on 11 November 2010
All in all a very good printer. The quality of the printer is fantastic, I have even used it to do some test prints for photographs I am working on and it performs commendably. The print speed is very high, not far off the 24 pages per minute as advertised. It is also very easily to set up wirelessly, It took me about 15 minutes from getting it out of the box to printing wirelessly.

However there are flaws, Whether it is just because I am on a mac or whether it is something more intrinsically wrong I cannot say but every now and again, especially after printing a document with lots of sheets (40+) and when the printer has been turned on for a very long time it seems to get stuck on one page printing that same repeatedly until I stop It by pulling the plug. I think the cause of this is perhaps the machine overheating, My desk is next to a radiator which is a major part of the problem and cannot be helped, but I have also found that unplugging it when not in use helps as well.
Another problem I have had with this printer is Its wireless networking in. At home It worked very well from all over the house returning a strong signal. However, here at my student house, (which is a very nice victorian red brick affair) The printer does not pick up the signal very well making it haphazard at best. I don't think the thick walls help, but my laptop manages fairly well. This problem of poor signal is also exacerbated by the fact that the printer is not 802.11n enabled (Best to check your wireless network to ensure compatibility before you buy).

I want to stress though I have used this printer an awful lot, and these are the only two problems I have encountered. I am very happy with the printer overall, and It is a very good price for a wireless laser printer. Provided you are aware of these potential problems I would still recommend this printer.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 March 2010
Purchased after positive reviews for ML2525. Couldn't find reviews of the wireless version but purchased away. Set up via supplied USB cable took about 5 mins on my mac. The wireless side of things took about an hour. I followed the instructions meticulously without success and was about to give up.

After deleting and reinstalling drivers, I decided to set up using Bonjour and I was able to connect wirelessly straight away. I now have the printer working wirelessly with 2 macs.

Print quality is good for what I use it for and have been able to print from anywhere within my 2 floor flat and the garden. The flap to access the toner is flimsy and my printer arrived without a UK power lead, hence 4 stars. Otherwise an excellent wireless printer for the home/small office.

Update To Previous Review

After 2 years of light use (approx. 3 pages a month) the printer developed a fault. After pressing the 'on' button, the printer switches off after 10 seconds. Tried various trouble shooting, i.e. changing the power cable, ensuring toner was seated correctly & checking for paper jams. All to no avail. I also couldn't find anything on the web related to the problem.

Samsung technical support were unable to help & referred me to a local repair service who advised, they would simply exchange my unit for a refurb (same model) at a cost of £66.

I decided to buy a HP printer.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 January 2011
This laser printer is a joy to use after my previous ink jet printer, which kept clogging and cost a small fortune to refill. While a basic laser printer is never going to be able to compete with an ink-jet when it comes to printing photographs, I have been pleasantly surprised at how well photos do print (in greyscale, obviously), with minimal striping.

The printer is well designed and fairly solidly built, although the paper tray catches a bit if you sit the printer on a carpetted floor.

The drivers installed smoothly on my Windows Vista laptop. It was a different story with an old desktop PC that is still running Windows ME (Millennium Edition); this is not supported by the Samsung drivers. However after a bit of research I did manage to find some network-printer drivers that got this printer to work with Windows ME. (Post a comment if you need the details).

The wireless function is what primarily attracted me to this printer, since it lives in a different room from my laptop. The printer apparently uses very little electricity in standby mode, from which it wakes up in a matter of seconds. However I tend to turn it off completely, since it is often days between uses. Fortunately the printer remembers the wireless network settings, although it does take a good minute or so from turning on before the printer is registered on the network and is ready to print.

I struggled with getting the printer to take manually-fed envelopes, and have found that two pages can sometimes get pulled through at once when using the manual duplex (if the paper isn't laid evenly in the feed tray after the first pass through the printer). However, otherwise it has worked flawlessly.

Highly recommeneded.
on 11 June 2010
I purchased the Samsung ML-2525W as I wanted a compact wireless B/W laser printer for occasional use that was Mac and PC compatible and decided on this model after finding several reviews strongly recommending it.

As the first reviewer mentioned I also had problems setting this printer up to work wirelessly on the Mac; the drivers and software were installed OK but the software would show the printer as unavailable. Eventually I deleted all my printers, via the Mac control panel, and used the add option where the Samsung now appeared automatically via Bonjour. The Windows 7 install went flawlessly.

I was disappointed that the printer did not come with a few sheets of paper as I did not have any on hand to test the device after setting it up. When I did get around to testing the device I was amazed at how quickly it printed and the quality of the output is stunning.

Overall - I am very please that I bought this model.
on 8 June 2011
Great little printer. Very pleased with quality, has a carbon effect like top layer (appealing to a petrol head like me anyway!) A touch noisy on print cycle, but entirely acceptable. Very simple to use.

If installing on a Mac/OSX do not use the Samsung drivers they dont work (for most others too). Spent hours with the Samsung drivers, no luck. If you have installed the Samsung supplied or downloaded drivers, then uninstall them.

For a seamless sub 5 min wireless installation, do it like this:

1) Setup up printer hardware according to quick-start guide (supplied)
2) Insert supplied CD-ROM, dont launch the installer. Open a finder window go to /MAC_Installer/MAC_Printer/WirelessSetting directory/folder
3) Launch 'Wireless Setting' application and follow instructions
4) When you get to the window which lists available wireless networks you need to wait up to a few minutes for them to appear, your wireless network may not appear instantly) Once your network appears, continue with instructions and your printer will be setup on the wireless network.
5) Now, WITHOUT the Samsung printer driver installed, open your system prefs, where you would normally add printers. (On OSX 10.6 click the + plus icon)
6) You Mac will find the printer via the Bonjour service (wirelessly), and simply click add. Your system may download some software from Apple.
7) DONE - Happy Wireless Printing - no need for faffing around for hours with the Samsung Drivers (which dont work)

Cheers
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 October 2011
I ended up using the instructions as stated by sleeping_scorpion reviewer. I have copied them here. They worked on a modern mac laptop - before I read his instructions I didn't have a clue and couldn't get the wireless bit working. Please note I had to do something extra for an older mac 'mini' however (see my extra notes below point 6)

Here are his instructions:

For a seamless sub 5 min wireless installation, do it like this:

1) Setup up printer hardware according to quick-start guide (supplied)
2) Insert supplied CD-ROM, don't launch the installer. Open a finder window go to /MAC_Installer/MAC_Printer/WirelessSetting directory/folder
3) Launch 'Wireless Setting' application and follow instructions

My extra instructions:

However, for an older mac 'mini' desktop I followed his instructions but ALSO had to install the samsung driver off the disc (from '/MAC_Installer/MAC_Printer/Printer Driver Installer'). Double click it and you can install the driver (just follow onscreen instructions). I installed the driver AFTER I had followed his instructions above, so if you have an OLD mac I would suggest you follow the same routing as me.

It now works wirelessly from my new mac laptop, and old mac mini desktop. By the way in system preferences / internet & network / 'sharing' folder I clicked to allow 'Printer Sharing' as I didn't know if this was required (since I'm sharing the printer with more than one computer).
on 1 April 2011
It did not perform manual Duplex printing properly. The first side printed correctly but there was consistent incorrect printing of the second side. We had a replacement which took much longer to install (it was clearly one which had been returned by another customer and as a result would not recognise our wireless system in a straightforward manner). Once finally installed it had exactly the same fault. We had to have two further replacements before we could get a refund! Each of those was a non wireless model i.e not the model we had returned and not acceptable (quite apart from the fact that they would not install). When Samsung did finally agree to a refund they deducted £20 for the 'use' we had had in the long period of our dispute with them. We had of course not been able to use it and had spent a very great deal of time over the issue. We would think very carefully before buying from Samsung again.
on 26 September 2010
Purchased after positive reviews for ML2525. Set up via supplied USB cable onto my Vista based Toshiba Laptop was not a problem. The wireless side of things took about 10 minutes .

My problem was caused by the insallation of the drives etc - the drivers copied from the CD but the installation process stopped part way through. After trying this 3 times I turned off the firewalls - drivers then installed OK then turned firewalls on again. This may be a peculiarity with my computer but may prove useful to others who have the same problem.

Print quality is very good - the printer is in a wardrobe and I am able to print from anywhere within my bungalow. The flap to access the toner is a little flimsy but otherwise an excellent wireless printer for the home/small office.
on 19 September 2010
A fantastic printer. Knocks spots of the (high quality) inkjet printers I have. Extremely fast to print and a fraction of the price for ink. Did I really need to print out so many colour pages before? B/W is perfectly fine for 99%. The wireless network set up (on a PC) worked easily first time. Recommended.
on 18 May 2010
I opted for standard delivery of about 3 working days and was very impressed to hear the delivery man ringing my doorbell at about 6pm on the second working day after I had ordered the product.

I had opted for the wireless version of the laser printer so that I could also use my laptop computer to print out articles without having to be connected to the printer. After reading the instructions and using the supplied software it took me two attempts and about 40 minutes before I was up and running.

The product itself prints very clearly and prints as quickly as I could possibly require.

I would certainly recommend this product to anyone.