Customer reviews

The Graduate
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2011
Nerina Pallot shot to prominence with the success of Everybody's gone to war and the excellent album that spawned it, Fires. Fires has 7 or 8 excellent tracks with only a couple of average filler tracks at the end. With The Graduate the position is reversed. There are two excellent tracks, single `Real Late Starter' and `Why I am such a bitch', but a lot of uninspired material.
Most of it's not bad - a repetitive disco track that wouldn't have made it onto a very average disco album ca 1980 apart- there are some good lyrics and Nerina has a great voice but it's just that the standard of melodic invention isn't on the level of her last effort.
Worth having if you can pick it up for a fiver.
on 20 December 2016
Excellent Cd buying this copy to give to someone who hasn'ty heard her !
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
excellent service & as described well done
on 8 October 2012
I only wrote this as I disagree with a lot of the reviews I have read here! This is better than FIRES for me and is an excellent album!
Nerina's finest - TBH she is MUCH BETTER live - so go see her if you can
on 4 January 2013
not her best album but still worth having in your library
she should be more well known brilliant musician and singer
on 14 June 2014
A very good collection of wellcrafted songs. Has a few songs on there which you will still be humming in your grave.
on 21 October 2009
Nerina Pallot I first discovered, like many, back in 2006 with Everybody's Gone To War. I fell in love with the album Fires when I bought it on the strength of that single. I have been dying for some new material and this album hasn't disappointed.

I was alarmed when I read on the net over the year Nerina talking about going pop this time out.. well she hasn't abandoned her sound from fires but she has updated it a little.
Lots of the tracks this time out sound more accessible than the stuff on Fires... you can see radio playing her a bit more this time out and hopefully, Nerina will deservedly widen her fanbase...

Nerina still maintains her spunkiness/ feistiness in many tracks on this album and there are moments showing sincere vulnerability again this time.

My personal favourites:
Everything's Illuminated: a catchy opening track, single potential I suspect.
Real Late Starter: I love this track, a great choice for first single. Good ol' feisty Nerina telling it like it is.
I Don't Want To Go Out: First thought it was a tad too poppy, but it's insanely catchy.
It Starts: the lush strings and sparse piano-led arrangement hark back to the beauty of Sophia, not a bltant rip off, a beautiful track in its own right
When Did I Become Such A Bitch: More feisty nerina, another possible single, I love the piano riff.
Cigarette: First listen, seems a little weird and over produced .. but its actually a very soothing, calming track..

If you buy the physical cd, and put it into cd drive and follow instructions on cd booklet, you can download bonus track "Long Tall Grass Of Summer" off Nerina's website, it's a nice , relaxing track... well worth downloading.

I Also found God Of Small Things on Itunes as a bonus, it's a beautiful, wistful piano ballad... another gem worth searching out if you like Nerina's work

All in all, I think this album is a cracker... I'm glad Nerina didn't sell out and produce bubble gum pop drivel that I feared she was talking off.

Everything good about Fires is evident here: great vocals, clever and catchy lyrics, fab instrumentation and melodies.. There's something a little more accessible this time though. I can't put my finger on it, some production touches make it sound more radio friendly, up to date... and I do hope Nerina can garner some new fans and enjoy some well deserved commercial success at last... this album was well worth the wait and is certainly a job well done.
on 11 October 2009
Brilliant album, such a talented singer/songwriter/ musician.
Wide range of music from pop to ballards. Influences from Norah Jones to Eddie Reader [ Fairground Attraction]
I would reccommed to all!
on 25 August 2011
Great service,came quickly and well packaged at the right price.I would defiantly use the service again to purchase my music.
on 29 October 2010
`The Graduate' has not had an easy birth. After the superb yet commercially disappointing `Fires', Nerina was guided towards collaborating with other big name songwriters but none of that material appears on this finished product which she has released on her own 14th Floor record label. This all speaks volumes about the music industry and its machinations. Aimee Mann was also forced down this route and ended up writing and issuing her own stuff through her own label. Why can't people recognise that talent needs to be nurtured not interfered with?

So what of `The Graduate' - named in honour of Nerina passing her Degree in English Literature? Whereas `Fires' has a pervading atmosphere of worthiness and endeavour, `The Graduate' sounds much looser and almost playful in a way that allows her personality and humour to come through. She has widened her horizons and included material that is at one extreme, pure pop and which may have the Scissor Sisters wondering whether to take her on as songwriter, and at the other, more experimental.

In the former camp is the wonderful `Real Late Starter', a peon to slackers everywhere, the knowing `I Don't Want To Go Out' and the self deprecating `When Did I Become Such a Bitch?' All these show her kooky character to its best advantage. But she can be serious, as the touching `Coming Home' about her father shows and she can be quite breathtaking as in `It Starts' where she tries on Kate Bush's shoes and finds that not only do they fit, they allow her to run for miles and be earnest without mawkishness.

The key track in the experimental category is `Cigarette' which at a languid 5 plus minutes is a maelstrom of influences from early Bowie and Pink Floyd through to psychedelia period Beatles. I feel this may be the divider for her fans to date and already it is prompting much comment amongst reviewers. Personally, I love it but more importantly, I think it points the way for her as an artist so that her USP is pushed as far away from the pack as possible. In summary, this is another fine album from a great talent who is refusing to stand still and has brushed off the doubters and ploughed her own furrow. Long may it continue.