VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 December 2009
As someone who adored Frank's last album, "Love, Ire & Song", I have to confess that I found "Poetry Of The Deed" a lot more difficult to fall in love with, but it eventually happened. Frank has taken a slightly different direction with "Poetry Of The Deed", featuring more of a full band sound than his previous solo works and, admittedly it has taken a little of the edge away from his confrontational style, but once you adjust to it you're realise what a tremendously good album it is, with some truly great moments. The really quite pretty "Isabel", for example, is a touching working class love song. "Sons Of Liberty" is the track on the album most typical of Frank's previous style, being a rabble-rousing angry protest at the stripping away of our privacy and civil liberties, plus it features a rip-roaring fiddle solo - it's probably my pick of the whole release. "The Road" is a catchy and memorable song, predictably, about travelling. However, where many artists have made the mistake of writing songs about being on the road which are tedious and difficult for the average person to understand, Frank's attempt as such a song is excellent and doesn't fall into the trap of predictability.

"Richard Divine" is a superb character-story composition about a pathos-edged suicide, with excellent lyrics. The powerful "Our Lady Of The Campfires" is another character-based tale, packed with wonderfully-descriptive imagery. Finally, the album closer, "Journey Of The Magi" will please the fans of Turner's previous solo albums, being a wistful piece which talks of biblical/historic characters and the reflections they make about their life journey. Those are my personal favourites, but there isn't a dull moment on this whole album. It's a consistently good piece of work which, while it may conflict existing fans slightly with the more mainstream sound, is easily comparable to his previous work in terms of passion and songwriting quality. Ultimately, I don't think "Poetry Of The Deed" is as good as "Love, Ire & Song", but it's not far behind and it could definitely win him an army of new fans just on the basis of these songs alone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 June 2017
This is not Frank turners strongest album, but it is a decent record with some good tracks.love ire and song, or sleep is for the weak are for me much more enjoyable, I don't find myself coming back to this one very often.
on 2 November 2009
While I also found the sound of the album different initially (compared to Love Ire & Song) this album definitely grows on you because of the excellent songs (e.g. Sons of Liberty, Isabel, Journey of the Magi) once you hear the lyrics above the band volume. Again a great diversity of musical styles and tones and Frank's irrepressible honesty. Heard "Live" these tracks are as powerful as his previous album and sound really excellent. Turn up the volume! Saw him play these Live at the O2 Shepherds Bush last week to an ecstatic audience who already seemed to to know every word... brilliant!
on 26 January 2014
I'm working backwards through Frank Turner's albums, having only started listening in the last two years. You can see the progression through his albums, which is nice. I think I prefer the songs on Love Ire & Song and England Keep My Bones (love every song on both albums), but its up to personal taste and diehard fans from the beginning will most likely disagree with me. Have a listen yourself - it wasn't very much to buy - and see what you think. I particularly like 'The Road', which was the main reason I bought the album.
on 18 August 2015
The man of the moment,hes just had his new cd go to number3 in the top 40 album chart and it looks like its going to do the same in the USA.This his his 3rd album and i would recommend all 6.Buy.
on 27 July 2017
Loved it
on 10 October 2015
What an album this guy is so talented not a bad track.....Fantastic would recommend to anybody.....Sublime
on 23 October 2013
Tried very much to like this after hearing him on Steve Lamacq's anniversary tribute radio show, but apart from one or two tracks (The Road) it's really just above average pub rock.
on 29 December 2013
What can I say brilliant album, you will love every track. A must for any fan, this won't disappoint you. I treated myself for Xmas
on 3 November 2013
brill cd saw him at reading festival on the tv, and enjoyed listening, bought the cd for my hubby and he is trilled with it