Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

Size: Medium|Colour: Black|Change

on 7 August 2014
Like most of the reviews here, I was over the moon with these tips when i first got them. I placed the first pair onto my HiFiMan RE-0 earphones and within minutes was enjoying much improved detail, low end bass, focus and clarity in everything I listened to. Given how comfortable they were to wear too, they were an absolute joy and made an already good pair of headphones into an astoundingly good pair. I'm not a heavy headphone user. I get monthly trips with my work which involve train travel and so they get a few hours use every few weeks, but even then, the first pair of these gave me less than 3 weeks worth of use. Hoping it was a one off, I fitted the second pair and treated them with kid gloves - never stretching them, twisting them or placing excessive force on them, but once again, the second pair lasted about the same amount of time. At that point I knew that by the time I'd fitted the third and final pair, it was time to start looking for alternatives. The problem with them is that they lose their shape and go soft, so no longer form a good bond with the ear canal, so the bass disappears and they end up sounding tinny and hollow.
Here's a tip though. You can get VERY close to these by getting yourself a box of the foam earplugs from Boots the Chemist - They come in a light blue box and contain 3 pairs costing around £3. You need a retractable ballpoint pen and a sharp knife (I actually did this without the knife, sat on a train, that's how easy it is to do). Place your pen in the middle of one of the earplugs and push through all the way until the pen tip comes out the other side. Now turn it around and just push the pen through the other way so the hole is about the same size at both ends. Once you've done that, cut the earplug in half using the knife (I just tore it in half with my fingers) and now stretch the hole in each plug over the earpieces of your earphones and you're done. Now you just compress the plugs slightly before inserting into the ears.
This idea may not last any longer than the Comply tips (I've only just started doing this so cannot comment on how long they last yet) but cost much less and are far easier to obtain when you're travelling.
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2010
I use NC-22 Sony Noise Cancelling earphones with my Ipod Nano, but I have never been able to get a perfect in-ear fit with any of the supplied rubber ear buds. As a consequence the noise cancelling/reduction is good, but not perfect. These little foam tips make an ENORMOUS difference. It's just like having ear plugs in. They are very comfortable and extremely good at shutting out background noise - in fact so much so that I have taken to sometimes switching off the active noise cancelling on the NC22 because it's not needed. Despite the outrageous price, these tips are worth every penny in my opinion.

PS. there is conflicting information on the internet for which earphones these foam tips fit. Very annoying! There is a list on the back of the packet which I have reproduced here for the T-400 series:
altec lansing backbeat classic, plus, pro;
audio-technica ATH-ANC3, -CK1, -CK7, -CK32, -CK52, -CKM50; Auvio 33-266, - 267, -268, -271, -286, -289;
Creative -EP630 and -EP830;
Philips SHE 8500, 9500, 9501, 9600, 9700, 9800, SHS 8000
Plantronics Voyager 855;
Radius Atomic Bass;
Sennheiser CX-95, CX-300, CX-400, CX-500, IE-6, IE-7, IE-8, MM-50;
Skullcandy Titan, Full Metal Jacket, INK'D, Smokin' Buds, Riot, Holua, Asym, Striker;
Sony MDR-AS40EX, -EX32, -EX51LP, -EX55LP, -EX71SLA, -EX75, -EX81LP, -EX85LP, -EX90LP, -NC11, -NC22;
TDK EB900;
Ultimate Ears Metro Fi: 100, 150, 170, 200, 220, SuperFi 4/4vi, SuperFi 5/5vi;
V-Moda Vibe, Vibe II, Vibe-Duo, bass-freq, sport series;
2XL Bunny, nuevo sonido, snake eyes, wrecking ball.

I can't vouch for how accurate this list is, but this is copied straight off the back of the pack. More details are on the comply website.

By the way, I ordered from Handheld Audio and they came within two days. Very good service.
on 21 August 2012
I've found these buds do make the headphones sound better, however - they completely fall apart very quickly. I bought a 3 pack at the start of June, and 2 pairs have already disintegrated! I am on the third pair now, and I can already feel them perishing.

And as they are coming apart - you get wee bits of black foam in your ears, which isn't nice at all. They are not cheap enough to warrant replacing every 3 months.

Very disappointed - I will be going back to rubber tips once this last pair die. A shame, too, as and they do sound good.
on 25 March 2016
Do not buy this product. When I purchased Comply ear tips years ago they were far better quality, lasting years.

Now, they disintegrate and fall apart within a matter of weeks. Soon the outer plastic layer will fade, then the memory foam cushion itself will tear and fall apart.

Extremely disappointing and will not be buying it again. Such a shame as these kind of foam tips, are the best at blocking outside noise.
on 3 May 2012
Having now used the correct version for these for my Sennheiser earbud phones, I am pleased to report that they make a noticeable improvement to the sound. The main reason is that I can get a much better more reliable and comfortable seal between the phones and my ear.

If you're buying these for the first time, I suggest getting the pack with different sizes first. I had assumed that medium would be fine for me, but it turned out that large size worked best, even on my right ear where I've always had problems getting earbuds to fit reliably.

Also take a little while to get used to them and find the best way of fitting them. At first I tried just stuffing the eabuds into my ear canal, but later I found squishing down the foam first before inserting the buds worked best. It took me about two weeks to get used to them, and a couple of times I almost went back to the standard tips, but I am very glad I persisted.

The foam tips don't completely block off all the outside sound, but they do reduce it considerably. They have been sufficient to listen to music in comfort even the Victoria line on the London Underground, which is typically pretty noisy when clattering along at 40+ MPH in a narrow tunnel.
on 7 December 2013
In terms of function, these are superb. It's absolutely astounding how a simple pair of tips can change the performance of the earphones entirely. I've tried different kinds of of earphone tip; the stock rubber/silicon tips that come with most pairs, "marshmallow" foam tips and even recently tried something that's a bit of cheap "rip-off" of these Comply tips. But nothing comes close to the seal, isolation and comfort you get with the Comply tips. You forget they're in your ears. They expand inside your ears and create a seal so that everything is clearer; bass is more pronounced and the outside world is barely audible even with nothing playing. If you listen to music more than casually - and you have a decent pair of earphones - these will, quite simply, boost their performance considerably.

The downside of these is the price. It's £15 for three pairs which makes them £5 a pair. That would be an absolute bargain if they lasted for a long time. But they don't. The fact is, after a week or two of use you'll be wanting to switch to a new pair. If you opt for the coloured tips be prepared for them to show up every bit of dirt from inside the pocket you keep them in but it clings to it. After a little while longer, the foam will start to crack and tear until eventually they're unusable.

So the issue is, really, that while they're brilliant, they're not in any shape or form a long term investment. They're almost disposable - and at that price it's going to be pretty costly to keep using them. Because once you get used to them you'll really resent having to go back to normal tips.

In short:

PROS -
* Unbeatable comfort and isolation. No other tip will do once you've gotten used to these.

CONS -
* Pretty pricey. At £15 for three pairs, you'll struggle to fine more expensive earphone tips
* Poor longevity. They don't last for more than a few weeks.
* Prone to get very dirty and they're not easy to clean.
on 30 November 2016
These are perfect for isolating outside noise when using earphones. Very simple to use, albeit a bit fiddly to install onto earphones as the foam squashes as you're trying to get them on. In use they are very effective but lifespan depends on how often you use them. Lasted about a year before the foam started to deteriorate. Pricey for what they are, but they are effective.
on 3 March 2010
I have had my Sennheiser IE8 earphones for about a year but never felt comfortable with the supplied tip options. I read some reviews and thought I would try the Comply T-400M tips. On trying to fit them I found the inner sleeve of the tips to be a fraction too tight to fit over the IE8 stems requiring a lot of effort to position them resulting in actually snapping off one of the stems. Fortunately it snapped back into position ("phew!").
Once in place and in use - fantastic. Extremely comfortable and secure with reasonable isolation but not completely cut off from the outside world. However I am concerned that I am going to struggle to replace them with fresh tips without risking snapping off the stems again as they are starting to get a bit grotty.
Positives- more comfortable and secure than supplied tips as they do not feel like they are continually trying to fall out.
Negatives - Tight fit makes them hard to change with the risk of damaging to the stems in the process. They quickly get grotty.
on 31 July 2014
Like others have said, they are great.....while they last......which they don't!

I suspect each set lasted roughly a month before falling to pieces. So it would be £60 a year to keep using these, which is far too much.
on 13 July 2012
When used with a pair of SoundMagic E30 earphones, I found the difference in sound, comfort and isolation to be totally negligible. As others have said they get dirty quickly and are hard to clean.

I definitely wouldn't buy these again.

Update: the first pair of these just disintegrated after less than two months of light use.