on 28 November 2010
I confess first of all I have not opened the box this microscope came in (for returning purposes) which is why I have given the product the liberty of two stars.
I am after a microscope for my young cousin to encourage an interest in science. You can see through the plastic screen in the box how shockingly small it is, and is made of a lightweight plastic (nothing like the metal seen in the picture). It seems nothing more than novel with little potential for practical use. However I do press the point, I have not actually used it so could be very wrong. But for present purposes it looks more like a joke than a useful or thoughtful gift, so I am instead returning this and going for one made by National Geographic for about the same price. Theirs is made of cast metal and has twice the zoom of this one not to mention a case and technical accessories, as well as being a realistic useable size.
on 15 January 2012
ZERO STARS This was bought for my young son. The previous poster is right the thing is cheap light-weight plastic. Overall it is almost complete rubbish. Using the 100x magnification one can just about make things out but at the 300x and 600x magnification the quality of the optics are so poor one can only see the rough surface of the lenses. Rubbish! I think it is criminal that stuff like this is allowed on the market.
on 4 January 2014
This item was exactly as described would certainly recommend. Microscope looked quite professional better quality than I expected for childs use.
on 7 July 2014
This was a cheep toy which was unusable. A waste of money. The seller refunded the money straight away