Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

The last (and first) album I listened to by Ian Shaw was his
2006 release 'Drawn To All Things : The Songs Of Joni Mitchell'.

It was a revelation. It's a brave singer indeed who
has the skill and self-belief to take on Ms Mitchell's
repertoire. Mr Shaw sang fourteen of her compositions
and lived to tell the tale! Bravo indeed!

His new album is a small masterpiece. Voice and piano
(he accompanies himself) nothing more, nothing less.
The concentrated intensity of his performances are
riveting. Whether in a light-as-a-feather rendition of
Noel Coward's 'If Love Were All' or the brutally
exposed interpretation of Nick Cave's transcendently
beautiful 'Into My Arms', he remains focussed and wonderfully
attentive to the spirit of his chosen material.
It is an exquisite engagement.

Even an old warhorse like 'Who Can I Turn To ?' comes up
smelling of roses given Mr Shaw's careful love and attention.

His tone is warm and rich and he is not afraid of taking
the occasional risk. Throwing a falsetto line up into the
air with little fear about where it might land.

Final track, a simple but lovely piano arrangement of the
Welsh folk-song 'Watching The White Wheat', gives a gentle
and affectionate nod to his roots and closes the door quietly
on this comsumately conceived and performed collection of songs.

In some ways Mr Shaw might be thought of as a "singer's singer"
but 'Somewhere Toward's Love' really does deliver something
richly rewarding for anyone who might want to take the chance.

Highly Recommended.
on 20 October 2009
Just BRILLIANT!
Esp. the title track - Somewhere Towards Love - the best song I've heard for a decade!
The antidote to manufactured pop: Real singing, real songs, just Ian solo at a piano :-))
Hugely recommend it.
review image
on 11 April 2010
I absolutely adore listening to this great collection of sensitive and well presented songs. I highly recommend this CD for anyone who needs to just take some time out and chill. Every time I get to the end of the CD I want to play it again - a sure sign of a great piece of work in my book!
on 20 October 2012
I'm not qualified to comment on the performance here, except to say that I know what I like and i like it - a lot. The recording is a different matter and that is hugely damaged by an excess of badly-judged echo. What a pity.
on 20 July 2015
So, I was on a journey from Borehamwood to Hitchin. Nobody should really have to endure that odyssey. I put on this album, that someone bought for me as a present, and I might as well have been driving through San Francisco. I was transported. There are few albums that I would give 5 stars to, but there are 5 or 6 great tracks on this album, and the others are very good. My favourite is probably ' into my arms' (Nick Cave). This is my favourite of his studio albums. (p.s. If you get the chance to see him live in a small venue, take it..)
on 14 November 2009
Ian Shaw has been "the man" for years now, but I can't get enough of this CD. "Somewhere Towards Love", may be the best song I have heard this year. Haunting, yet joyful. Ian uses his voice in a way that new artists can only hope to achieve. To see him live is an experience that exhilarates you. I highly recommend seeing him and buying this CD. His kind of genius does not come round often!
on 5 January 2010
Saw this guy live at the Swanage jazz festival (apparently he's there every year). Superb performance from just him and a piano. Some great tracks on this album - especially "Give me Life" and the title track. Also loved his Joni Mitchel covers on "Drawn to all things". Enjoy!
on 24 October 2009
One of his best todate. His voice is just fantastic. Will need to check when he is next at Pizza Express!