on 23 May 2016
A solid, coherent debut album. Very poppy in parts - see "Standing Next to Me" or "Meeting Place" - but with decent production and lyrics to back it up. Very catchy in parts. My only real criticism is that some of the better songs are cut too short, whereas longer numbers tend to be less memorable. Still, although it is only 35 minutes long, it does not feel short, or with much filler.

If you like the Arctic Monkeys, get this. Alex Turner's contributions, vocal and writing, dominate.

This is markedly better than their follow-up "Everything You've Come To Expect", which is somewhat dull and incoherent.
VINE VOICEon 24 May 2008
I will be honest and say that I don't know The Rascals but I am all too familiar with the precocious talents Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys fame. Side projects of this type could be dismissed as mere vanity projects. Taking inspiration from the epic soundscapes of Scott Walker's quartet of albums from the 60's should be ambitious beyond reach.

It isn't and isn't so for a number of reasons. Firstly Turner writes wonderfully taught lyrics and here they are given a different setting which seems to make them soar. He also adds some darker tones to his writing which suit the mood well. Musically the wish to make something akin to Scott Walker's album works and this is largely due to the pretty much unhearalded talents of Owen Pallett who, at 21, has already made a name arranging strings for Arcade Fire and Beruit. He emulates the sweeping strings of Wally Stott (Walker's arranger) wonderfully. His work is quite literally the highlight of the record and hopefully this will help elevate his band Final Fantasy into the public conciousness.

The sound is very 60's and fans of the likes of Scott Walker, John Barry and countless other 60's icons will find much to enjoy in this. The production is wonderfully executed and adding the merest hint of echo to Turner's voice really sets the mood of songs. It's not really going to set the fans of the Monkeys alight as this is something quite different.

It is ambitious and sumptuous and rarely hits anything short of its desired for hieghts. Picking out individual highlights is hard as each one of the tracks is a joy. Here's hoping there's more from this trio of prodigiously talented individuals. One of the highlights of the year.
4 people found this helpful
on 7 April 2014
I cannot keep this album out of the stereo. I love it. It is an assualt on the senses and sounds epic from all angles. The combination of Alex Turner and Miles Kane has delivered such a versitile and colourful sounding album. This surprised me for two, at the time, fairly young and budding musicians. For me the lyrics are a clear standout and very well written. The prescence of strings is also a standout factor. Highly recommened. Cannot wait for the follow up. Great seller also. I have used this seller before and have had no problems what so ever.
on 5 August 2008
I must admit I was cynical initially but I loved the Opening track 'The Age of Understatement' and was hooked after hearing 'Standing next to me'so brought the CD. Its an album full of lush strings,feelings and warmth.The songs border on the 'lovely' and are well crafted. Love the vocals esp on 'meeting place' and The time has come - both such 60's sounding film tracks. I'm a fan of metal and Rock ( Dillinger Escape Plan and Deftones ) but this album is so 'sentimental' that it will melt the most hardened metal heart- as its done with me- call me a big softie why dont you?
on 8 January 2016
Love this album, couldn't seem to get it at HMV. Definitely worth the buy considering there's a new album coming out this year!
Just a small note, the case is not a standard plastic case. Its like a hard cardboard style case but still looks and works aswell as a normal case
on 11 July 2017
Love the Artic Monkeys and wasn't disappointed with this "blind purchase",
on 16 September 2017
Very good lovely sound easy on the ear woth every penny in fact my friend penny love it
on 2 April 2015
Fantastic album. I'm a massive fan of Arctic Monkeys and Alex Turner is definitely at his best here. Collaborating with Miles Kane, the lads have come up with a masterpiece. I could listen to the album all day. It's brilliant. It came quickly and efficiently which was great. I recommend this to all Arctic monkey and Rascals fans.
on 9 April 2018