Customer reviews

Supercar The Complete Series [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 12 November 2012
As a die-hard Thunderbird/Stingray/Scarlet fan, I bought this boxset to expand my Anderson collection, and it entirely met expectations by being well-made, good fun and entertaining.
It sits in a sort of middle-ground between the whimsical world of childhood escapism and more exciting adventure of fancy uniforms and big machinery.
The characters are caricatures, but somehow don't quite have the charm of the old Wild West caricatures in Anderson's earlier puppet show, Four Feather Falls. But they are still strong and very likeable. With the exception of Mitch, the chimp. Even in the 1960s, when having a token 'cute-sy' character seemed to be fashionable, Mitch is rather unnecessary. The whole show has great kid-appeal, so Mitch can come across as rather like the extra layer of icing on a cake that doesn't need it. The rest of the characters are engaging and have some well-scripted tongue-in-cheek lines.
This is great, innocent entertainment, with a healthy dash of adventure and intrigue. Adults can enjoy as well, though not perhaps as easily as with Anderson's later supermarionnation shows. You get the feeling that Anderson and his team are really getting into the swing of making and handling puppets and their excellent sets and special effects. This means he can focus a bit more on character and plot.
I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to give their kids something good to watch. The only reason it doesn't get the full five stars is because, for me, Anderson's later shows scream out that Anderson, his entire team - and even the musicians - are having a WHALE of a time, and that good feeling is infectious. 'Supercar' doesn't quite have that big-grin feeling.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 November 2014
I love this. I know that it's 'kids stuff', but it was great just to sit back and enjoy them It's many, many years since I first saw them on TV, so didn't remember much about the content. No need to worry about language or any other filth either. Just switch off your brain so that any scientific impossibilities don't spoil your enjoyment, and have fun.
on 12 April 2016
An old old favourite out of the best period of Gerry Anderson and his team. Obviously shaded by Thunderbirds but still entertaining!
on 7 November 2014
I ordered this for my husband as a surprise and he is absolutely delighted with it as grew up watching the series. It is a trip down memory lane for those of us of a certain age!
on 18 January 2014
I got this for my dad last christmas as he remembers watching this back when he was a kid, i think i recall watching some of this when i was younger too as some of it seemed familer to me. great stuff from gerry anderson. 10/10.
on 21 November 2016
I am happy with it because no subtitles..
on 25 August 2014
Great to have this iconic series on DVD at last. Takes me back to my youth in the early 60's.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 July 2015
Fantastic addition to my Gerry Anderson collection, and it hasn't been colourized which in my book is excellent.
on 8 February 2013
For those who remember Supercar, with Mike Mercury and Dr Popkiss then they are all here in the tv series you remember from the early 60's. Great memories from a great programme. One to have in you Gerry Anderson collection
on 19 June 2016
took me and my brother back to our childhood.... wonderful