Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Imagine the feeling of settling down by the fire on Christmas Eve, illuminated by fairy lights, watching the snow through the window...the goosebumps you used to get as a child, and maybe still do, if you're lucky. Imagine translating that feeling into music. Well, that's what this album has done.

A welcome change from the usual tacky Christmas albums, Wonderland is as delicate and ethereal as Jack Frost, Faryl's voice clear and pure as ever. Everything about this album, from it's silvery blue cover to its tracklist, draws you into a magical world. The opening track, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, is stunning with some contemporary, poignant lyrics. Barcarolle, from Tales of Hoffman, is beautifully sung to the familiat, undulating melody, and Blow the Wind Southerly instills you with warmth and happiness. The stand out track, in an album full of quality, is Wonderland, which is set to Vivaldi's 'Winter' from the Four Seasons. This is a most inspired song, one of those tracks that makes you stop what you're doing and listen enrapt, too beautiful to drown out with the sound of anything else, I even found myself trying to breathe quietly.

I have one tiny criticism, which didn't merit giving less than five stars to this gorgeous album. The last song, How Can I Keep From Singing, was also included on her last album, the eponymously titled Faryl. It's uncessecary and lazy to re-use songs, and her production team let her down by doing so. That said, Faryl is a huge talent and a joy to listen to, and I look forward to her next album.
on 4 December 2009
Wonderland

Faryl Smith's appearance at the Albert Hall Festival of Remembrance this year - 2009 - won me over. Her dignified presentation and uplifting voice made me want more. I bought her first album but - as she said herself - the titles were chosen for her and I was disappointed as no doubt was she but this album - WONDERLAND - is refreshingly different and suits her voice and personality perfectly. With the right guidance and support I can see her replace Katherine Jenkins as the voice of our Armed Services and good luck to her. A lovely girl with a moving selection of songs.
on 12 December 2009
Perfect CD, mix of relaxing songs and anothers less relaxing, O Holy night is full of power and the rendition "Adiemus" of Karl Jenkins nearly makes you cry and is stunning; the song: "Somewhere Far Away" is a perfect mixing of vocals and amazing arrangements,and the lyrics are very beautiful.
This cd is a must have, and not only for Christmas.
on 12 January 2010
I had been looking forward to buying this CD after enjoying her debut album. I certainly wasn't disappointed. The difference in maturity from first to second is just amazing. Her voice is mellow and flowing, pure and clear. And how it soars in Night of Silence! Just heavenly!

I must also mention her performance of Hymn to the Moon. I would imagine this is usually performed by an experienced singer, such as Anna Netrebko, but Faryl takes it to new heights with her powerful rendition. I still find it hard to believe she's only fourteen!

Faryl, if you read this, well done, young lady! You do yourself credit with such a beautiful album, and I look forward to the next.
on 27 December 2009
I have one tiny criticism, which didn't merit giving less than five stars to this gorgeous album. The last song, How Can I Keep From Singing, was also included on her last album, That said, Faryl is a huge talent and a joy to listen to, and I look forward to her next album. As long as there are no more repeats
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2010
I haven't stopped listening to this album since I received it a couple of days ago. The voice that comes from this young girl's mouth is extraordinary. And so mature for one so young. This album came out at the end of last year off the back of her debut which was at the beginning of the year. This one is superb to say the least.

The album opens with 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (Somewhere Far Away)' a beautifully sung arrangement which leads on to the rest of the album, which to my mind, is just a triumph. All the tracks are brilliantly arranged and sung exquisitely by this young nightingale who sings so beautifully and sweetly. Tracks such as 'Adiemus' by Karl Jenkins, 'How Can I Keep From Singing' and the Carpenters' 'Close To You' are just some of the highlights.

Am looking forward to hearing more from this extraordinary talent who burst onto the scene in 'Britain's Got Talent' in 2008. She may be 13 years old nearly 14 years old but her singing voice is like that of Katherine Jenkins. This second album is a feast for the ears. This comes highly recommended. This is serious talent that shouldn't be ignored.
on 7 February 2011
Faryl Smith is a teenage contestant from a TV talent show, that quickly became a major hit with the public for her wonderful singing voice.

After the success of her debut album ("Faryl"), it was perhaps possible that the second might not be as good. However, I enjoyed it just as much. There is an interesting mix of tracks, although they are slightly more religious based than the first album.

I really enjoyed the track "O Holy Night" which has had the voice of Luciano Pavarotti digitally added to make it sound like a duet. "Barcarolle" is another favourite of mine and has a beautiful lilt to the track that makes you envisage a room of dancers at a classic ball.

I really hope that they take good care of this young lady and that she continues to produce work of this quality in the years to come.
on 21 October 2009
Although I am laying myself open to an earbashing for previewing rather than reviewing this album, a practice which I usually find as irritating as the next person, I am basing this review on three full tracks from this album that I have actually heard. They are, "Somewhere Far Away", a new song set to the theme music of the film "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence". "The Prayer", which has been done many times by others, but Faryl's version includes a choir, and the title song "Wonderland", another new song but set to Vivaldi's "Winter" from the "Four Seasons". I was very impressed by her voice in the latter. Her diction is excellent throughout these tracks and she is note perfect. She is accompanied on this album by Masquerade Choir and the Crouch End Festival Chorus, and if that is not mouth watering enough, Then add The Royal Phiharmonic Orchestra to the whole and you have the makings of an album that could prove to be something special. The five star rating I have given is, I think, justified by the quality of these three tracks plus a small piece of Karl Jenkins' "Adiemus" that I have also heard.
33 Comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2009
I was moved by the album, admittedly it was a Christmas present for my mother, but i love some of the classics featured here and some contemporary peaces to. i'm a music lover anyway so music across the spectrum appeals to me. I just wanted to thank Amazon for delivering it as i know it was late order. My advise to you all is if you like choirs in the back ground and a young girls voice of natural talent, that pours through get it as a late present, I'm a Welsh man with generations of singers and from the land of song, you wont be disappointed dear Great Britan. (*****)
on 23 December 2009
After purchasing Faryl Smith's first album I knew I just had to have the new one too. She has such talent it's hard to believe that she is just fourteen years old! Every song is sung with such poise. I hope she gets over to perform in America too.