Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 October 2009
Hi all,

It's worth noting that this release is not remastered, contains no bonus tracks, therefore, if you own this already, you will not be getting anything that you don't have already.

Apparently there will be a double cd released "next year"
on 7 May 2010
Well, I bought this on the strength of nostalgia. Having recently watched Danny Dyer again in "The Business" and loving the soundtrack, I hankered for a bit of 80s music and I decided to give this album a shot.
I do remember at the time thinking how over hyped they were and getting annoyed that at almost every teenage party I went to , someone HAD to put this album on.
Time has mellowed me I think and I have found the revisit a very enjoyable one. Listening carefully to this album (rather than hearing it as background noise, whilst drunk on cider, cheap lager or vodka at aforementioned teenage parties) I have been pleasantly suprised at the quality - the "hits" are evident stand outs but the whole album works extremely well and the production is the key.
A far higher standard of music than I remembered (although maybe I'm just at that age when everything from my youth sounds better ??) and a producer who really pulled out all the stops.
on 6 August 2012
On a personal note, I have always known Frankie's standout tracks - 'Relax', 'Two Tribes' and most of all, 'The Power of Love'. Before and during Christmas of 2010, I became infatuated with 'The Power of Love' because it was being played all the time due to its' Christmas 'theme', if you will. Then, I heard about this album and the supposed 'classic' status it was meant to have. So, seeing it on sale in the January sales of last year (at the time of writing), I picked it up and the rest is History!!!!

From that first listen onwards, I was hooked to Frankie. I mean, for a band that was, quite literally, a **** take, they really have created a "Classic" here, and I do not say that often with albums!! Each of the band members were just "lads on the dole in Liverpool", according to lead singer Holly Johnson, before making this record. To think of things that way just leaves me speechless.

The album itself, upon first listen, is "dated" - a real throwback to the '80s. The Nixon/Reagen impersonator on the record should clarify that... but this is an album that I consider to be as fresh today as it ever was back then. There's not a song that I don't particularly like - everything 'flows' together wonderfully. My favourite song is, of course, 'The Power of Love' - "one of the best love songs ever written", Gary Barlow said that, I do believe! A very close second would be the track 'San Jose', simply bliss!

There's also a pretty class cover of Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' on this and a remix/cover of the Motown Edwin Starr classic, 'War'.

Final verdict, Buy This! It may seem "dated" now, but post-first listen, you will not be saying that at all, just my two cents!

Buy it. Money well spent!!

Thanks for reading this. I hope it helps.

Buyer Beware: Just to note, there is a slight problem with the Track listing of this record, especially on iTunes. I can't exactly describe the issue here, but when you burn the disc to an iTunes Library, you should see the problem pretty easily. Just so you, the buyer, are aware of it prior to purchase. In the heel of the hunt, not a big issue at all.
on 11 February 2013
I used to have this album many years ago and then lost it a long time ago. I recently heard Two Tribes on the radio and decided to buy it again - I had forgotten how awesome this album is and I am listening to it a lot at the moment.
Welcome to the Pleasuredome was a joy when it came out and has plenty of power and freshness. Some have argued that the inclusion of cover versions does very little for the album, but I don't think that detracts greatly from the overall feel of what was a double album when it came out on vinyl.

The whole thing has an art school feel to it - screeching noises mixed in with Ferry Across the Mersey and a variety of other links that seem to work well. Here was a dance record that crossed over thanks to rock and pop sensibilities and there were plenty of highlights. The title track, although long, was never over-cooked and Relax and War earned their own notoriety through radio play or lack of it.

The whole thing hangs together extremely well and the big ballad The Power of Love was a triumphal conclusion to the whole effort. Sadly Holly Johnson and the guys could never keep it together long enough to build on the success of what became a one off although Johnson did go on to have short-termed success as a solo artist.
on 17 February 2016
"I'm sorry, I left me card at home",
"Well, you're late as well. That's three times on the run. The supervisor says if you're late again, we've gotta put you on daily signing."
Followed by Holly's cry "Ha" - is it of anguish or anger? This is the run-in to Frankie's version of Springsteen's "Born to Run" which in my humble opinion is better than the original.

What on earth are you going on about? I hear you ask. Well, these are the opening lines to just one track on the magnum opus that is "Welcome to the Pleasuredome." And a pleasuredome it is too - a roller coaster ride of magnificently produced gargantuan sound. Every track is an absolute pleasure to listen to - from the opening track with sounds of birds singing, to the ending with the narrator repeating "Frankie say, Frankie say, Frankie say...No more!" I love it - every minute of it. The highlights are; the three singles (of course), the title track, and Frankie’s own version of Edwin Starr’s “War”. Take time out, grab some good headphones and listen to the whole sixty minutes with no interference from any extraneous noise - I guarantee you'll regard it as one of the best hours of your life.
This is, without doubt, the best album of the 80s - even better than Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love." Just one gripe - I'm sure that on my original vinyl version, there was a track featuring a Prince Charles soundalike asking "Just what exactly is meant by orgasm?" That seems to be missing here - or did I only imagine it on the original?
Listen - go buy this album now - I promise you won't be disappointed.
on 25 October 2012
Mike reid tried to get Relax banned from the BBC playlist, and this catapulted FGTH to reach the Top. Funny isn't it what tripe radio 1 plays now, nothing said....This is a Brilliant Album, His voice is unique and 'Two Tribes' is played non stop. A classic album, Buy It or miss out on real music....
on 31 March 2010
I HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS TO BE A CLASSIC.... I WOULD BUY IT STRAIGHT AWAY.... IT IS ALL KILLER....
This has to be one of my favorite albums of all time. It has everything from the unmistakable Relax and Two Tribes, the excellent covers of Born to run and San Jose and my personal favourite and title track Welcome to the Pleasuredome (that is also the best value for money song to play on a juke box). To round it all off you have the scouse wit that sits between some of the tracks.
on 3 February 2013
welcome to the pleasurdome is still a good album after thirty plus years and is still worth buying today if you have not got it already.