on 7 April 2012
This Charlie Parker book sets the main characters for the ensuing series.
Charlie is the accountant with her brother,Ron, the PI.
However,when Ron is away Charlie can't help getting involved in a case where her married friend's boyfriend is murdered.
Charlie is a very engaging character with a very enquiring mind so you will like her enormously as she investigates.
This is an enjoyable mystery which will keep you guessing & not want to put the book down
I have read almost all the series & they are all different & exciting as well as most interesting because of the different locales which are described as part of the story & not just as a travelogue.
Connie Shelton is a great find as a mystery story teller.
on 18 January 2013
I did get through this book but wondered why I bothered. The main character is a little too unbelievable - trying to be friends with her ex best friend who ran off with her fiance. The main 'plot' involves her deciding to talk to one person in the case and then another, learning basically nothing each time. There is also a lot about the main characters' day-to-day life - eating breakfast, walking the dog etc all in great detail. There is no suspense and, at the end, she seems able to just shrug everything off. The book isn't offensive, it isn't terrible but it isn't that interesting either.
on 16 June 2016
While I found the general story line satisfying, and enjoyed the characters and their plights, I never really connected with any of the characters, and found the climax to be a bit lacking. I don't want to put in any spoilers, but I feel a mystery should have enough clues along the way that at the end, you have the big "AHA" moment and thump yourself on the forehead for not figuring it out sooner. I didn't find that to be the case, so I was left feeling a little unfulfilled.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 August 2014
i bought this a few years ago, looking for something lightweight, but didn't get round to reading it until now. I was disappointed in it as there was no humour. It is a straightforward whodunnit, but even then, it is pretty obvious. I struggled to finish it as I couldn't work up any enthusiasm for the characters.
on 9 September 2016
A good read. Straightforward deceive story with a female in central role. No romances or sizzling between and that made a nice change from the usual cozy. My only thing was the title is misleading.... The dog didn't really play a central role and was at home most of the time!
on 30 January 2014
First time I've read Connie Shelton and her main character,Charlie Parker.Reminds me of the bumbling Colombo,you've just got to keep reading to find out what happens next.
Certainly recommend this Charlie Parker Series to all my reading friends.
on 2 November 2013
After enjoying other books by this author I tried and have enjoyed the story line for Charlie Parker. What I like about this author you have likeable caricatures good story lines without unnecessary violence and sexual description.
on 22 January 2013
Really enjoyed that - my first book with this character. Liked the person Charlie Parker. Perhaps a few too many food descriptions but, on the other hand, the frequently mentioned Mexican food certainly made me hungry!
on 4 June 2016
The storyline is ok but not outstanding and I found myself skim reading parts to get to the end. The characters are all a bit superficial, although they may get more depth in the future, there are quite a few more.
on 1 March 2013
I liked this book very much. I like to read a wide variety of books to broaden my horizons. I will certainly read more of this author.
As a mystery it kept me occupied, and that is what I like.