, fashion and Alex Kapranos' vocals, that make this band the most recognisable anywhere. Even as type this review I listen to this album which once it has a grip of you won't let you go. No wonder Franz Ferdinand's debut album has been a hit both sides of the Atlantic.
P.S.
Thank God for Franz Ferdinand!!!
on 2 August 2004
This may not be helpful, I’m only 16, but I feel everyone has to know how great this album is.
The majority of this album lives up to all the hype and expectations that surrounded its release. The only tracks that disappointed me was "This Fire" and "40 Ft". "This Fire" is one that I think is more of an overall disappointment, it just does not live up to the standards of the other songs, though I do have the pleasure of saying that you can enjoy it a lot more when seeing it performed live. "4O Ft" is more a personal let down as I felt it was a poor way to end the album. Although I felt those tracks were a let down, the other tracks more than make up for it.
"Jacqueline" and "Tell Her Tonight" are both great head nodding, feet stomping tracks, a good way to open the album. Following with singles "Take Me Out" and "Dark of the Matinee" both of which everyone knows and loves are definitely amongst the stand out tracks. Slowing things down a little with "Auf Achse" its a good song, and compliments the album, as do "Cheating on You" and "This Fire". "Darts of Pleasure" is another stand out track.
The next track is my personal favourite, first time I heard it I thought its really good, very catchy. Then I was at T in the Park and heard it live, now the only word to describe it is amazing!The story behind the song i heard is it's about their friend who had one gay experience with a guy called "Michael", those lyrics are real and this song is legendary. I don't think it will get the same recognition as "Take Me Out", though it does deserve it. Its truly genius lyrics and a super piece of music.
The next track, "Come On Home" makes me feel very patriotic, just because the fact that these four guys are Scottish, as am I. Its another good song. They end the album with my least favourite song "40 Ft"; it depends on your own personal taste.
This album is "superfantastic" and well worth buying, and if you ever get a chance to see them live, go! Even tracks you may not like sound ten times better, you won’t be disappointed.
on 5 January 2005
I believe this is the band to save us (and the music industry) from falling asleep with the same old boring pop. I first heard of Franz Ferdinand at the beginning of 2004 with their hits Take Me Out and Matinee, needless to say I was impressed. I wanted to get the album but thought of it as a gamble as they might only have released the best songs on the album, but as soon as I heard the first track on the album (Jaqueline) I knew that Franz Ferdinand were something else. My expectation levels grew song by song and time after time I was satisfied and was proven wrong about my thoughts of 'might be one hit wonders'. Not one song on the album is wasted, they are all great but if not at first the tracks (namely Tell Her Tonight) will grow on you. The album sounds like something out of the early 80's which makes great listening to anyone of any age. The sound of Franz Ferdinand's debut album is refreshing and has given hope to the music industry that not all bands are the same old boring plastic pop (Busted and McFly especially). All of Franz released songs are excellent but unreleased Jaqueline and 40 Feet have got to be listened to. The self entitled album is one of the few that can be listened to and enjoyed the whole way through. What annoys me is the dismissive comments about Franz Ferdinand when most of the people making these comments have never listened to the album. I have managed to change some of these peoples minds and they have begun to like Franz so that shows that they aren't too bad after all. Franz Ferdinand aren't boring art freaks but even if they are were there is no way that, by proof of the album, they don't make great listening. Clever lyrics, great beats and quirky rythms make the album what it is. Thanks to the music style, fashion and Alex Kapranos' vocals, that make this band the most recognisable anywhere. Even as type this review I listen to this album which once it has a grip of you won't it let go. No wonder Franz Ferdinand's debut album has been a hit both sides of the Atlantic.
P.S.
They are still just as good live. Look out for these guys in the future, they look set to get bigger again and let's hope their second album is just as good later this year.
Thank God for Franz Ferdinand!!!
on 10 June 2004
Franz Ferdinand is one of the best albums i've bought this year. I heard the catchy Take me Out and had to buy the album, and there follow-up tune Dark of the Matinee isn't bad either. I would recomend this album to anyone. My fave tracks on the album are Take me Out, Dark of the Matinee, auf achse and the best by far Track 9: Michael. It's a fantastic album and i'm sure you won't regret buying it.
on 2 August 2004
This album is one of the best albums I have ever bought! It has catchy and danceble tunes! Jaqueline is the opener which keeps you on your toes. It starts of slow and then turns into danceable chorus line which really is fantastic! Tell her tonight is OK. It's like a Bowie/Talking Heads/Roxy Music type song. It's not their best. Then... TAKE ME OUT! Unarguabley the best song on the album. This song also changes. It turns into a really catchable tune that makes you want to stommp your feet to the beat! Matinee is a danceable one with a fantastic chorus. Auf Achse is good with a chorus different from the verse. Cheating On You is good also with a catchy guitar riff. This Fire is the baddest one on the album. It's not really bad but compared to ones like Take Me Out and Michael it is. Darts Of Pleasure was the debut single and I can see why. Very good lyrics. Michael is the next single of the album following Matinee in April and Take Me Out in February. You can't beat this song! Weird lyrics but a truly great song! Come On Home is Ok with good verses but a bit of a slow and boring chorus. 40ft is the dark song of the album but very good.
Best songs: Jaqueline, Take Me Out, Matinee, Michael and 40ft.
Worst songs: Tell Her Tonight,Cheating On You and This Fire.
on 28 November 2004
Well, this album is one of those things that's quite hard to figure out. First time I listened, I hated it. It sounded boring, repetative, and just plain dull. So it was consigned to gather dust. But recently, having heard it going on in the background, I began to slowly fall madly in love with it. It is still repetative, but now that's one of its main draws. If you like one song off this album, chances are you'll love them all. A rather fantastic debut, one well worth a listen. Not quite 5 stars though, as a bit of variety is sorely missed, and I feel it has a certain "love it or hate it" quality about it. Oh well, give it a go! you might just like it...
on 5 February 2006
This is a brilliant album. It has such a diverse mix of tracks that there (surely) must be something for everyone.
I love lyrics and thanks Franz for providing them. Listen to it as music first then look at the lyrics. The surpise for me was 'Cheating on you' because the lyrics sound so poignant and sad, yet the song is so upbeat .......... oh you Franz boys, so contrary .....
There isn't a weak track on the album - 'Darts of pleasure' is superb as is 'Auf achse', and 40' (which seems to have taken some stick) is the perfect end track.
If in doubt, get it, listen and be converted. Oh, and the next album is nearly as good .......