on 8 December 2009
The DMW-LVF1E viewfinder for the Panasonic GF1 is expensive but extremely versatile. As expected, it allows photographers like me to hold the camera up to my eye. This may be a neccessary move in bright light when the screen would be almost unusable. However, it hinges through 90 degrees allowing you to hold the camera at low level without being a contortionist. This is extremely useful in close-ups of flowers etc. Finally, there is a switch on the viewfinder that allows easy switching between viewfinder and screen. If you have a GF1, then you should consider this as a potential accessory.
on 24 January 2010
This is a nice accessory for the GF1. It comes in a nice little leather case.
I bought it because I prefer to look down a viewfinder. Having said this using the GF1 is great with and without the EVF, and allot of the time I dont have the EVF on me I really dont miss it.
The resolution of the EVF is a little cause for concern as it isnt high enough to check the focus of an image accurately. So for important shots its best to stick to the LCD anyway.

Its a very well made device that compliments the GF1 very well, however its not for everyone as well as being VERY expensive.
I dont regret my purchase, but its not quite good enough for the money for real satisfaction..

its also sold cheaper elsewhere on the internet just to let you know ;)
on 24 November 2011
I purchased the LVF for my Panasonic LX5 because I found the screen useless in bright sunlight... and I like holidaying in hot places where strong sunlight is endemic! What I had not realised was the absolute brilliance of having adjustable DIOPTRIC CORRECTION. I always have to pull on my reading specs to compose the photo, but with the LVF I can adjust the dioptric correction to suit my eyes.

So yes, this is an expensive extra and perhaps it could have greater resolution but the benefits are enormous.

PANASONIC: if you read this, please build ALL your cameras in two versions, one with a VIEWFINDER with adjustable dioptric correction. I'll happily give up the useless integrated flash to make room for something as useful as a live viewfinder!
on 26 December 2009
This electronic view finder is extremely usefyl with a small camera as Panasonic GF1. It adopts easily to my vision, it can be adjusted to be bright enough to cope with the mediterranian sun, it provides all screen info, saving battery, it also can tilt downwards, an extremely practical feature when shooting low and finally it can be easily removed.I am too happy to have bought it!
on 16 December 2010
I'm using this LVF1E on a LX5 camera, and it is even more useful on this than the GF1. This is because LX5 users are less likely to want the eye level manual focus facility, and this is the only area where the LVF1E does not score maximum points, as the resolution is lower than the camera screen. Otherwise, this is a must have accessory as far as I am concerned. Expensive...yes, but it's beautifully made, (in Japan), gives a large, clear and bright eye level image, with full information, is easily switched from LVF to camera screen, and above all enables the world's best compact camera to be used at eye level, opting out of the 'arm's length' brigade. Wonderful!
on 26 March 2012
... I decided to buy the viewfinder for my beloved LX5 which I am as pleased with now as when I got it twelve months ago. It does make a huge difference in sunny weather and I was pleased to see how much easier it makes focussing for macro shots as well

Impressed by the quality of the telephoto images from the camera, the EVF makes shooting pics of sports/ outdoor events much, much easier.

As others have pointed out, viewfinder use does impose a useful discipline in viewpoint selection (I know that it shouldn't but it does!)

Being a skinflint, I really did worry that I might not find it useful enough to justify the outlay but I am very pleased I did.
on 10 July 2012
I bought this for my Leica D-Lux 5, the screen of which is unusable in bright sunlight (yes, we have had a few short periods this summer!). It works beautifully. OK you wouldn't want to focus with it, but then you can't focus with a standard 'compact' camera viewfinder anyway. I can use it with my glasses off or on, the dioptric adjustment has a good range. Was a bit nervous when I opened the box as it says it is only for use with the Panasonic camera, but the other reviews are right. It looks and works fine on the Leica and is a lot cheaper: the info display at the bottom is also easy to read. I like the button which switches between screen and viewfinder, so it will remain permanently on my camera now.
on 4 August 2011
I bought the Panasonic DMW-LVF1E Viewfinder to use with my GF1. Although the quality of the digital viewfinder image is quite poor, for owners of a certain age this might work out well, as the indifferent resolution and muted colour palette makes looking through the viewfinder like watching some 1960s Super 8 footage. Big plus in the nostalgia column. The screen on the back of the GF1 is excellent by comparison (and by most other standards) but unusable for photography in bright exterior light (much worse than the screen on the Canon G10 I had before the GF1). That is why this product is, in my opinion, essential. You can't accurately gauge colour or fine focus, but you see the complete frame (optical viewfinders will offer clarity but not accuracy) and you can hold your GF or LX like a real camera with the stability advantage that brings. It also provides full info readouts and has dioptric adjustment for eyesight correction. The tilting feature is useful too. Expensive but worth it.
on 18 October 2010
Panasonic DMW-LVF1E External Live Viewfinder for Lumix GF1
Having used my Lumix GF1 under bright African skies and experienced great difficulty in composing pictures using the screen - no matter which setting was selected - and sometimes having to resort to point and hope, I purchased the external viewfinder despite its apparent high cost. The viewfinder is fiddly to attach, but once in position gives a very clear and bright view of the intended subject while showing a comprehensive display of the various settings in use. I would highly recommend this item. If you can afford it, it makes the GF1 much easier to use in bright light conditions.
on 23 April 2012
Bought for use with the D-Lux 5, the viewfinder helps with close framing and is particularly valuable in bright sunlight. The diopter adjustment works well and it is easy to switch from viewfinder to screen. Still not cheap for an optional accessory but far more cost-effective than the Leica-branded version.